Agnostic.com

19 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, good luck to him but I agree with many of his words.

If you go then go big 😂😂

I have talked to people at work that claimed they could fake it til they made it. I smiled and wished them luck. Unfortunately I am only half Irish, so they probably got bad luck.

Notice how none of the problems were his fault. He stood up for 20 years knowingly living and preaching lies to his congregation. What did he expect?

It sounds like he was able to hang onto his intellectual honesty, and also that he had the good character to be honest and open about what he experienced. I'm sad that his marriage was an unhappy experience for him, but maybe he can bring about some more good changes in his life, and get out from under the oppressive teachings and lifestyle he had as a pastor.

You know this link is paywalled? Some of us can't afford to pay for every site we visit.

I"m not sure I understand. I clicked on it and read the story, and I wasn't asked to pay anything.

Here's the gist of it...(and no, not paywalled...that's the WaPo, and NYTimes....these guys just hit you with a lot of pop-up ads.

I also don't see your claim of "profanity-laced"...he used "sh....ty" a few times...but otherwise an eloquent proclamation;

"Missouri megachurch pastor Dave Gass stepped down from his position after 40 years and renounced his Christian faith, reported the Christian Post.

“After 40 years of being a devout follower, 20 of those being an evangelical pastor, I am walking away from the faith. Even though this has been a massive bomb drop in my life, it has been decades in the making,” he tweeted.

The tweets have since been made private, but a screenshots of the tweets were posted on Reddit.

“When I was in 8th grade and I was reading Greek mythology, it dawned on me how much of the supernatural interactions between the deity of the Bible and mankind sounded like ancient mythology. That seed of doubt never went away,” he added.

It went on to explain that even though he was a committed Christian that it could not help or save his marriage.

“I was fully devoted to studying the scriptures. I think I missed maybe 12 Sundays in 40 years. I had completely memorized 18 books of the Bible and was reading through the bible for the 24th time when I walked away,” he wrote.

“As an adult my marriage was a sham and a constant source of pain for me. I did everything I was supposed to – marriage workshops, counseling, Bible reading together, date nights every week, marriage books – but my marriage never became what I was promised it would be,” he said.

He then added that the church was a place of abuse for him, and that church people are “sh*tty” people.

“The entire system is rife with abuse. And not just from the top down, sure there are abusive church leaders, but church leaders are abused by their congregants as well. Church people are just sh*tty to each other,” he tweeted.

Adding, “I spent my entire life serving, loving, and trying to help people in my congregations. And the lies, betrayal, and slander I have received at the hands of church people left wounds that may never heal.”

From the article . . . . “I was fully devoted to studying the scriptures. I think I missed maybe 12 Sundays in 40 years. I had completely memorized 18 books of the Bible and was reading through the bible for the 24th time when I walked away,” he wrote.

That is why we should encourage these fanatics to read the bible MORE . . . . the more they read it the more likely they are to see what a scam it is.

If anyone knows this guy, send him our link . . . . this type of person can become one of the biggest enemies of religion . . . . . they finally see the bull shit, and call it what it is . . . .

THHA Level 7 May 11, 2019

I would guess that a significant number of preachers are closeted agnostics given that they deal with issues of belief daily. Their position puts them in a situation where they have to confront the ideas of belief and faith on a daily basis and it can't be easy keeping up your faith under this kind of scrutiny. Most of them are older and put a lot of time and effort into their job, making it difficult to just walk away. So they continue the charade due to "sunken cost."

[albertmohler.com] Clergy who don't believe

Most of them don't believe any of the bullshits that are in the bible. Can anyone tell me of an easier job where one can enrich himself and live in a big house and drive a fancy car. It's a business, nothing more. How many of us have had jobs that we hate doing, but the bills have to get paid. It's a sweet deal with mega financial rewards.

This guy is in for a tough road. He has just lost his social support group and his source of income. He is older and not likely easily reemployed.

I am sure he feels relieved in some ways, but as many of is know, he has a tough road to hoe.

Might not be a bad idea for the atheist community to give him a helping hand. May make publicity.

I remember reading somewhere that the Richard Dawkins site for science and reason, in raising money for its activities, provides support for religious clerics and similar who have renounced their religion and need support. I remember reading it and thinking this was use of atheist resources for a good cause.

@David1955
Agree.

Isn't it: "Row" to hoe?

@David1955 There' also "The Clergy Project". I'm not sure what all it provides

@twill
Not sure.

Love it, love it, love it.

I think we should remember how hard it can be for religious practicioners to renounce their church and religion. Often they lose everything and it can be very hard. I don't know how hard it will be for this guy, but I've watched enough docs about people in this situation to appreciate how hard it can be. Generally in these situations I prefer not to take joy in rubbing it in but rather give credit to someone who has woken up and had the courage to say so, if they are genuine and all things are equal.

Can you imagine how hard it must have been, for all those years, trying and failing to achieve all the milestones that you have been taught faith should give you? I would think it was with great despair that he gave up and walked away.

Maybe he had squeezed as much money from the faithful as he could and it was time to retire

@altschmerz I tend to believe it. Get rich than get out.

@noworry28 True of any enterprise. I Wish I could have done it.........

Lololololololol...

Wow. Read the full article. I get it. Things were so similar for me. You're told that prayer, faith, and of course paying the church are the only real answers to your problems and so when they don't work, you think you're just doing it wrong. Not enough prayer, not enough faith, or whatever. Some people never have any real challenge to their belief system. Others of us have it all go to hell and finally wake up to reality. It's a harsh awakening when you've invested so much.

So far, in the local Meetup group for singles that I recently joined, the members of it that are also in Christian singles groups as well, have turned out to be spiteful and petty-minded people. What a surprise.....

Having seen some of what he talked about, I understand completely.

Don’t worry former Pastor many of us been in the same boat. It gets better from here.

I know what he's talking about...

Link isn't working.
Could be my anti-malware is blocking it.

@altschmerz Thank you!

@altschmerz I'm sure all those shitty people will be really nice to him now that he has renounced Christianity. LOL Ironies on top of ironies.

@greyeyed123

I kinda doubt that. They may clean up their act within the congregation, but I am sure they will treat this guy like he has a lethal and highly contagious disease.

KKGator - You are probably right, your anti-ware is blocking it, and rightfully so.

@Heathenman I was being ironic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:344835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.