Agnostic.com

120 39

Are You Lonely?

Being single can make me feel lonely, especially during holidays weekends. On July 4 and Memorial Day, I smell tantalizing barbecue grilling in neighbors' backyards. But I feel embarrassed to invite myself over to a friend’s family event.

All of my women friends are married. I have great female hiking partners (all married). We hike together one or two days per week. On weekends they are busy with their husbands.

The gym used to be a social place. But now everyone except me wears headphones. Headphones are a giant “Buzz Off- Leave Me Alone” sign. No more fun conversations with other athletes.

Meet Up disbanded in Wenatchee due to lack of participation. I didn’t go because their activities were too sedentary: playing Bingo and Bunco, pizza with wine/beer, and watching local (boring) baseball and hockey games. The Wenatchee Hiking Meetup doesn’t allow anyone above the age of 35. I could hike circles around those young whippersnappers!

As a Democrat, it helps to join marches and demonstrations. It’s wonderful to be surrounded by like-minded people. But that’s just one day. Volunteering as a college mentor helps me connect with people. The students I mentor win scholarships and go to college. That’s the point.

It’s lonely being a Democrat and atheist in a rural, Republican-dominated, largely married, church-going town. I grew up in Michigan in a family of highly intelligent musicians and artists. At age 21, I moved to Washington State to climb mountains, and stayed.

With a 146 IQ, I have felt different from other people, like I don’t fit in. Sometime I think I don’t belong on this planet.

"My intensity is too much for some people," my daughter Claire, 28, said. Ditto. But we both enjoy our intensity, heightened senses, high energy, intelligence, searching minds, sensuality and humor. This makes us who we are, and immeasurably enriches our lives.

As an extrovert, I love conversation and connecting with people. But I need alone time for reading, meditation, running and weightlifting. Although I enjoy being alone, I miss having a loving relationship.

I miss physical intimacy with a man. I don't mean just sex. I miss cuddling, foreplay, tender touch, romance, laughter and conversations. Without that, casual sex makes me feel sad.

According to psychologists, there are six types of loneliness:

1. Interpersonal loneliness: This is the result of lacking or losing a significant, or intimate, relationship.

2. Social loneliness: This is where a person is on the fringes of a group, excluded from a group, or is actively rejected.

3. Cultural loneliness: This is where a person belongs to a different culture and feels that they don’t fit, or belong, in the new culture.

4. Intellectual loneliness: This is where a person feels intellectually, or educationally, out of synch with their peers, their family or their social group.

5. Psychological loneliness: This is where a person has experienced a trauma that separates them out from others around them. That is, it’s something other people can’t fully understand.

6. Existential or cosmic loneliness: This is an isolating loneliness experienced by a person who is facing death.

For me, 1, 2 and 4 would apply, especially #4.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

120 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could have written this except for the highly intelligent part. but i think you learn something from everyone if you really listen.
my husband passed away and its really made life very stressful.
i fill my days up but thats just what i am doing .......filling the time up.
no family here in AMERICA and i dream of going home but immediate family has passed away.
so i just make myself go out and try to enjoy

I enjoyed your bio and this thread and relate to a lot of it. Sometimes I miss physical closeness, but dealing with people is such an attachment oriented affair. I am NOT in the mood for dealing with selfish conservatives so most Okies are off-limits.

I empathize with your situation. Unfortunately, people think I'm much of the time.

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker

hi can we chat i want you to fill happy now from this moment and not just chat that can releaseyou.

@LiterateHiker

I will be expecting you dear.

I am absolutely enamored with this post. I'll contemplate it on my way home. -Ron

Thank you, Ron! I appreciate your kind words.

Your profile is beautifully written, funny and touching. I can tell you wrote it from your heart. Bravo!

Hugs, Kathleen

@LiterateHiker You know, I was going to recommend you move to St. Louis. But I'll just leave it up to @EltonRon to convince you 🙂 Good luck to you both

I've been divorced since October 2016 after 33 years of marriage. We actually separated in 2014. I'd be lying if I said I never get lonely (I do) but as an introvert, the solitude is not so bad for me. So, #1 applies to me, as does #4. That's one reason I'm on this site--to interact with other intelligent people, as I find non-theists to be (in general) more intelligent than religious people. Of course there are always exceptions, and I enjoy debate with those people. I work with people all day, so when I come home it's fine to just interact with my daughter (or both daughters, if it's my turn to have the youngest with me). I'm learning to enjoy the solitude, and though I would like to have a relationship at some point, I'm OK by myself.

I'm an introvert and I get annoyed with people quickly, so being alone doesn't bother me. When I'm in the mood for company, I go out with a friend and get annoyed in about two hours. Then I'll be grateful to be back home with my cat! Lol. Seriously, it makes it hard to date. Everyone seems desperate to jump into something right away. I also need to mention that I was in an abusive relationship for four years, so maybe that's why my current solitude is so precious to me.

Lani Level 5 Apr 9, 2018

When I can't take my isolation anymore, I shoot out to the local bar, 3-4 beers and back home. Sometimes I find company, sometimes I leave totally depressed that it is such a small, tiny world they exist in. Depends on, not the crowd, but if there is someone "aware" in there

Being a progressive, introverted, single dad with a 165 IQ and no formal college education stuck in the middle of oklahoma I'm thinking everything but five and six applies to me. But I don't put much stock in IQ scores. I know I have my issues with certain areas.

I'm sorry you're stuck in OK. I lived in the Panhandle for 2 years.

@sewchick57 Yeah my ex-wife put a provision in our custody agreement that I didn't notice that prevents me from moving out of state unless I give her custody. It was a bit of a low blow.

July 4 is my birthday so I do feel a bit lonely if I'm by myself

I feel a little lonely sometimes, but not greatly so. I sometimes feel on the fringe of the people I live among in real life, although I have a couple of close friends I talk with frequently over the phone or internet. I also have anothe close friend in real life. In addition to these, I have some neighbors who I see two or three times a week for a short time. I mainly feel that most of the people who live around are more or less conservative or religious, and I don't know of any other atheists living in my apartment complex. I'm also probably a little more intelligent than most of them, and more intellectual in my interests., That's one thing I like about agnostic.com -- I can find intelligent people, people who really think.

Sometimes your intelligence prevents you from "playing the game". It does me, anyway. I have the ability to attract a woman but when it gets down to silly sophomoric protocol I just find it demeaning. I want to say just what I feel, the attraction, the real feelings and also the apprehension. I feel all should be up front, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings but I want them to be where I'm at. My feeling cannot be hurt.

Good point, clarkatticus. Agreed.

Am I lonely = Yes. I wuld really like to have that special lady in my life, but I do not think that will happen. I spend a lot of time alone, but also enough time with other people with whom I am generally on friendly terms. No intellectual stimulation. I have given up seeking intellectual stimulation, intelligence can be a curse, I will just say I am being lazy and maybe my IQ has dropped a little in the past 10 years. Not enough to make a big difference I am down 18 points due to aging, but still have noone to hold a decent discussion with on topics that interest me.
I stay very busy, finding shells on the beach gardening, playing with my animals is just as good for me as redesigning the local energy systems and networks, which is what I have in front of me at the moment. I have female company for bushwalks, conferences, coffee dates, I even have better than ocassional sex, not regular, but I am not climbing the walls = YET!.
None of this means I am not lonely, just not alone. I am just accepting that with turning 60 in a couple of minths, it is too late and I am too fussy, as are my potential mates.
BTW Love your Paul Simon take.

Thank you, Rugglesby! I appreciate your compliment. It was fun to write, using the same meter (a musical term) and rhythm as "50 Ways to Lose Your Lover" song by Paul Simon.

Hi I do what you do ,,I am 62and hating it ,getting old on your own sucs ,,I didn't think I was fussie ,but I guess I am ,or no one wants me lol,been on dating sites,met a few ,but no go ,so it's just me and me dog ,,lonely hell yes ,I think we all need a mate ,,

@rugglesby, @literatehiker, et al., How does everybody know their IQ scores so readily?

BlueWave, when my younger, 15 year-old brother was diagnosed with bipolar disorder, all four kids were given IQ tests by the psychologist who diagnosed him. At age 19, my IQ was 146. Over the years, I have retaken the test and it's still 146. Even online IQ tests give the same result.

@BlueWave Re I.Q., I was tested in numerous jobs I held. All sorts of tests, I really don't put much stock in any of them. Even IQ tests have a massive cultural bias and also biased toward mathematical and analytical skills. Scary thing is my IQ has dropped significantly over the past 20 years, so regardless of the tests shortfalls, my mind is losing it. I have gone from 156 down to 138. Maybe worse by now, have not had a test for a about 15 years.

Wanting to share one's life is a delicate thing, I think. While I tremendously enjoy being out in nature, recreating in one form, or another (I actually crave it), I also desire the closeness and intimacy of a mutually respectful, loving relationship. The one relationship (a marriage) I've had that got anywhere close to including both of those desired circumstances ended with infidelity on her part. So, that was something of a disappointment. It has made me somewhat doubtful as to the prospects of that ever happening.

So, I experience a kind of loneliness of not being able to share and mutually enjoy my outdoor experiences greatly. With a number of relatively long term relationships behind me, that one ideal coupling has never been fully realized for me. I enjoy hiking, but mountainbiking is my "raison d'etre." I feel at this time that I, literally, cannot live without it. It has been the one constant in my life for some 26 years, during which I have, at times, very deeply immersed myself.

In terms of the enumerated stages above, I guess #'s 1 and 6 might apply, even though l do not feel that my demise is imminent. I do, however, remind myself almost daily that this day, indeed, this very moment, could be my last.

Hiking is a transcendent, uplifting experience for me. It engages all of my senses. Most importantly, it calms my busy mind. I feel most centered and grounded in the mountains.

When sunlight filters through the trees the way it does with lace curtains, I feel an enveloping happiness to be alive. This is the core of being human. My joy is made stronger by the certainty that someday it will all come to an end. It’s a rare gift to understand that your life is wonderous, and that it won’t last forever.

@LiterateHiker, that's pretty much how I feel about mountainbiking, it is challenging, and puts me out where the wild things are. I'm a very considerate biker and always yield to the other trail users when required. I've seen some really cool things (puma, bobcats, foxes, coyotes, rattlesnakes, deer, etc.), and been in some beautiful locations, as well as dangerous situations while biking. I truly believe it has saved my life. So I think I get how you feel about hiking. I do a little bit up behind where I live. The area is the Cleveland National Forest in Riverside and Orange counties in CA. I hike back in for an hour, or so when I need to clear my head sometimes.

I have experienced several of the types: psychological,social, interpersonal, and existential, though I was not from death it was from disability. I too notice that headphones and the smart phone are ways to close ourself down from others. I am an advocate and like organizing. I have an emotional support dog that helps with the feeling. I am very friendly and outgoing but it takes some time to recharge. I found that in order to find friends I joined "Meet-Ups on the internet with like minded groups. I have only found one real friend. The rest are superficial friendships. I am lucky I live in a sea of red, but the one city I live in it is okay to think different and be different.

No; I have done enough, had enough & been enough to myself. I think because I am creative and open to change - Life hasnt been a breeze for me but i have done enough and learned so much that I feel good in myself - I think the terrible times till I was 15 and left home prepared me for all the joy that came later. People have come and gone out of my life and I didn't grieve forever new things always came up so on the whole I suppose i always have myself as an interesting person to play with

I think all 6 of them fit me. I admit loneliness in many forms and it will not get better. Part of that is my age. I favor younger women but do not have the money today to try this again and I do not need the stress. Years ago I viewed myself as a "Watcher" that sees everyone and what is going on, but does not get involved. I am not spontaneous really, and I am in control of myself. This doesn't make me much fun but I'm a good mentor.

Sure but only occasionally and I doubt it persists much longer. Its only 1 for me.

You are still just a kid! Ha! The older I get, the more difficult it becomes to meet someone dear. I just do not wanna get old as crap and be all by my lonesome.

@SheBeSecular I am just a kid...hence divorce 😉

@maxhyde You'll do fine in Gnashville. Just watch the drivers! Oy!

@SheBeSecular Not a problem. I work from home

2,4,5 Social loneliness..I moved to a more Senior area and don't fit in. Intellectual loneliness.Extremely so!! where I live is horribly, intellectualy stifling. I found one other woman who I broached this issue with and she agreed but chose to 'dumb down' to have company! I prefer to communicate via computer and watch movies and documentaries that challenge me. Psychological lonliness. I'm dealing with protracted benzo withdrawal syndrome and since it isn't an easy one like cancer, the flu or a broken limb..no one tries to 'get ' it. At times I'm judged for being an addict (not the case in any way, shape or form! www.W-Bad.org), slowly everyone has dropped away except for my weekly helper and shopper, whom I adore as she is so funny and sharp and a peer support person that now comes weekly, I am isolated and the object of curiosity and gossip. I was widely liked and thought of, but since this befell me, I'm totally isolated. (what family I had in the area dropped away admitting they didn't understand what I'm enduring!!) Gee thanks, after I spent months caring for you during a bout with cancer.! So much for the concept of family. Thus, my life at this point. IF I survive, I guess I start from scratch, socially.

@IWatchIReason
I feel sorry you feel isolated in the senior area. If you like reading, I suggest you call the local library and sign up for a book club.

At my library, I joined a book club with 30 intelligent, funny women. Our monthly book discussions are fascinating, hilarious and fun.

Also, I met my favorite hiking partner, Karen, through book club.

Kathleen

Wow... I've got to study this further, I think I feel enlightened and a little puzzled with the six types. If I may modify the "six types" identify with #1, #2 1/2 #3 1/2... #4*.... modifications might be a mixture of #2, combined with bits of #3, mixing with bits of #4. I've been somewhat of a loner, and have been alone now for 8 years, but rarely feel lonely.
I "usually" manage to spend time with friends on special occasions, 4th of July, christmas, and similar traditional holidays... was always easier in the past.
Then again... I knew a girl (lady) from Wenatchee, my last (latest,last) love, she fits right in with community you describe, I think a good person, but due to her "fundamentalist" religious and political bend, I'm happy where I am... I think. I seem to be surrounded by a similar thinking community, fortunately I don't have to sleep with them.
Reminds me of a lyric... I once knew a man named Magruder, . who met a young maid in Bermuder, . she thought it quite crude . to be screwed in the nude, . but Magruder was cruder and . screwed her.
I don't know why that lyric came to mind... Maui, Hawaii (Wenatchee) came to mind.

Tomas Level 7 June 27, 2018

This is a great, thought provoking post! I had never really thought that there were different types of loneliness. Nor did I ever realize how many of us are lonely. It is nice to know that there are other people out there that feel the same way I do. I would say I fall under #1 and #2 mostly. @literatehiker you seem like a very interesting person to know. I enjoyed reading your profile. Where does one go to get an IQ test? I have never done one. For all I know, I could be smarter than Einstein. LOL. I highly doubt that though. I hate math!

HI Aushra, Thank you for your compliments.

My first IQ test was at age 19 after my brother, 16, attempted suicide. He was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and a genius with a photographic memory. All four kids were given IQ tests by his psychologist.

Look up: "IQ test, free." Kathleen

p.s. I hate math, too.

Was married 27 years. She hid being an alcoholic for 15. The lsdt 3 she refused any source of help and it became clear many of our problems were caused by her making opportunities to drink or being under the influence. So now I am 47, atheist, non smoker, no drugs, and not super liberal. I stay busy during the week. But there is a big whole in my life and weekends are hard. Dating is hard because I have only ever known one woman and I don't know how much of what I liked or wanted was based on lies.

I feel for you, the situations we deal with in our lives brings us mistrust in all that surrounds us. It was hard in my 20's to meet and date because all there was in life was drinking and drugs. Now that I am in my senior yrs the same still holds true. Do you learn to trust all over again. That is the big factor. We have to stop limiting ourselves and love who were are to trust again.

I have often felt as you so ably describe... I would say I suffer from all 6 types of loneliness on a bad day... Fortunately most of my days are good tho I live in a very isolated place, so it’s just as well ....

I find it interesting that you feel lonely having I high IQ I have felt the same way in the past. Very often people find me too intense and accuse me of using words they don't understand and seeing things from too complex of a view point. Often I have had to dumby down my language and content in speeches and discussions. Being hyper aware of the world around you comes at a price that price is that you often feel alone.

For me several things have helped. The first is to find what you love to do for me that is farming it is a challenge both mental and physically. Second is to learn to use the awareness and intellect to take in as much of the world around you as you can, I have learned to do this to the point where I live my life in a near state of amazement; really hard to find time to be lonely in that state. Third is to involve yourself in social justice within your community it is one of the places where your intelligence and awareness can be put to good use. Politics does not feel this need for me although I have involved myself in it several times; I find that there are too many game players involved in it.

For me the biggest thing has been to involve myself in the National Farmers Union here I have found many other kindred spirits. Not only do we share interests in farming but also that drive for great social justice. The other thing is that most are also extremely intelligent there are Ph.D's and many who are also members of Mensa. It would be useful for you to find to find something similar where you live.

High intelligence is not always valued in our society it often leaves people feeling uncomfortable with you because you are capable of higher levels of thinking and take in information quicker, more effiecently and are able to process and recall it more accurately and completely. Others do not like to be reminded of their failings.

Longing for intimacy is very human but, that seems to be a lot harder to find as we age but, that does not mean we need to be lonely.

I am alone, Not lonely. The loneliest I have ever felt, and it was Horrible, was when married to a man who professed to love me but proved Clearly that he did not!

I would say the same about my 1st wife.
My 2nd wife would say the same about me.

I'm not sure that I am actually lonely. I often find myself on the fringes of a group, but it doesn't really bother me, other than occasional awkwardness. I am not a person who can talk to anybody, anytime. It takes me a while to connect. Other times, the stars align and I talk with everyone. It is strange, because, before I retired, I would walk into my exam room, with a woman who I had never meant, who was there for her initial OB visit, and immediately make a connection. We formed very close relationships from the first visit on to the day I retired. But, in a social situation, I am quiet, can't think of much to say, and just listen to others talk. I would say that instead of lonely, I am rather envious of the ability to talk to anyone in a social situation. I am also 71 years old, and after 25 years of marriage from the age of 19 years old, until I divorced, I love my life of living alone

This is a great feeling ...Feeling comfortable in your own skin. Becoming wiser as we age has it benefits. I will be 65 in Nov. an there is so much comfort in being alone

Wauw, 77 replies! This is apparently an issue that moves a lot of people.

Gert Level 7 Apr 2, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41530
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.