Agnostic.com

89 15

Am I being unreasonable?

The barista this morning gave me my coffee with "god bless you" written on the lid, i complained to the head office and posted about it on fb where a select few accused me of being the absolute worst etc etc for complaining about someone just being "nice". What's your view?

Sparkles 5 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

89 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You seriously overreacted. I woulld've just rolled my eyes and let it go. Not worth making it an issue to my way of thinking.

Well first things first, did you sneeze? Seriously, I'd smile and say something along the lines of "Hey, you know I'm an atheist, but thanks for the gesture." You can maybe change a mind or two that way. But nothing wrong with how you handled it either. At least you said something. As for the complainers, well now you know exactly who to unfriend or block.

No, you are very reasonable and should be very proud.

A fight against an institution and a society so entrenched in ridiculous things for thousands of years is hard but feel proud for standing up for what you believe in. It is very hard for you but with every step you take today will make the lives of future generations better. Our children's children and their kids thereon will be free of this grip of ignorance over us.

"Alaykum s-salam". Judge by their reaction to that. If they're offended, then you can tell them you feel the same way about their faith being imposed on you.

I take the drink, remove the top. If I'm feeling extra snarky I politely request a new top from the person who wrote on the 1st one.

SCal Level 7 June 9, 2019

"They know not what they do."

Absolutely worth addressing. How/when it is addressed is the part that makes the difference. I’d have insisted that drink was not mine as I didn’t order “nonsense”. While I personally find it incredibly offensive, I’d have had some fun with it at least.

This is bullshit. Imagine that you're a non-believing barista and you write "Smile, there's probably no Hell" on some believer's coffee. You'll be facing disciplinary proceedings pretty soon.

"This top doesn't fit. And it's got shit on it."

I would respond the same way I think. If a friend or random stranger says that to me, I would be annoyed but wouldn't say anything about it, but from a business it would be quite inappropriate. I would definitely complain to someone. FYI, I really really really hate it when someone says "God bless you" to me. I went to a private Christian school when I was little and not long ago reconnected with old friends from the school on Facebook. I had to unfriend the majority of them for continuously commenting with GBU on my posts. UGGGGHHHH!!!

As for the barista at a coffee shop, there are lots of neutral ways to convey "being nice".

Trivial, in my opinion. As I navigate through life, I try to view every situation as Adlai Stevenson suggested in a quote attributed to him:

"You can tell the size of a man by the size of the thing that makes him mad."

Essentially a retelling of a Marcus Aurelius axiom, and a good life lesson, methinks.

Who cares? Why waste time getting upset and complaining about a nice gesture that is so incredibly insignificant?

I wouldn't have cared, but you are different. To each their own.

Mark out the b. Godless you. Lmfao.

In a way yes they meant no harm just ignore, no sense in getting them in trouble, they didn't proselytize you

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 19, 2020

It wouldn't bother me. I would probably laugh about it.

I would have asked for a different lid and left the other there with a simple "no thanks"

Thanks but pls keep your evil imaginary friend to yourself, if they want to be nice then say have a nice day.

FFS, just how far are these Faithfools going to go?
What's next, nice little Xstian messages on toilet paper and tissues, as if we don't get enough of it rammed down our throats already, that'd be one coffee outlet I'd be avoiding at ALL costs from now on.

I would also have complained and demanded a new top. Then I would have taken this top, thrown it on the floor and stepped on it. Enough is enough with all this proselytizing.

"Looks like this top wasn't cleaned. Can i have another?"

I would have just given it back and asked for another.

I just ignore such shit. Those people have no ability to understand why what they are doing is stupid. And the 35 seconds i have to enlighten them will be a lost 35 seconds.

Throw away that lid and get a new one.

And may Odin disembowel you also to enable your ascension.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:357621
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.