Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I see no reason to hide. If we all had the courage to come out and call things like they are perhaps one day all religion would fade away and society could concentrate on important things like climate change.

its frustrating living in a world where people think god is real. I agree with you, if people lived with reality instead of thinking all things that happen because its "gods will" or whatever.. the world would be a better place.

Open agnostic (borderline atheist) per se, but I never pronounce it to those around me out of the same respect that I don't like theists throwing doing it. If you ask me, I'll tell you. I won't bring it up unprovoked as it seems just as annoying as some theist doing their pompous routine.

You won't find a Coexist or Rocket fish sticker on my car because: (1) it looks stupid, and (2) I love my car and don't want some salty theist keying it.

Open but I don't wear the shirt. I don't care what others are I wish others didn't care what I am.

Open, but not obnoxious like a vegan. I even have it listed on my ERB (for those in the military). No ones ever challenged me on it, even when I don't bow my head at ceremonies.

I've been open about it since I studied philosophy in undergrad, even though I was the oldest son raised in an Orthodox Jewish family and community. It was difficult at first but a couple of my siblings and my mom later joined me and it has now been about twenty-five years. Over the past few years, I have become more actively involved in helping others that have left fundamentalist religious environments.

joez Level 2 Oct 3, 2017

Open 95 % of the time

I don't really talk about it much, since I live in Tennessee. I've masted the art of talking about Christianity with believers without ever mentioning myself, but if they ever do ask, I do tell them I'm an atheist. Usually they never ask though, because of the speech I deploy as a matter of convenience.

Derek Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

Would it be dangerous and/or equal to career suicide to not hide it where you live?

Somewhere in between. I try to avoid discussions of religion, and don't really talk about being an atheist, since I live in KY which is a highly religious area, but if anyone were to investigate my facebook page, it is pretty obvious, as I follow a lot of atheist pages.

I am a witch... healer... who believes we are ignorant of physical processes and have religion to thank for it. I believe we create our own realities. I am openly who I am and have been for over 50 years

Open.

Afra Level 2 Sep 30, 2017

I am highly critical of superstition and how it affects public life. So I am naturally critical of religious people since they usually use these religious beliefs to affect other people’s lives. If people handle their religion with the same level of privacy they have for their underwear (e.g you don’t talk about your underwear nor do you vote with it, nor do you impose it on your children). If religion was truly a private matter, I’d be what you call a closeted agnostic/atheist. But I am very often forced to deal with loud public insanity. Being “open” is what you should do. If earth flatteners were outspoken about their beliefs and everywhere, you’d have no choice but to address them and be “open” about believing the earth a sphere.

I'm open about being an atheist with everyone except for my extended family. I don't feel the need to hide who I am with people, family being that exception due to them being so judgemental.

Good points. Crazily enough, the believers in my family think I'm the judgmental one.

Open.

For the most part open. Those that I told are my friends, mom, dad and my stepmom and stepbrother. My mom told my grandmother and I have no clue who she told so its just safe to assume I'm out to my moms whole side of the family. I told those I felt I needed to be honest with and when I wasn't open it scared me. I had three panic attacks before I was able to tell my mom.

Wow, three panic attacks! Glad you overcame it.

open as it seems so obvious that I donot feel like hemming and hawing.

I'm mostly closeted due to the extremely Christian setting I live in, but recently I've started to gradually come out to various people. For example, when I'm meeting someone new now, and if they happen to ask about my "faith", I'll just tell them I'm an atheist. It hasn't had negative results yet. However with that being said, there are still a lot of people close to me that think I'm disinterested at most.

let them think what ever, it is their problem.

Seems like you found an approach that works for you, and are adjusting gradually. Good for you ????????

Please excuse the question marks. I literally just noticed them.

I am becoming more and more open about my atheism all the time. I had an interesting experience over the past year volunteering with a couple of campaigns for Democratic candidates. It took the 2016 election to get me off my ass. With the other campaign volunteers, I was open about my atheism and was pleasantly surprised to find that the majority of my fellow activists were non-believers (and I'm living in Pennsyltucky). I'm not talking about the Dems whose doors we knocked on, but the people doing the door knocking, the people working the fair booths, the people running the campaigns. There are a lot more of us out there than I thought and I only discovered that by being open myself.

Open so much I piss people off. Ive started to avidly avoid religious discussion.

I am open, always have been. i don't live in circumstances that threaten me physically for being an atheist, and i am confident enough in this area (by no means ALL areas!) not to be threatened mentally by the disapproval or misunderstanding of others. that is NOT to say we are not discriminated against! there are still a lot of states where atheists can't run for office; there are people whose families disown them for being atheists, or even just joining a different congregation. people are attacked and killed for their religions and sometimes for their lack thereof. i don't know how i would behave if i found myself in such situations, but i do not find myself there, and am open.

g

Open but very few people ask and I am in N.Ireland now.

Very open. Why - because I believe in integrity and being honest about who I am and what I believe. I don't go around preaching the gospel of it though. Did that when I was a Christian, and vowed never to make the same mistake twice.

100% open. It took awhile to get there, but it was a lot easier after all my Christian friends bailed 😉

I don't proclaim and proselytize but I don't hide anything either.

Tonight an atheist friend and I went to a wine tasting. He's 82 has tons of dirty jokes and can be an obnoxious atheist, definitely more than merely open about his atheism.

There was a Trump supporter at our table which really pisses my buddy off. He told jokes about a vibrator and another about orgies. The liberal older woman next to me asked if he always gets drunk in public and I riposted he's high on life as an atheist. She asked if I'm atheist, then we had a discussion on being atheist in Utah and went back to wine tasting.

II've only just admitted to myself that I'm an agnostic atheist, and I haven't "come out" in the sense that I've made an announcement about it... not because I'm ashamed, but simply I don't think it warrants an announcement. I talk passionately about things like separation of Church and state, and also vocally challenge theists on their beliefs, so I guess people are noticing that. I also post a few links to atheist pages, outlooks, etc, on my socials, so I don't think it's a secret.

I am happy to answer someone who asks me directly, but it has been interesting that nobody actually has asked yet!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.