Agnostic.com

53 11

Why all the hate?

I realize not everyone here is filled with hate, resentments, etc., but it seems there is so much negativity and incredulity toward the topic of religion. Im not saying it isnt justified, but I am curious in everyone's experiences that have either led them to scoff and ridicule religion, or just simply walk away from it. Genuinely interested; happy to share my own experiences as well.😁

Brodney 4 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's mostly atheists filled with hate.
Agnostics are mostly indifferent.

Do you have any facts/statistics to back up this claim ?. I am a non believer and have been called an atheist by churchgoing friends but I don't hate anyone. Strong dislike maybe and people like Trump certainly top the list.

@Moravian I said I THINK, based on what I read on here. So no 'facts' or 'statistics,' just my opinion based on personal experience.
Believe it or not, something can be true without a bunch of 'statistics' to back it up.
AND there can be a difference between subjective truth and objective truth. In other words, something can be true for one person and not for another.
OBJECTIVE truth, on the other hand, is true for everybody. Totally different.

@Storm1752 As has been said many times. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.

@Moravian Yes, it has been, so be original next time.

@Storm1752 Next time ?. I don't think so 😉

Personally. I grew up in very rural AZ -- Mormon country. The LDS church colored every aspect of life in our society.
For example, the local school teachers would talk about the 'Mormon Mafia' . They all knew that you never punished a Mormon child unless you wanted 10 phone calls the next day and weeks of career level trouble yourself.

For a group founded by a convicted fraud artist (Joseph Smith) and full of laughably false promises and claims, they are very detail oriented in their desire to rule and end the world.

Personally again. I try to avoid the word 'hate'. But I'll admit that I don't have anything positive to say about them. Ample experience has left me with nothing but ill will. 🙄

I cringe when I hear Mormon speakers refer to 'these latter days'. They're praying for Jebus to return and end the world (personal comment -- as if he ever existed).

And they're far too mercenary about things for my comfort. They constantly work to accumulate money and political power. The word that comes to my mind is relentless.

I think it was in the late 70s that blacks were observably gaining (some) political power so the prophet conveniently got a revelation that they are people too.
And I seriously dislike their attitude towards women. An LDS friend once tried to explain it to me: 'They just have a different calling.'

They carefully isolate teens(mostly boys) and have them teach their 'milk-before-the-meat' populist version of a gospel. And simultaneously teach the stay-at-homes(mostly girls) how to grab and marry a missionary when they first get back when they're vulnerable emotionally.

10% tithes go to the church and don't come back. They accumulate wealth constantly at every level.
To reference a few... There's a large tract of prime land at the north of Flagstaff AZ that is now a church asset. I don't know if they still own Pepsi. They also recruit young people to go work their pineapple plantation in Hawaii.
I know that these are common types of behaviors in America's Extraction Economy version of Capitalism. But I wish I saw more institutional emphasis on the common-good rather than the church-good.
[Ok. Rant over for now. Sorry.]

It would take to long go through everything but here are a few simple google topics to give you an idea

1. The Magdalene laundries
  2. Ecumenical Child abuse in religious institutions
  3. The LDS evergreen international experiments in gay conversion therapy
  4. Deaths of Children and infants caused by Witch exorcisms in 20th century western churches including the UK and USA
  5. Religious Honour killings.

whoa...excellent list

I do not hate what isn't there. I personally am a vocal Atheist, but was brought up within the Catholic fold for my formative years. It was through critical thinking that I started to see plot holes in religious dogma. I was actually told by a catechism teacher that "I thought too much," and it was definitely not meant as a compliment. The thought of just "shut up and take it" made me even MORE inquisitive and prone to critically think about what I was being taught. As a rebellious teen and through a good portion of my adulthood I was a Buddhist, (after much research, understanding of Buddhism) and I thought I finally had found my niche, and for a while, I did. But those hard questions still kept not being answered. It was never enough or a satisfactory answer. Not until I picked up Cosmos by Carl Sagan and I read it that's when it hit me. From that point on I had to do a small jump, and be fully honest with myself and realize that there was never going to be a satisfactory answer to made up things. After that, I've been vocal about my Atheism and I have never looked back. It's been such a life changing experience, in the most positive way.

whoa. I found this an unbelievably profound statement - z"There was never going to be a satisfactory answer to made up things."

I have been telling folks, friends to whom religion is paramount, that if they want to know truth concerning the laws of "God" they need to study math, physics, and science. Within that frame, they need to look for what seem to be immutable laws and unavailable chains of cause and effect...
These are more likely than the bible to reveal the nature of "God's will". I mean, what omniscience "God" would create absolute laws and then forsake them?

REAL is irrefutable. lol

A lot of atheists are not big fans of religion and with good reasons. Religious people themselves are good people. I have no problem with most individuals, but the beliefs themselves are all based around feelings and not facts. Beliefs that want us to stay in the dark ages and not move humanity forward under the circumstances that we know to be true about society and about the natural world.

Do you hate cancer, but not hate cancer victims? There you go. Believers think it is an attack on them, and sometimes it is, but often it is an attack only on religion itself - and those who take it personally are letting their own ego's do that to them. I can read history, and know what religion does to us - and hate it, but there are many believers who I care for.

Most of the people I met in my catholic days were sweet people, gentle souls who would give you the shirt off of their backs if you needed it. They were also, however, judgmental and quick to criticize and ridicule. It was the Jesuits when I went to college who gave me the mental and philosophical basis to reject religion outright, and catholicism in particular, so to that extent I sort of owe them - I might still be on the circular path (I might not, too). Where religious people run afoul of me is when they try to force their beliefs on others, or hypocritically do privately what they condemn publicly. And mega church pastors or rabidly anti-LGBTQ zealots, ok, I hate those assholes. But normal religious people, I don't hate. However when I discover a reliance on magical thinking rather than logic and knowledge, I hold those guys in very low esteem.

Faith is the enemy of reason. I don't hate religion... I do think it makes people stupid

Leetx Level 7 June 23, 2020

Way too many leftees conflate HATE with TRUTH. No wonder we are in such deep shit.

Why should we not despise that which has sought for centuries to suppress, repress and even eradicate us from the face of this planet?
No-one truly knows for certain how many Atheists, etc, perished in centuries past due to the Genocidal Zealotry of Religions.
Even to this day we are still somewhat persecuted and subjected to endless and monotonous preachings, etc, via EVERY media available and by door-knocking, God-botherers trying to convert us and bring us into, what I view, as their Totalitarian realm, aka, religion.

Human beings need reasons to fight

Your post puzzles me. You ask "Why all the hate?" but then follow it with "Im(sic) not saying it isnt(sic) justified"

If it is justified, then why the question?

It is justified. And as someone else reminded us, the religious folk used to burn people at the stake (and many still would, given the chance and today's Trump-inspired hate-filled climate). Religion needs to be seen for what it is - a mental illness, propagated by our parents and those who profit from it. Religion needs to be outlawed, and removed from society.

I don't accept that any hate is justified. Hating always has a price attached, which i'm not willing to pay.

If i feel myself hating someone, or experiencing feelings which resemble hate-like anger-making resentment, i manage and resolve such negative emotional thoughts by doing something constructive about what i believe generated those emotional thoughts.

I explore whether i see something in the object which i hate about myself, and which i need to resolve. Alternatively, i think whether i need to exclude the person or person from my life, or whether i need to resolve the issue directly with the person. That will depend on whether the relationship is important to me.

If i hate 'things', i avoid them. If i hate how i feel after doing something, i make sure i never do it again. I admit that sometimes i forget and have to relearn lessons involving people-types and my own behaviours. LOL

What your witnessing has only happened over the last three or four months. Many of the erudite people don’t seem to post much these days and there is a plethora of what you describe.

Good luck with your stay and there are a few nuggets within the mire. The music groups are particularly good.

I also hate people who light other people on fire. I always have.

I would guess because religion was or continues to be used as a weapon or abuse tactic against people and made peoples' lives more difficult than they needed to be. I cannot stand self-righteous, willfully ignorant christians because they remind me too much of "family". And the actions of the careless religious during covid 19 is making me lean more and more towards anti-theism.

Nope, don't hate, just angry at them.

Ok, lets talk about the "resentment" toward flying clowns. I hate the people who try to pass the laws to make us respect the flying clowns. I don't hate flying clowns. They don't exist and any logical adult knows that.

Since age 13, I have been an atheist. I realized the Bible is just a book of stories or fables like Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Beginning at age five when I had to go to Sunday school, I scoffed at ridiculous Bible stories: Jesus rose from the dead, a woman turned into stone, parting of the Red Sea, Noah's Ark, etc. Inwardly rolled my eyes.

Michigan had a hard winter when I was 13. Bored and restless, my brother Lee, 10, and I read the World Book Encyclopedias together.

I was inspired by rational philosophers Spinoza and Descartes. They were bravely anti-theist (anti-gods), anti-church and anti-clergy in the 1600s when heretics were burned at the stake. They had to go into hiding.

The writings of rational philosophers Spinoza and Descartes inspired the European Enlightenment. The Enlightenment Period of the 17th and 18th centuries emphasized science and reason over faith and superstition.

Photo: Age 13 with my sister Beth, 7. Echo Lake, Michigan

You didn't tell us you could walk on water! It's a miracle!

@PondartIncbendog

We were standing in the shallows, as you can see. Very funny.

@PondartIncbendog

STOP criticizing and ridiculing my body. Your mean comments sting. I am a hairbreadth away from blocking you.

The top material had black stripes. Those are darts. I loved that swimsuit.

@LiterateHiker Wow! You are in a bad mood. It was just a joke. Are you going to block me for a joke?

You can't hate what doesn't exist... I do however despise the followers of religion who are destroying this country... Mostly what you see id people of like minds joking about the nonsense religious nuts believe and are afraid to question... Better you stop looking in the mirror and realize the hate is from theists towards us... Because "hate is always fear in drag..." Spider Robinson

In my life I have met many religious people of many faiths who hate & distrust anything not of their faith and they distance themselves. I have also met many who embrace differences (fairly rare breed). Hate & distrust is met with hate & distrust, not love nor indifference. The only thing to do is to have patience. If they can overcome their prejudices, good; if not, then let them go.

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." -Yoda

SCal Level 7 Apr 7, 2020

ah. Anger is a phase you go through. And this is a safe place to vent. People need a place to express themselves after so many years of deceit.
There is no polite way of dealing with anger. its personal. I'm mostly past it. But it takes time. years sometimes.
And we here welcome the rage and vase throwing. We can relate. Go for it.

What Paul4747 said. My exact same thoughts.

Raised by atheists & used to shocking people, I don't have animosity towards them unless evangelism begins. A reasonable discussion without shunning might be in order.

I do spend a lot of time on here but don't think that much about religion otherwise. I can hardly take offense at people being angry at religion since their anger is justified. Religion is really that bad. I do take offense at the few islamaphobes who make it the sole object of their hatred. Islam is just a bit more primitive, it will evolve and there will still be islamists who are just like christian evangelicals. No religion is to blame more than any other, they're all horrendous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:479874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.