Agnostic.com

54 14

How do you answer, "I want to know more about you"?

This message from men floors me. "What does he want to know?" I wonder. My personal history? The onus is on me to entertain him.

Yesterday I got that message from a man in Germany. "I suggest you focus on women in Germany," I replied.

Reminds me of my mother. "How are you really?" Mom repeatedly asked. Because I was born prematurely, Mom saw me as delicate, even as an adult.

"What do you want, my bowel movements?" I replied, amused, to sidestep the question.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

54 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You ask me to write an autobiography? Keep walking. If they want to know more, spend some time.

Although I understand how the vagueness or openness of the question can make for a weak icebreaker, I either ask directly "Sure, what would you like to know?" or I assume they want to know what's important to me and I'll tell a bit about what I value in life. I figure it's just someone trying to connect and express interest, and not everyone is a great conversationalist. Hell, I can be a little awkward sometimes, so I try not to hold it against others who don't have the best or smoothest approach.

How would I answer?... let's talk and find out. If it leads to something then great, if it doesn't then we both know. It's a win either way.

"I always find that question offputting... Why don't you tell me something interesting about yourself and we can have a conversation?" (not really actually I stutter and say wierd sht but I think that would be a great answer)

I think it is a well intentioned but uncreative question. Just talk about stuff and let the details come out, or at least ask more specific questions..

MsAl Level 8 Aug 18, 2019

I think you’re over thinking it a bit. It’s just another way to say “I’m interested in you”. Ignore the question if you’re for some reason interested in them or ignore them altogether if not. It’s really not a good litmus test for judging someone’s personality.

What do you want to know? What people want to know can reveal quite a bit about their priorities, and of course you should not reveal more than you want to, and they should reciprocate by telling you more about themselves, if they don't, ditch them.
If you don't like correspondence over a distance, tell them so up front. I think that it is bad though to just write someone off based on distance, not because I think anything could come of it, most likely not, but because there is a huge benefit in getting to know people from other countries, I have over 4000 friends on my Facebook account from countries all over the world . . . and talk about getting some seriously original thoughts and views! Would not trade it for all the American friends in the world.

I’d enjoy an open ended opportunity to expand on myself.

Also, it’s not necessarily a prompt for a response. It is not a question. It is a statement.

Take it litterally! Send him what defines you! Haha.

A reply something like "First, let me make sure. Are you a law enforcement officer of any kind?"

with one word: "why?"

g

I would just say, "Google it".

Lol I just had the same message. Interesting.

I have been asked this and I share whatever comes to mind and it either opens up a back and forth conversation. Or it doesnt. I like to hear what people want to share. I would assume your regularity wouldnt be the first thing someone was curious about.

well, do something interesting in your life and show it off when you go out with people. that way you're already doing something and you have someone to brag at about it. hell, if they gave me a chance I could go on for hours and hours about some really interesting shit (at least to me) that I've been studying and reading and writing the last 10-12 years. don't look at it as a downer. geez. look at it as an opportunity to talk up the one thing you probably know better than anyone else in the world. take that mic and spotlight and belt it out.

not a real profile. I only respond to messages that reference something specific in my profile .
What you have is a general question hoping to get a response. Ask them something specific and see what you get back.
Lots and lots of fake profiles on those dating sights

That's one of my least favorite questions of all time, and another indication that I prefer dating in a more organic manner.

Questions like that are too robotic for me, and quite honestly, I'm pretty open with my dislike of them.

Sure, what would you like to know. I'm not hiding anything.

"What do you want to know"?

might be wanting to know about your likes and dislikes . How smart you are.

Just tell them to check wikipedia, and if they ask you what your full name is to look it up, tell them, that it's also on wikipedia.

I can't put in all in a cup and let you drink in the information. You just have to hangout with me to know.

"Why would that be?"

Lol good answer

Neenz Level 7 Aug 19, 2019

That question sounds like job interview and very cold.

If I’d known how empowering celibacy is I’d have at least a decade of my life back. What else would you like to know?

I’m guessing the noise you hear in reply will be a choir of crickets. Just sayn’

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:390533
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.