Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have an "Evolve" fish on the rear window of my truck.

I guess I'm semi-closeted. I'm open about it on Facebook but I tend to try and hide it amognst strangers. I've been in a lot of therapy and it tends to stress spirituality. I would never share with a group and I'm extremely hesitant to share with an individual therapist that I'm an atheist.

I'm open about it — and even in rural areas like where I live, it's not stigmatized like it once was (though i'm sure there are many exceptions). I don't open a conversation with my lack of belief, though, and I don't volunteer the information generally unless there's some direct relevance to the conversation or situation. My family knows, and some of them think I'm broken and want to "fix" me, but for the most part it plays no significant role in my life or relationships.

open atheist/humanist. I'm a humanist chaplain now and working to spread seeds.. A guy last week was shocked and he said "how can you be a chaplain and not be xtian?"

I'm open about it, although I don't proselytize or push it into other people's faces.

After a lot of consideration and years of being in the closet on the religious side, I'm out about most things now. It's cost me connection with people, as I've not got embedded in the local Atheist community yet, but I am not sure it's cost me friendships per se, as I feared it might. I don't ramp about it, but anybody who asks gets the truth, and I belong to several Atheist and Agnostic groups on Facebook.

Always have been honest that I am not now, and have never been, superstitious.

Loren Level 2 Oct 28, 2017

Open and widely. My stance is: If someone has the right to speak his/her thoughts so why don't I do the same?

Open because I think that frankly most people are truly at least agnostic but they are so afraid that it isn't socially acceptable that they won't admit it. When the subject comes up (I certainly don't bring it up) I find that at least 80% of people I talk to who are under 50 don't believe that it is anything more than a fable.

I'm open about being an atheist. My workplace and community are not particularly religious, so it doesn't affect my job or relationship with friends or neighbours. I also enjoy a good debate, so if the Mormons or JW happen to knock at my door while I'm home, I'd invite them in for tea and a chat. They don't have any evidence that is likely to convince me otherwise, but perhaps I can sow some doubts in them.

Open. Why not?

open. It is my choice.

open to all that ask

I'm an open one: I really like confrontation (a polite one)
especially 'cause I'm trying to live leading by example (kindness, generosity, etc support by knowledge) showing to religious people that we don't need a God to act in a good way;
usually, I like to show them that I know much more on their religious than them, quoting the bible against them (quite easy to do it)

I suggest to watch all the Richard Dawkins arguments on youtube that literally trained me to deal with that (now I'm able to argue with my evangelic sister that, opposite to Catholic, they know how to answer you properly making the discussion quite harder...

I don't hide the fact and would say as much if asked, but I really find the issue to be a personal one and not something that a polite person pries into.

I am open about my atheism. I am surrounded by a family quite into religion and live in the UK. I feel for my brothers and sisters in more theistic communities, i.e middle East and the US where you would be forced into staying quiet...literally in some cases to save your life or your job!

I seek to fight intolerance in all its forms. This is fair, right and honourable.

Dont really talk about it unless im asked about it, it usually opens a can of worms that distracts me and whoever im talking to from whatever we were actually doing

as I stated earlier all my wife's family are religious so it is best to keep it to my self, I would not deny my atheism if asked but just don't openly reveal this, a few know most do not

I don't hide it, but I don't push it onto my religious acquaintances and friends either. Some of my best friends are deeply religious, they know my belief/opinions, but we love each other like brothers and would do almost anything for our group of friends. So, y'all tell me, does that mean I'm open or closeted?

Hi Bob. Interested in your comments. I too have lots of religious friends and its great when you can discuss openly the topics on your mind. My religious wife is leaving me for a minister. Two families have been split apart. She is leaving because she sys she has more in common, which I get, but do see religion as ruining and spoiling a perfectly good relationship.

I have been an open and sometimes vociferous atheist/evidentialist/rationalist for a mite over 60 years. It has been a box of different rocks most of the time, but I have thick skin and a good understanding of human behavior and how the world works, so it has seldom been much of a sticking point.

As for the 'why' of it, I find it much easier to live an honest life and I don't like having to make shit up -- except when I'm writing a book, then I love making shit up.

I am an open atheist. I have nothing to hide.

Open cause it's something to be proud of!!

Open 100000% and it's gotten me into quite a few predicaments (living in the bible belt)

Open...all the way.

I'm an open atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.