Agnostic.com

22 19

LINK The cost of honesty

I'm not estranged from my family, but religion can definitely cause division. Mainly due to there being no place for complete honesty about what you genuinely believe. It's always funny when people feel betrayed by a person being honest.

MusicManDre 6 Jan 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am taking my lunch break and feel like the only atheist in this Christian-filled restaurant. I'm sitting across from a Bible study and overhear all the religious chatter that everyone agrees to blindly. It is the norm for prayer groups and Bible studies to be held in public places, especially where I work. Sometimes a nonbeliever like me can feel lonely. :/

I completely understand. There are probably times where you just want to openly express how you feel about your non belief to others (just like you see believers having openly casual conversations about their beliefs), but you know your views will be easily frowned upon and perceived as an attack by believers. It really is sad and can definitely make you feel isolated, uncomfortable, and lonely. I'm in north Florida so I definitely understand the bible beltway issues.

Wow. It's surreal to me. If I went there I would feel like those missionaries from old......visiting the colonies with my moral high ground, and need to spread the truth. If you can learn to laugh at them, it might take the sting out of what they say. But frankly I can't help you. It must be awful. Where I live , it is much harder to come out as religious. I hope you find some allies.

I hate it when this happens as I cannot stand to listen to a loud argument that makes absolutely no sense at all.

I had an amazing friend (died from cancer) who was religious, we had a great relationship, when I went to his father's funeral (in a catholic church) I sat at the back he came up and said that I could go further in I would not catch on fire, I quipped back that I wasn't sure how safe the church was going to be with me in it. He looked at me and suggested I sit as far from anyone as possible so when the bolt of lightening came it didn't take out anyone else, gave me a big hug and went to be with his mum. We joked about religion all of the time. That is how it can be, people making fun of themselves in in the worst of times and knowing that each of us believed something different but I was there for him and he was there for me when my mum died.

And that is all that matters. Love for each other.

Maintaining polite reticence is so much nicer than getting in people's faces about private beliefs......

It is, but if one party has to hide who they are to keep the peace, I don't believe respect is a part of the mix.

@MusicManDre ever heard of "change the subject"?????

@AnneWimsey It's not always as simple as changing the subject. It's about someone not respecting you on a fundamental level. Kind of like asking a white supremacist to just change the subject about their dislike of black people...while talking to a black person. Believe it or not, some people with religious beliefs still have an issue with non-believers even when they are not discussing anything about their non belief. All I'm saying is, if it's acceptable for someone to casually allude to their belief in a god in a conversation, it should be equally okay for someone to casually allude to their disbelief as well. That would be considered fair. What I was saying earlier is simply that one side should not be suppressed if the other side is not under the same suppression. Simply expressing a non belief in a god is not an attack on someone's beliefs and should not be treated as such.

@MusicManDre try confronting these xian bigots with this line: why r u a Nazi to Atheists but never a hell threat to a Jew ?

There have always been honesty issues but I found that honesty went out the door totally when Trump got the White House. My Trumper relative says I'm wrong and that all started with Obama. How so? She has nothing to show except racism and white supremacy remarks. I find this funny coz she is Mexican.

Since Trump was elected the phone scams that bother me have tripled. I'm not kidding. I also see adds for TV antennas that will pick up for 999 miles, etc. It is lies. Every bit of it is lies. I suppose that if Trump can do it, then anybody can do it.

Religious honesty is yet another thing also. It turns my stomach.

Honesty is probably the best policy, but that doesn't necessitate folks shouting opinions on any matter they please, anytime they please. People on both sides of the fence can be guilty of this.

We pick our battles based on how much tension we wish to inflict and/or absorb. When we feel compelled to be honest about a particular thing, it is assumed we accept the risks and costs that come with it. Those who choose not to perform those calculations find out quickly how much their opinion is appreciated. Or not.

In every conversation with one or more other human beings, every human being operates this way, automatically. Some are better skilled at calculating than others. In order to enhance one's abilities, it is necessary to attempt to empathize or at least anticipate the positions of the other people involved in the interactions. Just as in a game of poker, where the more skilled opponent is the one better able to anticipate the other players' possible hands.

An example: I love my aunt. I know my aunt is staunchly Catholic. I know it is better for me and my aunt if I don't throw the fact I'm an atheist in her face.

I hear you. Unfortunately, religion is one of those topics that is complicated, because it's widely accepted and respected by a large part of society. Whereas, an openly atheist/agnostic person may be criticized and disrespected just for identifying as a regular human being. Simply saying I don't believe in a god should not be an automatic strike against me as a human being. That just shows how messed up our society is...disrespectful to people who don't believe in something that has not been proven to exist. Some people are showing more respect to an invisible entity than to tangible human beings that they can unquestionably interact with. Very sad.

@MusicManDre Full agreement. Unfortunately religion (pick your flavor) by its very nature claims to have moral, ethical, and even intellectual superiority, and we all know what it's like to deal with persons afflicted with a superiority complex. 😉

What a lot of nonsense. In any group of people there is always going to be divisions, that doesn't meant that I feel betrayed by someone els opinions or am angry about it. Grow up I say to those who think that ones friends or family is going to think and feel the same.

"Growing up" is what the real issue is

We aren't just talking about any old opinion, we are talking about rejecting their god and everything they believe. I am sure that there are plenty of families who would make an atheist family member feel like they had betrayed not only their god, but them personally.

I guess it is easy to "grow up" when one's family of origin is not being emotionally, psychologically and verbally abusive to try and guilt or coerce or shame you back into being a believer. Good for you all? slow clap

@demifeministgal I think that there are very few families that are not emotional. All the people I know do have at least one family member who is emotionally unstable and wrecks havoc for the rest.

In my life, honesty=being alone. People can't even be honest with themselves.

Right on.

He may rapidly become the poster boy for those that have come out as unbelievers. It is going to be a great time of stress for him.

@FrankA Two different things. I did not suggest such a thing. A visit to the link may clarify.

I lost my family when I became honest about religion's lack of evidence. I had a web page on which I displayed the evidence I had found opposing religious propaganda. My sister read it and was convinced. So, she left religion, too. She and I are now great friends. In fact, she is at the top of my list of best friends. 🙂

That is a very rare achievement, selling through facts. From my experience, family dislike facts and treat it with suspicion. People want to believe, because of their investment in it. But like you, because I have sold my position through facts, I've lost most family.

@Vpatel I take comfort in the fact that I have my integrity intact, and I'm not faking belief in the BS that is religion. Those of my family who abandoned me did it of their own choice, not mine. I hope you have found your happiness, Vpatel. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods i'll be honest, those who believe in God delusions appear happy. When they pray, they appear to get some kind of placebo-driven benefit. They don't want to be woken from the belief.

So what about me, a man of hard facts and science. I do take comfort in the fact that I understand how the world works.

But in the end, with no grand objective, I do ask myself at times, am I really better off? And when theists get pleasure from believing in their god, then is that really worse than watching a fiction movie, as both the movie and the religion are fake, but both provide pleasure?

If I was deluded, and believed in a creator, at least perhaps I would be happier with the company?

I would love a world in which other people took pleasure in the wonders of the natural world, and just the fact that we are here and alive, though not for long in the grand scheme of things. But as others don't want to be on that journey, it is lonely where I am. So I'm not sure I'm better off.

Nevertheless, I do think the world is on a painfully slow but sure transition process to observing reality as it is.

Honesty is tough. It is required from time to time. I know my family is not happy. And I remind myself:

“There’s simply no polite way to tell people they’ve dedicated their lives to an illusion.”

― Daniel Dennett

One can be completely honest about what you genuinely believe while being tactful and diplomatic at the same time.

Tact and diplomacy won’t persuade people who need a delusion.

@yvilletom neither will the opposite. The original post doesn't even use the word persuade.You can't persuade stupid.

@Mofo1953 Speak for yourself. YOU can’t persuade stupid; I may find a way to do it.

@yvilletom i always do same as you (speak for myself). Go ahead then, who's stopping you? But saying "you may" means you aren't even sure of your way. At least I am sure that one can't convince stupid, they have had a lifetime of stupidity and as the saying goes, if you try, they will definitely win the argument because of their expertise at being stupid. So go knock yourself out!

@Mofo1953 I’m tall and can talk loud; bullying can open minds.

@yvilletom tough guy, huh? As I said, knock yourself out, literally. Bring a gun too, just in case the stupid is taller than you or tougher than you. Violence always works, right? Now who is being stupid?

@Mofo1953 You are being stupid. I will walk away. For an imaginary tall or tough stupid I have imaginary pepper spray.

Consider this comment my walking away. Respond with that kind of aggression and I will block you.

@yvilletom fuck you asshole, now block me you fucking coward bitch!!!

Some beliefs we hold; others we become. If he'd been discussing their views on arthouse cinema they'd treat that as a discussion but their religious views are part of their identity and to so an attack on those beliefs is perceived as a personal attack or rather an attack on their tribe. This is why their response isn't about how his counterpoint is incorrect or misjudged - the content it barely touched upon. Instead they focus on how hurt they feel by it how their relationship is damaged by such criticism. There's no more precious snowflake than someone whose dominant religious orthodoxy has been politely questioned.

My sometimes-violent Catholic father sent all of his five children to Catholic schools. My older sister was the first to quit and he expelled her. Before he died he knew all of us had quit. It was our revenge.

There were 7 of us and we were raised Catholic and went to parochial school during elementary. My dad was a convert but my mom just went along. He was not strict and life was good. However, out of 7, 6 are atheists. One sister is JW converted from 7th day Adventists. One sister-in-law is fundamentalists (all the other spouses are also atheists) but she and my brother don't talk about religion. I think my dad would be upset but he died over 40 years ago.

honesty is always best

I agree. That's why I like to be around like-minded people, so I don't have to worry about being judged for being a godless heathen. Easter is a good time to meet and hangout with other like-minded godless heathens. I'm going to Phoenix, AZ to the American Atheists national convention. You should go also if you're looking for community. I hope this helps. Have a good day.

The Truth shall set you free. John 8:31-32

Absolutely!

Yep. The irony in how (for me) that scripture is so true for the exact opposite of what the scripture intended...lol

Perhaps the speaker of those words has largely been taken out of context.

@beenthere Are you suggesting that John wasn't a loving and forgiving Xstian, oh perish the thought. LOL

@Surfpirate I don't think so. Not sure what you mean.

@beenthere Perhaps I took you out of context?

It is not my job to convert anyone. I find amost everyone accepts me as I am especially when I accept them under the same terms.

There is an extreme failure to communicate these days.

Always a trial with xians

bobwjr Level 10 Jan 25, 2020

My family has been pushed out of the loop for a long time, and I do not miss them. I have no room in my life for people who worship pedophiles, geeezzuuss, or who are racists.

Does it matter if you do not like one another, some sort of thought thoughts will produce false facts and lies from the cost of honesty!!!

@maturin1919
Not my term!

If you do not like what I write do not read my posts!

You must something better to do than be such a critical troll!!!

What exactly is a false fact? Sounds like an oxymoron.

It depends on situation... Just asking my self. Do they deserve my honesty? 😀 It is better to give an answer like a politicians than to directly answer their questions which is may complicate or disadvantage to my self 😀

I'm just not into playing games.

@MusicManDre playing games?

@Agnosticpoor you mentioned giving answers like a politician. To me, that's just playing games. I just prefer to be honest and straight forward so there is no walking on eggshells. I have no problem with being polite, but I'm at a point in my life where honesty on this topic is not something I'm going to dance around anymore if I can avoid it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:452271
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.