Agnostic.com

35 5

Religion and tradition repressed people and kept them stupid. Science and freedom of movement are giving us the abilities to actually destroy the ability to live on earth. Is religion really morally worse?Thoughts?

For context I am an opinionated athiest. I believe climate change and other environmental problems are caused by humans and are so bad its hard to wrap my head around.
I've been on here awhile and I'm just looking for a less tired science vs atheism conversation.

MsAl 8 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to me there is more struggling to find belonging and goodness. Too many pieces of our social order has been tossed up in the air and must be sorted out. Religion keeps people thinking too narrowly and that hampers personal growth. Atheist have no less moral and ethical behavior than Christians, if fact a lot of Christians that I have known seem to twist their unethical behavior into something acceptable, much more than non-believers.

Science also gives us the ability to solve our environmental problems, but people will not act to do so. Science is neutral, religion is bad, ignorance is worse.

capitalism is the culprit more than science i think.

Yes for sure, but technology has given us the ability to do huge things that earn lots of money.

@MsAl undoubtedly, but greed is the constant human cause for the inequities and the spoils. we surely need technology now just to deal with the technology we've already had...sad.

Religion gives people the excuse to destroy the earth. Science does not.

I would blame it on profit not religion. Religion is one of the tools.

@MsAl I think expecting to be saved at the end times and thinking that God gave mankind the planet to use as he wants definitely supports the ruin of the planet.

Science is neutral. The destruction is coming from the economic system, which pushes companies to extract wealth from the environment by destroying it. It is government's role to stop this, and companies now pretty much control what governments do. I am not optimistic.

I am going to agree with several other commenters here by saying morality is the wrong question. Just like with atheism, science is a platform or premise from which to operate. It is up to humans to assign value and prioritize.

In general, I think fact based information tends to encourage better informed decisions, but that in no way guarantees moral motivation.

Its not teh science destroying vthe planet its the greedy bastard oil barons who are trying to keep a grip on their oil money

Them and all the docile, non-thinking proletariat masses who consume that oil and release greenhouse gasses by driving their cars, buying cheap plastic products, running their electric appliances, heating their homes, and buying things they don't need with money they don't have.

@Happy_Killbot I'm sure most if us would drive electric cars if they were affordable as for the rest can't disagree with you .

@Simon1 If the price of electric cars goes down, I assume most of us will switch to electric vehicles, because they can run on whichever type of fuel has been converted into electricity instead of one type of fuel, therefore they should be overall cheaper to run. Through the electrical grid, an electric vehicle can run on solar, gas, diesel, nuclear, or hydroelectric. Just running on electric however doesn't eliminate reliance on fossil fuels without massive overhauls in our electrical infrastructure, and I think in practice what would happen is more oil burning power plants would be constructed to make up for increasing electrical prices.

Electric cars are hardly the solution.

@Piratefish it may not be a solution but with nuclear power its better than what we have

@Simon1 I've read a few things here and there tat seem to suggest our current state of technology with electric cars may actually be more harmful to the environment because of some of the materials used in manufacturing them, added to the increase fossil fuel emissions from power plants. Maybe someday, but it seems like there may not be that much benefit to electric cars just yet, other than reducing the demand for oil.

@Piratefish ,There is no one solution. There are many parts to a massive puzzle that could solve this crisis.

Evolution's "survival of the fittest" driving force for assorted species of life is on a par with unbridled capitalism's "survival of the richest" driving force - both can be "dog eat dog" systems.
However, "survival of the fittest" can also mean that a species able to exhibit moderation might be the fittest overall, whereas "survival of the richest" has no moderation - only excess.

The idea that we have no ethical reason to care for our own home, is religious, and we've used it to justify all manner of horrible things. Science and technology and freedom of movement have been horribly misapplied, you are right about that. Religion is the permission slip.

Yes I think I was wrong to tie the two in the same question. Religion is used to do bad stuff. For the most part I think profit is the motivation.

Religion is the only accepted justification for hatred.

Buxx Level 7 May 12, 2019

Inequalities and human emotions exist without religion.

@Krowmagnum, @MsAl I agree with you both, but the justification of said bigotry is often religious. That is not to say without religion there'd be no other way to justify hatred.

@MsAl the USA equation certainly boils down to greed... electric cars do not pollute and could have been used to commute 120 years ago but greed pushed polluter cars to go everywhere cutting back on mass transit....greed to cheat workers out of living wages so shit can be sold cheap @ WalMart.....science was declassified 30 years ago because polar ice depth was so shallow there was no point in hiding where our nuke subs would surface to to nuke Soviets....and 30 years ago General Motors made a few dozen hydrogen cars but cancelled all of them and the California electrics for greedy dividends in Texaco.....think how many lives would be saved if half the cars on the road today were hydrogen and electric polluting zero poison into the air water and soil ? Only poor people would be driving 30 year old cars..... and zero nukes would be giving us cancer if solar was on every roof parking lot and wind power running 24/7 atop rising vent heat pipes ....General Electric would not be filthy rich bribing corrupt politicians when every home and mom/pop shop makes money selling power to people in the shade or recharging their cars on the go

I think i see what you are saying. For one thing the dark ages when the Roman catholic church was dominating Europe scientific advancement virtually stopped but The USA which is by far the most religious country is at the forefront of the destruction of the world we live.
Our only hope is that the science that is causing the damage will also reverse it.

The United States is at the forefront of the destruction? At certain times, yes. I'd have to agree. But China surely leads that now and historically Britain led that charge in Europe and many parts of the world. Let's not choose a villain to avoid facing our own evil.
Also, the US might lead Christian countries now but not even in the top 10 for religious zealotry. Muslim countries like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and every North African country are all much more zealous than the US has ever been, even in Puritan days.

@CK-One Certainly the UK started the industrial revolution and China is the biggest polluter but he US is second and is slow to move to renewables and the current administration is championing fossil fuels including coal.

The UK has reached 40% renewable electricity generation recently, the US is still about 6%

I meant the US is the at the forefront of destruction in the Western world, both with it's aggressive foreign policy and the exploitative lifestyle at home.

I think its a mistake to try to make any comparisons between the two. Scientists and innovators have undoubtedly brought us technologies which have caused pollution and global warming, but they are also the only ones who can now supply the answers to solving these problems. On the other hand religion offers nothing of real value to this life on Earth and advocates that everything is god’s will, so climate change is not a concern as it will bring the end all the quicker, and hasten their passage into the everlasting life they look forward to in heaven. As far as morality is concerned, I can’t really see either religion or science having much to do with morality. Morality is something we know from being human, it is treating others with respect and knowing the difference between right and wrong behaviour towards our fellow human beings and our environment, and acting accordingly. Knowing that we are killing the planet but still continuing to do it is immoral, trying to do something about it is the opposite.

You are correct I shouldn't have compared the two, but it's how I posed it. I'm not sure if it is possible to put the damage back on the box with the damage we continue to do. Profit is a strong motivator and the people making money from progess use their power to prevent any sort of regulation.

@MsAl I don’t think the genie can be put back in the bottle, but time is fast running out for even damage limitation, never mind reversal. We must try...we owe that to our children and grandchildren. My generation has seen the biggest changes from the end of WW2 when I was born, until the present day, the technological advances have been astounding, but at a terrible price for the future of mankind and the planet....we must try our utmost to prevent complete destruction. Religion is not our friend in this end, I’m afraid, I was neutral about it, until the religious right got a grip in the USA with the election of Trump, we need America to show leadership in the slowing down, never mind the halting of global warming, but in fact it is doing the opposite.

@Marionville I saw this meme the other day and the numbers really made me fearful of how far we have come. This is mostly within my lifetime. Its obviously not limited to big cats.

@MsAl Shocking....man has a lot to answer for, The Tiger numbers in particular are extremely worrying. As you say, we are hunting and destroying the habitat of other species at an alarming rate.

For me, it's a simple explanation.
Humans poison everything we touch.
Doesn't matter what it is, doesn't matter what we come up with.
We're going to ruin it.
That's what we do. It's what we've always done.

I've got to agree with you.

I'm not worried too much about the environment - I support preserving it and keeping it healthy and vibrant, but on a global timescale we will run out natural oil quickly enough to not effect it too much. We will be forced to live more efficiently whether we like it or not.

Also we are actively exploring tech to slow or reverse global warming. NASA has the CO2 energy challenge that gives a prize for tech that converts CO2 out of the air and convert it to simple sugars, preferably using solar energy. If successful this tech can easily be extended to other hydrocarbons...i.e. Gasoline or natural gas. So we may be entering an Age where we take the carbon dioxide out of the air and make fuel!...bye bye trees and plant no co2 for you!? Well no it'll likely be deployed in cities and manufacturing sectors where co2 is high, but maybe it can be used to control the amount of co2 in atmosphere globally.

Also Im sure with electric cars and other new tech we will no longer be harming the environment as much.

I more worried about other things. We could be wiped out by an asteroid in 2029 or a killer virus that sweeps the population. Or nuclear war. Those are more imminent, it seems.

People who are religious fanatics are morally hypocritical and horrible to deal with. Your average person who goes to church and doesn't try to "save" you is usually ok.

Science gives the religious new ways to fuck shit up

Yes, and even some nonreligious who also like to utilize air travel for vacations, use herbicides and pest killers to have pretty lawns, and buy cheap Walmart clothes so their kids can have decent stuff.

Not to mention the corporate interests making billions off irresponsible practices and spending billions to keep them unregulated.

Neither science nor religion are intrinsically bad. It's how the people in charge use them (or don't) that matters. It's a question of human nature, not religion vs science, in my opinion.

Our problems do not stem from science and its application. Rather, it is a matter of human attitude about their environment, resistance to change, and a false sense of security. All three of these can be attributed to religions. Of the religions, two of the main contributors to these deleterious attitudes are Judaism and Christianity with Islam running a close third. Granted, though both Judaism and Christianity pay lip service to stewardship, it is just that.

As for atheism vs science, I have never encountered that. I guess I've missed something?

With all due respect MsAl, I'm on here regularly and I do not see many arguments about Science versus atheism. I see and engage in a few regarding religion versus Science. What type of arguments have you seen?

Here is a take that you may or may not seen before. Please bear with me to the end before abandoning my argument.

All organisms on this planet are subject to evolutionary principles (doesnt matter if one believes in evolution or not, they operate without our consent). Humans are no exception.

Early in human develpoment we humans, like any organism, adapted by specializing those attributes that were already available to our extant genetics. Those areas included advanced abstract thought process, spatial acuity which allowed for tool making, an opposable thumb structure to faciltate the tool making ability.

But that wasnt the end of it. Along with these attributes we also developed the ability for complex communications skills. Leading to the ability to develop an advanced language. Why was this important? Humans at the early stages of their evolution were puny compared to the organisms that preyed upon them (eg. Smilodon, Cave bear, etc) and puny compared to their prey (Mammoth, Mastodon, Bison, etc.). In order to protect themselves from their predators and to bring down their food source, they needed to be able to cooperate, plan, and communicate beyond a warning squeal. Thus language.

Wait, this was only the beginning. To effectualize this hunting and protection cooperation, a sense of organization was necessary. Thus with all these other features, humans developed a complex a culture and society. Culture and society are as ingrained in humans as language, abstract thought, and tool making ( thus the reason that Libertarianism is not a viable governing structure).

Why is this important?. In order for any organism to be evolutionarily fit (ultimate goal of an species is evolutionay fitness) there must be a set of unwritten rules for each organism to maintain that fitness. Any behavior or feature that threatens this fitness is deemed dangerous and is usually weeded out by the tools described by evolotionary theory.

For humans the operant tool is culture. Culture provides a system of checks and balances that keeps dysfunctional and abberant behavior from endangering that fitness. But cultural check and balance is only successful up to a specific population size. Beyond that population size, ie. tribal levels of population numbers, renders the cultural checks and balances ineffective. Beyond the tribal size, individuals are able to hide, or thumb their nose at their culture and engage in dysfunctional, abberant behaviors that endangers that society.

In that vain, we as a human species officially became over-populated at least 5000 years ago with the advent of agriculture. Over-population has nothing to do with available space or resources. Its instead about maintaining evolutionary fitness. Agriculture allowed humans to expand their population beyond natural levels. It allowed for the building of permanent structures (cities) where aberrant, dysfunctional behavior is allowed to be practiced and perpetuated unchecked. In fact the abberant, dysfunctional behavior becomes the norm as opposed to the exception.

In conclusion, humans began its move towards evolutionary unfitness with the advent of agriculture and permanent dwellings. Geologic and evolutionary time is long, but as a species we came into existence in a relatively short space of time (200,000 years), but moved to evolutionary unviability in an equally short time (5000 years). We will probably go extinct in an equally short time going forward. The only thing that could change this outcome is space colonization as it would place small pockets of human species throughout the solar system in smaller numbers which might have a chance to evolve forward.

Unfortunately, culture and society precluded religion. However, religion as we understand it today, is one of those of those dysfunctional, aberrant behaviors that has been allowed to expand beyond positive functionality, adding to our evolutionary unfitness. Where it might once have served as a positive check and balance (as opposed as an attempt to rationalize the beginning and meaning of all things), it has become a manipulatory agent for abberant behavior.

I hope MsAl you found this intetesting and does not fall under aegis of the same old, same old. 🙂

It sounds like you are saying our technological advances have caused us to expand to much. That's kind of what I'm getting at.

I don't understand your assertion that libertarianism is not viable because of the need for human cooperation. Libertarian principals do not dictate solidarity as a means of governing, rather it is the equality of right for individuals to organize themselves in accordance with their own strengths and weaknesses. They don't want the abolition of hierarchy, that's anarchists and communists.

I agree with your assertion that humans broke evolution by utilizing intelligence to achieve a level of success unobtainable to any other known life form, but I don't believe that's a problem, because I think that applied intelligence can do much better than evolution, and the development of our societies is prof that intelligence is better than evolution because of what it has achieved in such a relatively short time.

@MsAl yes, exactly. But beyond technology, its an understanding how culture and society keep us in check evolutionarily and we've exceeded our carrying capacity 5000 years ago. Its just a matter of time before Nature and evolutiona catches up with us.

@MsAl, @Happy_Killbot With all due respect, but I disagree with both your primary assertions. Libertarianism depends upon the altristic side of human behavior and history shows us that on large scales that this is not possible. I also content that intellectualism is no match for evolutionary fitness, regardless what Ayn Rand asserted. Afterall, who is John Galt?

@t1nick I had to look up who John Galt was, and I still don't get your point. As far as I can tell, he took advantage of a problem for profit, and caused other problems as a result. How is that any different from the requirement of altruism in an authoritarian structure? Authoritarian nations like North Korea or Venezuela demand altruistic governments for the people to survive, and in practice they tend to keep most for themselves and only give the people enough to survive.

In a capitalist nation, the damage done by greedy individuals is minimized as long as they are not part of the government. Most of the damage done is by the largest hierarchical structures, so having more smaller hierarchies seems to be a win-win for everyone. On top of this, it's actually closer to our evolved nature to have small hierarchies, with about 100 people each instead of the large multi million people ones we see today.

@Happy_Killbot greed is mitigated by being private? in what universe? i have a short definition of libertarianism: selfishness. that about covers it.

g

@genessa Why can't governments also be greedy? I'm taking an anti authoritarian stance here, not a pro capitalist one.

@genessa i concur. Most prople who push libertarianism usually just don't want people telling them they can't perpetuate thrir boorish attitudes and behaviors. Laizzez faire economics does not work because the majority of the participsnts milk the honest individusls through their own greed and selfishness.

@Happy_Killbot
governments are greedy, just look at our own right now.

@t1nick Yes, because governments and individuals can be greedy, we should subdivide resources and influence as much as possible to prevent any one person or group from having to much power. That's what libertarian principals are all about. Keeping individuals from having to much influence on anyone else. The hard working individuals who get taken advantage of aren't doing what they do for themselves, and then they wonder why their bosses are getting rich. They have the option to quit at any time. Entering into a workplace like that is fundamentally authoritarian, and the solution for that is... become more authoritarian?

You see the hypocrisy there right? That is what happened to a lot of countries we called socialist. The socialist parties took over violently, ceased all the means of production, and then declared themselves socialist before instituting horrible policies. There are individuals on both the left and the right who are slowly moving things in an authoritarian direction, and that could have dire consequences for everyone.

@Happy_Killbot
You claim that re-distribution is part of the Libertarian philosophy. You are the first Libertarian Ive ever encountered who take this stance. I agree with the short comings of earlier Socialists regimes.

But laizzez faire does not work. As history proves over and over again. People are not naturally altruistic and that in itself is the downfall of libertarianism. In my experience the majority of persons pushing libertarianism are among the least altruistic I've met.

@t1nick No, redistribution is not part of my philosophy! Quite the opposite actually, I am only talking about specialization here, people should only control the resource they are most qualified to handle, and that this will happen naturally as long as everyone has nearly equal opportunity.

The fact that some people are not altruistic is a strong argument for libertarianism, because it limits the damage. If one greedy individual is in control of a company, then one trade collapses, but its just that one trade. If one greed individual is in control of your country, then that could collapse your country. We can't have no one in charge of these things.

@Happy_Killbot
Too simplistic of an understanding of human nature. Socialism or Communism in its theoretical form seems ideal. But human nature has shown it to be as flawed as capitalism. Libertarian is just another system that requires its participants to follow the rules and 10 000+ years of human history demonstrates it remains untenable. Too many selfish people are drawn to Libertarianism for it to ever have a chance at being successful.

@t1nick Alright, lets take a step back here. We both agree that some people are not altruistic. The problem with socialism and communism is that you need a strong authoritarian entity to maintain it, otherwise everything will regress back to the natural order of the strong taking what they want. As far as I can tell, that's the problem most have with capitalism, the strong take what they want. What happens when that entity isn't altruistic?

Capitalism in its modern form is only a few hundred years old, although you can't really pinpoint a date because it came into existence gradually, although the ideas cropped up around the 16th and 17th centuries.

@Happy_Killbot
I concur with a lot of this post. Unfortunately. the form of capitalism being practiced today is short sighted and its goal is short term. The present system rewards immediate and short term gain. Colloquially its can be called predatory capitalism or cannibalustic capitalism. It focuses on gaining the maximum profit at any cost with total disregard for outcomes or future impacts. It will cannibalize its own industry fir a quick profit.

This is not the only model that capitalism can follow. If it took a long term (Asian model) aporoach or an evolutionary approach, your arguments would have more likely of success. Inan evolutionary modrl, the goal us to maintain the best circumstances for all stakeholders ad infinitum. Emoyees are fsirly compemsated and owners are reasonably compensated for their efforts, investments, and acumen. Much like what you are making a case for. But relies less on altruism and more on rational planning.

@t1nick our own "government" isn't even a government. it's a wannabe dictatorship working on being the real thing. it isn't an excuse for us all to rush out and become libertarians, or anti-government. in fact it is proof that we NEED government. trump hasn't even filled most of the necessary appointments. the republicans in congress are sitting on their asses except when they are inspired to do something really nasty. the democrats in the house are passing good bills so that they will exist when the senate is blue once more. railing against government is silly. we desperately need GOOD government. the fact that we have dreadful and at the same time insufficient government right now isn't an indication that government is bad. thinking so is like thinking that because you got food poisoning from spoiled food, food is bad.

g

@Happy_Killbot when did i say governments couldn't be greedy? reread what i said, please,

g

@genessa
I agree with most of what you said, but Im not sure which point you are taking exception to. I think government is necessary and there are other models of each system that could work if people's minds were right. I understand why people are experimenting with other forms including Libertarianism. I just don't personally think Libertarianism is the right answer.

@t1nick specifically killbot's assertion that "[i]n a capitalist nation, the damage done by greedy individuals is minimized as long as they are not part of the government. Most of the damage done is by the largest hierarchical structures, so having more smaller hierarchies seems to be a win-win for everyone.' i was disagreeing with that.

g

@genessa adding more government isn't going to fix the problem, at best it will just mix the good and the bad parts. We need to cut bad government programs for efficiencies sake alone. Your analogy to food can be used against you. Eating more food only increases the chance that you would eat something bad, so you should eat less and be pickier about what you eat instead of gorging yourself.

@Happy_Killbot Thats all well and good. But IMO I do not think that humans in large groups are capable of self-regulating. As an example, if were up to the greater American population, we would still be experiencing Jim Crow across the nation. It took government to move to realize the elimination of that scurge.

Likewise, if we left it up to business and industry, the Chatanooga River would still be burning from chemicals dumped upstream by chemical businesses. It took government to implement the 1972 Clean air and Clean water Acts.

My point is that it takes a balancing act between too much government and too little government. Humans are incapable of self-regulation beyond the tribal level. Usual societal checks and balances break down and all other checks and balances beyond that are artificial and ultimately do not work for long.

@t1nick I can agree with that, there are some things that are better and actually more efficient when done at government levels. Other things are better left privatized. I'm not saying we should dismantle the government, just limit it to the minimum necessary instead of paying for things that don't really provide any benefit to society, or couldn't be better achieved by corporations. No one wants I phones to be federal. No one wants roads to be private.

@Happy_Killbot
Regarding a discusdion I took part in today that addressed population size and human self- regulation, see the thread by MsAl that begins:

Religion and tradition repressed people and kept them stupid

Science has shown us the road out of religious imposed 'darkness' and into 'world' of better knowledge, understanding, etc, BUT a large part of the blame, about 60-70% imho, lays squarely upon the shoulders of a passage in the Goat-Herders Guide to the Galaxy, aka the bible, that states," I give to you DOMINATION and usage of ALL things living or dead upon this world."
This single passage has been taken to heart by members of the Human Race and exploited to the nth degree simply to try and satisfy their own avarice thus causing, for the most part, the absolute DISASTER our planet is in today.

Subjects of science go by the current accepted model, and the model is subject to change. Scientific theory is not simply an idea. It has to be proven.

The opposite of all this is religion. From day one religion was static and never changing. Religion never proved anything.

True and I agree totally. Religion is wrong . There is no God. That doesn't change the fact that the earth is very becoming uninhabitable because of scientific innovations such as cars chemicals and mass deforestation..

Many want to stop this but it's hard to stop "progress"

Morality has nothing to do with it. Plus your definitions are wrong.
Freedom means not having to obey anyone telling you what to do.
Science is facts, as best we know them.
Religion is the opposite of facts.
The confusion comes in when someone.SAYS something is a fact, but it isn't, thus mis-using the word.
So what you are talking about is confusion based on a mis-use of words.
Morality comes in when something is used or mis-
used based on precise or imprecise use or mis-use of words.
This is done to either shed light on the truth (science/facts) or to obfuscate the truth (religion/faith) for either objective knowledge, or subjective belief. The truth bestows freedom; faith demands blind obedience.

As with all things religion and science are modes of practice. It’s people within the institutions that are responsible for outcomes.

Yes, because I have never heard of anyone being killed over science, unless it is a religious person killing a scientist.

No time to find links right now but there have been many many many people killed in scientific experiments. Gynecology from experiments on slaves, so much medical knowledge from stuff done in nazi experiments during the halocaust, various syphilis exposure experiments on prisoners and minorities and many more eugenics, lobotomies exc..

That's not what I was I was referring to though. I was actually talking about Climate change, dead oceans and other reasons our planet is losing the ability to support life. We made the abilities to clear cut the planet and dump chemicals everywhere using fossil fuels to make all this progress happen.

Hummm - it seems there have been many many immoral things done in the name of religion. And the immorality is ongoing.
Many products of science have been put to immoral uses both intended by the inventors and not intended to be used in destructive ways.
Even though we have agreed upon moral principals - morality seems to be in the eye of the beholder and/or the winners, (if might makes right).
Religion and science are tools. They can be used to build or destroy. It is those who use them that are moral or immoral.

Neither science or religion have answered the basic question. Both are merely positions. Both are merely tools to control because the masses will never look at things for themselves .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:345393
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.