Agnostic.com

47 4

Most common/ridicuous argumento pro religion?

What is the most common and the most ridiculous argument that you hear from the religious people?

Pedrohbds 7 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

47 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here are a few of them

You cannot be moral and atheist as morality is god given without god you are by definition immoral regardless of your actions

Something can not come from nothing except god who simply is

The bible is true because it is the word of god and we know this because god tells us so in the bible

God does not send people to hell, they send themselves

People need to be saved because of the fall of man (Adam and Eve) which is why god sacrificed himself to himself to get around a law he made, BUT you still can't take advantage of this unless you enslave yourself to him to say thank you.

Good list.

Although the myth of the paradise has some roots in "don't seek things (fruit of knowledge) out of the tribe (tree of life) or you will die". That is a valid point for bronze age tribe, we are waaaay past this stage of civilization XD.
Aaaah the hell as separation from god comes from the same source.

Anyway, the moral argument is annoying, really annoying. But easily rebounded when you talk about slaves in the bible

"If you accept the sacrifice of Jesus and open your heart to him, he will come into it.

So basically, all I have to do is to believe he's real, talk to him like he's listening, and acknowledge his part in my life and then I'll know him.

Yes, that is exactly how delusions work.

I'm dubious about opening my heart to Jesus. I have the knives that are quite capable of doing the job, but my concern is the resulting pain and blood loss.

yes, believe first then you will believe.... lol

@Pedrohbds It's amazing people don't see how stupid that argument is.

I tried that. I really did. It didn't work.

You could put a big sign on your kitchen wall that says "Believe". Then your troubles would be over. Drink the KoolAid - it's good for you.

The bible is universal truth and knowledge. Often their answer to a difficult question is, you got to have Faith. Grrrrrrr...

Why bother to explore and advance humanity, Everything you ever wanted to know about the meaning of life is all in a book. Also it's a sheep herders guild to the universe .

hahahah I will have to remember that... THE SHEEP HERDERS GUILD TO THE UNIVERSE... LOVE IT..

Everyone knows there is a god because the bible tells us so.

God has so many names and that is the real reason there are so many religions. Someday we will have the whole truth.

@Sealybobo That ‘theory’ also doesn’t account for people of all colors and languages. Somehow incest just makes no sense!

@Sealybobo God populated earth twice through incest. Somehow that just pleased him and it gave all of us something to be forgiven for.

Pascal's wager.

JimG Level 8 Nov 26, 2019

a classic and also the easiest to refute, since it can apply to any god.

"Where do you think you'll go when you die?"

My stock answer to that is: “same place as you”. The “because we’ll both be dead” is silent 😁!

It's all part of God's plan, and God has given us free will. Well which is it? If whatever we do is part of 'his' plan, then there cannot be free will. Even my not believing in 'him' is part of his plan, which seems rather stupid. But then, if we have free will, then God cannot have a plan.
Catch 22 aye.

I have never doled out more “likes” in one thread than this one. Well said everyone!

Hands down the The Kalām cosmological argument.

Something can not come from nothing. (which may not be true outside our universe)
God made something from nothing. (so they say without evidence)
Therefore God.

classic

The Kalām cosmological argument. Also known by some as the colostomolical argument, because it is full of holes where all the shit leaks out.

You are guilty, guilty, guilty unless you grovel.

They use the Bible to "prove" things, never questioning its truthfulness, or lack thereof.

classic
The bible is true because the bible says that the bible is true because...

@Pedrohbds Here's my reaction to that bogus argument:

@BestWithoutGods the spyderman exists because the spyderman comics says so

@Pedrohbds LOL.

Years ago my ex was collecting clothing to send to Romania and the collection point was a church in town.
The minister was badgering her to join the church as she was spending so much time there. She muttered something about humanism and he shouted at her "Do you think think this all just happened".
She was a very shy person and just clammed up. I wish I had been there to have a little debate with the pratt.

What LenHazell53 below says, plus.

You don't believe it because you don't understand it.

God loves you but you just have to open your heart.

For Christianity anything related to Hell and for Islam the concept of 72 virgins waiting for a hero.

Judaism has lots of nonsense in the Torah but they continue to discuss and debate so that’s a pretty good arrangement.

About 72 virgins would be my hell.

A Christian told me, how ridiculous Muslims hell was, they shove a monkey up your butt.

Then I asked him, is your lord burning or demons eating you for eternity, any nicer.

@Castlepaloma You can buy anti monkey butt powder at Walgreens. It even comes in a feminine version.😁

I heard that this 72 virgins is a kind of crazy priest talk, not something real in the religion.
About the hell is pretty the same as the christian hell

It is written you can get from 2 to 72 virgins in Islam paradice. Suicide bomber will haggle over how many virgins they get. If council agree to give 72 virgin, the bomber could say, ha ha, I would have done it for 50.

A female suicide bomber detonated a vest filled with explosives at a university in Baghdad Sunday, killing more than 40 people. If male martyrs can expect to find 72 virgin maidens in paradise when they die, what rewards can female suicide bombers expect?

Their husbands.

Sucks both ways, give me a fire breathing whore.

@Castlepaloma I would be more sad for the monkey than myself. But that is just how I roll.

Human shit is the most toxic in all of the animal kingdom, it would be a greater hell for the monkey.

What sick fucking imagination we have. Lol.

One that has always bothered me is when something good happens my sister says it's gods will, then when something bad happens she says he works in mysterious ways.....really?

That's the entire point of the indoctrination system; all glory unto god, but no blame.

exactly, it is impossible to question a god build that way.

"Well, the bible says ..."

What if he's real? If I don't believe I will go to hell.

One my sister likes to use when I say something that she can't refute is "Well, I try not to think about it".

They're all sheeple who just follow the herd. I truly feel sorry for them because they honestly believe they're thinking for themselves when they're not.

"You really do not need any evidence to know God"

I don't hear comments because I seldom give anyone an opportunity. I only say things like, "of course, there's no god," when someone is using god and the Bible as some lame excuse to attack gays/Muslims/women/people of color/immigrants/etc. then continue on with my conversation without giving them time to respond. If they try, I just smile broadly and change the subject, as though humoring them.

The most silly comment i have heard is, How do you know you wernt there. No ammount of reason can dislodge these ideas from the brain of a committed believer

(Paraphrasing🙂 "I went away to Bible camp and the others prayed for me. When I went to my cabin, I met Jesus... He's real... We talked together... He's really real... "

That was the most rediculous argument, which I viewed as part lying for Jesus, part delusion. The most common? "That's what my family believes." (peer pressure/argument by authority).

That god made Donald John Trump some sort of messiah to his followers...so not true!

We are God's children and he loves us all. He put us in a universe that is unbelievably hostile protected only by a very thin and fragile layer of atmosphere, on a planet that is constantly trying to kill us with earthquakes and an assortment of storms, plagues, and diseases. He will punish us with incredible brutality for showing the slightest disrespect, maybe for eternity. If you treat your children that way the authorities will take them from you and even put you in jail in some cases.

Most common: my holy text says so!

Most ridiculous: all of them!

common, the pascals bet upgraded is not that ridiculous
There are many serious philosophical works over it to improve this argument and they are very complex and persuasive.
Of course they all have some fundamental flaws, but they know how to shield and protect those flaws, it is a funny exercise at least.

@Pedrohbds I don't know what the upgraded pascal's wager is, but if it's anything like the original then it should be able to be countered easily.

@Happy_Killbot It just expand and shields the original pascals wager* saying that if a god exits needs to have this and this characteristics otherwise the universe is not possible (of course this concept is elaborated on many pages of argument), this in principle would close the wager to only 2 possibilities. But of course there are flaws.

@Pedrohbds Like the fact that it is already a false dichotomy?

@Happy_Killbot yep, they try to shield this flaw making an argument that a good like the yhawe is the only that results in a stable universe...

In Mahayana Buddhism the idea Avalokiteśvara will stay in the world until all sentient beings are freed from saṃsāra.

Hinduism is awash with all manner of claims, where do you start?

For Sikhism The Guru Granth Sahib, the sacred scripture and declared to be the final Guru, being given its own chair in the temple and the idea of society being organised along the lines of divine justice.

I confess I am completely ignorant about those religions and as India and China (and other countries in those areas) tends to become a significant power in the world I should inform myself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:431452
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.