Agnostic.com

317 11

Do you ever miss the religious life?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

317 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No but I miss the sense of community

I have considered starting an atheist church. A place to commune for positive reasons. I would like to have motorcycle poker runs and other fund raising projects to benefit various local charitable causes on a personal level. Not a write check to an organization thing, more like a build a wheelchair ramp at a disabled, fixed income persons house. Back to school supplies for kids that can't afford any. Meals to elderly etc. Show people that they can do good things without sticking a church label on it. Everything positive that is done in the community can and should be accomplished without the god baggage attached to it.

nah I dunno what I'm going back to cause I've not really seen reasons that God really exist

No... I went to church thinking I better because I was told I should. I better pray to be forgiven. I better make sure I was in the right place with god if I die. Give me a brake? Ok, I met good people and made friends. That doesn't make up for the fear I had to endure. It did control my craziness as a child.

Hell no

NoH8 Level 2 Nov 16, 2017

I don't miss the religious life but I do miss the assembly of like mindedness though I soundly reject organized religion and the traditions of men today....

The sense of community was really nice.

Ariel Level 4 Nov 16, 2017

I don't, because I have one! I'm an ATHEOPAGAN, follower of a god-free, supernatural-free Earth-honoring path. There is no reason why nonbelievers should not have rituals, observances, and principles that cohere in a religious practice, and build community with fellow folks who share the interest. More info at atheopaganism.wordpress.com

I love being free of all the rubbish associated with religion and hipocrasy.

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017

I miss the church I was raised in. It was perfect for me. It was very physiological. It did not tell you what you had to believe in. The sermons were about life and how you lived it. It actually was very helpful to me when my parents went through their divorce and put me in the middle It probably is why I don't believe in formal religion. My husband is Catholic and I never could get into the masses that he attends. I tried to attend for the holidays and eventually stopped going when my daughter grew up and didn't want to become Catholic herself. I absolutely miss the music. I loved singing in the choir. I have thought about joining a church just to sing but that would be hypocritical and we have enough of that in this world.

I love the fellowship of church. That level of fellowship is hard to recreate outside of church, I just don't like the religious part.

The social part... I miss that. And the community support when things got tough. I suspect that is why there aren't more "defectors".

I miss the sense of community and belonging that I had there. I feel more insecure now about how people will respond to me or embrace me, but at the same time the significant relationships I do have feel much more authentic and meaningful.

Never and I don't miss the hypocrisy of it. A lot of religious people are such phonies which is probably one of the reasons I am so turned off by it.

No. The social aspect of church was a good thing, but I now have that with the Atheist Community.

When my eldest daughter died this year I felt some jealousy for those that believe they'll see their loved ones again in heaven. I just accepted their well wishes and moved on. I know that when we're gone we're gone. I can only hold her in my thoughts and try to fill the cavernous hole that was left in my psyche with loive for who she was.

Caron Level 2 Oct 26, 2017

There was a time when the idea of community had an appeal, but I found a different community and don't miss it at all anymore.

I miss the mulligans I used to give god.

hahaha! good one!

difficult to miss something Ive never had.

Not the religion. When I was an always hungry teen, did love the monthly potluck. The women brought their best dishes, and I wanted to show appreciation. So, some of the community part, but have found other sources of community since.

At one time I celebrated most of the Christian holidays, now I do not celebrate any of them. I have not attended any worship services for at least15 years (probably longer) and I do not miss them at all.

Sure. I miss the community aspect of it, and the music.

I tried to embrace Buddha because its about self but it didn't ring true.

I also tried that for two years in my search for 'truth'. Funny that I needed not to search to find the truth that I was looking for.

When you understand that, removed from ethnic variations, Buddhism is not a religion as such - you are not required to believe anything - but more a philosophy of life, then you might find more value in what he had to say. The 10 days Vipassana courses I've attended have been a wonderful means of 'opening my mind'. -- almost as good as psyllocybin or other 'emissaries' of the planet we inhabit.

This is an interesting and consequential question as, I firmly believe that many who would not claim to be agnostic or atheist, are resistant because of the fear of losing the rituals and community that religion provides. So, they go through the motions and avoid the self-reflection that one must go through to reach this epiphany.I still sang in the church choir, long after I stopped attending mass, and no one seemed to mind much.

No. I find religion to be like doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. It just does not happen!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.