Agnostic.com

41 3

Were You Raised In A Single Parent Home Or 2 Parent Home

I was curious what is the make up of people in our community who were raised in a 2 parent home compared to a single parent home.

If you come from a Single parent home, what were the circumstances? Did your parent never marry? Did your Parents Divorce? Or Is your parent a widow?

My parents were married for nearly 40 years and Divorced when I was an adult and living on my own.

When my dad was terminally ill with colon cancer, my mom divorced him because she didnt want to be a widow.
I was like....wow Mom!

Please share with me your family unit growing up.

• 64 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 26 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 1 vote
twshield 8 Mar 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

2 parents. They were married for almost 50 years before my father passed away 4 years ago.

Both my parents were absent. Have no memory of my mother. She left when I was young enough to forget her. Never heard from her after that. I was stashed in a catholic home for kids by my dad, so I guess you would consider that foster care. Raised by nuns for almost 10 years.

I voted 2. But my dad passed away when I was 15. And my mom raised us all on her own raised after.

Raised with a younger brother by our happily married parents. They were together for 53 years, separated by the sudden and unexpected death of my father nearly two months ago.

Zster Level 8 Mar 13, 2018

Thanks. I am learning that I am seldom ready to say good bye, yet...

Watching my parents taught me that marriage is hell.

I had two birth parents both emotionally wounded by war experiences, neither of them were capable of being parents. Mother Bi-polar father Depressive so I left home at 15 y.o. adn constructed myself - looking back I am grateful to them for letting me go so easily.

I was raised in a two parent home until I was about 13 years old, considering my dad was an abusive alcoholic that would beat his kids and wife every time he got drunk I feel I would have been better off being in a single parent home, in fact I was probably the reason my mother finally divorced him, at 13 years old I put one of his pistols to his head and told him "you ever hit my mother or brothers and sister again I will kill you", and yes the gun was loaded and cocked.

@twshield Never thought about it as being brave, just saw it as something that had to be done before he killed my mother.

My mom and dad, but basically my mom. She was raising my dad too. He has autism. Undiagnosed asperger's. He would not go for testing. My mom died, he let my 14 year old sister do the bills. He almost went bankrupt! Buying shit and eating out. Police got involved because he never made her go to high school. My aunt and cousin came and stepped in after a year. I was in my own apartment in college. We had an intervention and all moved to CO. They both moved back to OR, leaving me behind. Now my aunt helps me out. Those two are on their own. My dad lives alone with family helping him now. My sister is marrying some man she met 1 year ago. I'm not going to the wedding.

@twshield My dad molested us. No.

@twshield Nope.

A 2 parent home but it may as well have been a Single Parent one since my 'mother' was an absolute bitch in every respect bar none and my Father was the kind of person who gave me guidance, taught me my principles, etc, in life and showed that just because she was a total bitch that not everyone else is and as such I should NEVER use heras my role model, etc, etc.

The answer is complex for me my dad asked for a divorce because mom had an act of infidelity. My mom remarried to a guy that would travel when he was home he was an awful person to me and my younger brother. My mother had moved us far away from my dad. I was unable to tell him about the abuse at home. If I had as you can imagine abusers tend to threaten their victims with even worse punishment if they tell. Did not see my dad from about the age 8 until was 17.5 years old. After one rather violent innocent at home I left at 16 while my mother was still collecting support checks. Going to school at night I worked during the day. I had decided to join the Navy at 17.5 intended to dropout of high school to do so (I was held back a year why time frame seems off) I need my dad signure to do so. He invited me to come stay with him to finish and get my diploma. My dad had no idea what was going or that I was living on the streets for nearly 1.5 years.

@twshield You go for years blame yourself, then you blame who caused it. Relationships do not last more self blame. Try and kill the pain with alcohol for years. Then you grow out of it.

I'm really baffled by your Mom's reasoning? I imagine you are too.

Two parents until I was 8, all of us kids were removed from home and turned over to the State Home in Waco. Mom divorced my dad a few years later. I ran away from the home at 16 and married 3 months later. My older brother and I raised ourselves and 6 younger sibs.

Actually this answer for me is really a split answer as it I was raised in a two parent home until the age of 11 when my parents divorced and then it was signle parent after that with the parents constantly fighting for custody. We were all of the opinion Dad didnt really want to raise as so much as he wanted to hurt our Mom. Custody went back and forth according to who won and since dad had more money he got us in the end. Overall Mom was the more loving parent.

@twshield It happens far more than it should, not just to us but to far too many families. I don't think Dad knew how to be a loving parent, he was more into barking orders and expecting immediate obedience.

@misstuffy this sounds a lot like my dad. Minus the fighting for custody. He was content to have me on the weekends. Never did actually pay any child support though. And he was considerably better off financially.

Single parent (mom). My parents divorced when I was 5, he was an alcoholic and abusive. My father would pop into my life every so often, but wasn't too much of an influence. My mom dated on and off growing up, but was very protective of who she brought around me. As I got older the roles started to reverse and I became protective of her. She finally married 8 days after I graduated high school and left for the Air Force.

@twshield yes, I didn't realize it till later and thanked her for what she did for us.

Two parents, but a lot of times it seemed more like one. My father wasn't much of a dad, especially when I got to be a teen. My parents eventually divorced. I'm estranged from my father, but close to my mom.

@twshield Well, I didn't share everything. It's a complicated shitpile. 😛

I was raised by a single mother. I met my father when I was 17. I'm astonished they were married to each other. My father joined the navy when I was pretty small. I have a younger sister. I think he may have come home twice after he joined the navy. I have one very vague memory of him from when I was around 7. My mother remarried an abusive man when I was 12. I left home at 16 and got married. Then the adventures really started.

Started in a two parent home with my baby brother, then my father was killed in a car wreck. Mom remarried, had two more kids, then (thankfully) divorced the evil stepfather. There was no option for multiple choice. 😀

@twshield Thanks!

Two very dramatic, weird parents that shattered things and barely noticed I was there.

It fit the 70's country songs of the day though.

The drama they had was easier to appreciate as a young adult.

@twshield
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton duck that plate.

I was raised in a single parent home, then my grandma, then my mom, then my grandpa, then back with my mom, then my mom and adoptive dad

@twshield it wasn't too bad. Lot better than many

I was raised in a two parent home. My parents didn’t divorce until I was in my thirties.

I had two parents, but unfortunately before I was born, they converted to Mormonism.

So you wound up with like 8?

@NothinnXpreVails Yeah, my parents wanted three kids when they got married, but after converting they decided to have six kids, so the family was eight altogether.

My parents divorced when I was 10, so not sure how to answer this, it’s sort of half and half. I lived with my mom until I was 25, by then we were good friends more than mother/daughter.

My Dad was an abusive alcoholic and philandering bastard..he lost our home so Mom had to move us into public housing in 62..

@twshield yes she was..raised 5 kids on meager wages..she did good, except for the 2 Drumpfsters in the family..

@twshield nor sure about Every family..lol

I had both mom and dad together, married 42 years. I felt very fortunate for this, and they never fought in front of us kids.

@twshield oh no! i bet that was crazy and confusing!

Parents divorced when I was 7. Raised by both parents and my father's parents. All fine people who influenced the way I look at the world in ways I didn't realize till I was in my 40's. I miss them every day.

@twshield They never talked bad about each other or used us as pawns. It can be done in a way that is easier on the kids if they make it a priority.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:36551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.