Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ive been an open agnostic for years. I like the members that i represent to know as much about me and my beliefs so that they can be open to ask questions and learn where my stance comes from.

I'm not really an atheist more of an agnostic and yeah I am pretty much open. I don't advertise, but if I am asked I tell them. I work with kids at a residential treatment center in the school and I try to represent a good role model and show the children that you can be a good trustworthy person and not be religious.

I’m starting to be more open, but I still am closeted with most people in my life. It’s very frustrating that I worry how my beliefs are going to affect them and/or our relationship when I am the same person they have always known. There are days when I get on FB and see all kind of religious posts and just feel like I’m going to lose it and put up a post that lets EVERYONE know and let the chips fall where they fall. I feel like a volcano ready to erupt.

It can be difficult! I empathize, and have had the same feelings about posting in FB! Do it when you’re ready ????????

I am open but do not tend to constantly throw my views on my FB nearly as often as my Christian friends do. I get bombarded so much with it my head spins. But I do not bitch about it to them. If it is something repetitive forwarded from a particular page I just block that page. I do this with other things too not just religion. But I do not seem to get the same in return. The few times I have posted my agnostic or humanist views I get nasty comments or friends wanting to 'save' me or those little sad or angry faces. I actually got ripped a new one because I was saving various agnostic memes on my Pinterest. I was not thinking my friends were reading through my Pinterest posts.. But some left comments about how disappointed they were. One fellow pto parent got livid that I could save memes that were so horrible and that I was someone that needed help. For years before she knew this about me she thought I was a most kind and excepting friendly person. I never made her feel uncomfortable like others in the community had. Most in our community are Christian but her church was more strict. Girls all were not allowed to cut hair or wear pants. But they went to public school. These girls get picked on a lot. I never did pick on them and I treated them as anyone else.

I'm open about it with friends and family but I keep it out of work for the same reason I don't talk about my Politics and my Sex Life. Although if I'm confronted with a direct question from a coworker, I tell them I'm "not religious".

I agree, and personally believe it should be discussed at work. However, if asked I will tell also. Welcome to Agnostic.com 🙂

I live in the bible belt. moved here from Mass. I am an open and vocal atheist. I make it clear when I give to charities. I am clear with all my friends, my friends family's, employers. Everyone, and if they don't like it well to bad.

I have colleagues from the Bible Belt. Kudos to you for the confidence, and bravery 🙂

Yeah I live in Texas and I get a perverse thrill at the look on someones face when they ask for "God's" blessing on me when I am giving charity and I tell "Keep your god's blessing for yourself. You need it more than I do."

Open but I don't wear a badge shoving it in peoples face. I'm afforded the same respect.

I agree, give respect to get respect ????????

Sorry, I don't know why so many question marks keep popping up after my reply. It is not my doing.

Open and proud - as Paul1967 is!

Draco Level 6 Sep 26, 2017

I was born in Greece, and of course have been brainwashed at early age. Remember in second grade asking the teacher WHO MADE GOD? She gave me a dirty look ,and told me to believe without questions. So I have done. I had doubts about god stayed away from churches. I was 28 years of age, and someone told me that was feeling sorry for the christians. I asked why? and he said, Because god is not there and does not hear hear their prayers. Later went to school, and I have learned, about mind control, brainwash -same thing- Wisdom does come with age. It is not possible to me, in any way ALL that I have hear from the priest, my mother, the teacher. Nothing but miss information. It is very clear to me because the profits are very large in religion business. I can see what has happened. Some people will kill for few $dollars, and others do not mind saying lies about the good god that loves us all,for one reason only the mighty dollar. All in my family are brainwashed, I feel sorry for them, and it is hard for them to understand me. They are in deep hypnotic state of mind like so many.

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

Interesting. Seems we've had a few similar experiences growing up, but possibly different as adults

I don't shout it from the rooftops but if asked or the subject comes up in conversation I have no problem telling.

Same here

I'm totally baffled by what I've experienced about the USA following this site as well as atheist videos on youtube. The concept of freedom is strong in this country but we are not free from

1. terrorizing people into a specific religion as children.
  2. terrorizing people to stay in the religion or face social condemnation.
  3. having to fight to keep state and religion separate. This should be a given in a modern society.
  4. religion impacting our workplace.
  5. people holding back on using their right to speak due to the risk of condemnation and rejection.

Wow - what an intolerant and oppressive society this really is.

Stig Level 5 Oct 10, 2018

Closeted....I’m just beginning the detoxification process myself and I want to be 100% confident and ready for the huge amount of backlash that is sure to come when the curtain is finally pulled back. My children are my main concern. I’m trying to do what’s BEST for them.

Kids are the most important priority. I admire your commitment to their psychological wellbeing.

I'm open about being atheist with all of my close friends. I don't post it on social media because I'm afraid I'll be negatively judged by many people.

Open .not many people ask though!

I won't wear a ball cap or badge proclaiming my agnosticism, but if people start talking about religion I won't be shy about my position.

Open, I don't hide it.

Open. Very open.

I am open about it. However the same as I feel bout any (or lack of) is personal choice and something you can keep to yourself until someone asks

Closet agnostic. I'm still a dependant

sorry dude!

I am an open agnostic, simply because I have a big mouth!

I do not announce it, but i would not deny it.
The world is an urban jungle, and i won't put a target on my back on purpose.
I will debate with someone about god, from their own framework, because i want them to question their dogma, and change their ideals from old testament fire and brimstone to new testament to walk like jesus and love everyone as themself.

I'm not going to try to change someones label, just their beliefs about the label.

Angus Level 5 June 7, 2018

Probably a little of both. The subject doesn't really come up that often. When it does I mention it, but otherwise I hardly even think about it myself.

Open to family and friend not so much at work.

open if anybody asks me but I wouldnt tell them if they were not interested or if they were patently god botherers. I have said this before in Northern Ireladn if youre asked and you say atheist they will probably ask 'but protestant atheist or catholic atheist?

I don't know if I'd say closet... just private. I'd also consider myself agnostic probably more than athiest. I do believe there is something "out there" for the lack of a better phrase, but I don't think human kind is to a point to be able to understand it. That's ok with me though. I also don't think that's terribly important. I think it's far more imporatant how we treat each other regardless of our differences. It's easy to treat people nicely if they have many of the same ideas and beliefs, but to give that to those who are not the same, that's the trick, that's the important thing.

AmyLF Level 7 Apr 9, 2018

Open but not evangelical about it. Not averse to slapping overly idiotic religious nuts about on the head and shoulders with facts if they get too mouthy about their fantasies.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.