Agnostic.com

21 13

Forty five years ago when I finally awoke from my Christian illusions I never dreamed I would witness the terrorist attitudes and actions of the far right “Christians” I am witnessing in our country today! Sometimes I’m glade that at age 77 I may not be around to see the end of this sh!tstorm. However I do have great concerns about the younger generation, encluding my daughter and grandson. What will be the final outcome of this horrific situation? Will rational minds finally prevail or will the USA become a full blown THEOCRACY? Your thoughts........😢

Justme43 7 June 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only time will tell. VOTE.

I believe before this is over it’s going to take more than our votes to stop this craziness

@Justme43 I absolutely agree. This is bigger than Trump. Voting is essential, but I’m afraid we’ve unleashed a monster in the populace that won’t be easily tamed.

And if Trump were to actually win a second term, I’m afraid we’ll be marching right into the set of “The Handmaid’s Tale.”

@Apunzelle I don’t know about Handmaids Tale; I was thinking more: Crystal Night!

If there's anything I've learned - its that life seems to be much like a pendulum that - over time - swings very far to one side -----and then swings very far to the other side. Sometimes those "swings" get shorter and shorter and that's when it seems to produce those periods of relative "peace and harmony". ????? My brother is a die hard trumpster and we barely speak now because he wants to browbeat me into conceding that trump is indeed the best, smartest president we've ever had. I know my brother is a very smart man - I can't imagine how he could have become so deluded....but as I last told him - I don't have a dog in this fight (middle aged sons, no grandchildren). He has a grandchild - and he just doesn't seem to be able to wrap his head around the idea that the havoc being wreaked right now (environmental destruction and everything else) is going to directly affect his grandchildren. ??? Where does this myopia come from??

Yes,
It seems trump and the obstructionist republican supports do not seem to comprehend that they are being used, robbed, looted, and that their children will never have anything close to what they had growing up!!!

How do you make someone see that they are plundering their own future on a tv reality scripted tv host?

I wish I knew. A good female friend of ours whom we have been friends with for years told my wife, she couldn’t sleep one night, so she just got up and watched faux news the rest of the night! My wife almost fell over with surprise (and disgust).

One of the biggest issues I see, time and time again, is the almost eerie fifty-fifty split on almost everything in the US population. From local elections to president. Be it abortion or legalized marijuana medical insurance or labor rights. The numbers are seldom more the than ten points apart either way.
This has the net effect that compromise is almost impossible on any major issues once a person is elected, because any sign of waiver is going to turn THEIR voters against them, or at least not incentivize them to show up to vote next time. At the very least, it will encourage a candidate of their own Party to run against them as the true supporter of the Party line. So there is positivily no incentive to address the 49% of voters from the other Party, who are not going to vote for you anyway.
Thanks to gerrymandering and a well financed, organized and long term campaign, the Republicans have managed to wrest control of almost the entire Federal government away from Democrats. But remember, they are there in almost every election by a slim margin. If Democrats show up to vote en mass in November, I believe we have the numbers on our side. Which is why I fear the Trumplicans will do every thing in their power to derail the election. And if they lose, I would not be surprised to see violence on an grand scale break out (maybe even if Trump holds on to his office, since they will feel empowered).
Sadly, this is just human history repeating itself. At some point, even the most advanced civilizations explode and disappear. Maybe our time has run out and we will be replaced by another Chinese empire, they were at one time far more advanced than the Europeans. I have young grandsons, so I certainly hope that my forecast is premature and we settle down to a new and better post Trump/Trumplican society. I kind of hate to sound like my Dad during the entire Obama presidency (he was a staunch Republican), but the current conditions around the country do not look promising on many fronts.

Sadly, you raise a valid point about our national polarization. I wonder how much is due to the way media chooses to report on issues. As for the erosion of our actual democracy logistics, it is very scary and disheartening.

Say it ain’t so, Barnie! But I’m afraid you may be right. ☹️🙁

Agreed. The American experiment has failed. We no longer live in a democracy.

@JeffMurray it was always kind of an illusion (the framers of the Constitution did not include slaves and women in their document, and originally only landowners had the right to vote). Where we go from here is at the very least fragile. We survived one Civil War, not sure we could survive another.

@Barnie2years Of course not. The side in power, most likely the Republicans considering their penchant for shitting on the Constitution, will have the entire United States military at their disposal. A coalition of other countries couldn't even beat that, let alone an uprising of individuals.

@JeffMurray as happened in the last Civil War, the military will divide. A large percentage of the military is non white, they will not be prone to take up arms against their own people for a obviously racist leader. At least a significant portion of the officers will stand with their oath to defend the Constitution and not join the white nationalists attacking the government. Some are already distancing themselves from the Trumplicans.
But regardless, the weapons in the hands of everyone today will cause much more death and destruction than the last time when soldiers were still mostly using single fire barrel loaders, not high capacity semi automatic weapons. That is what will make it far worse, even if it is a short lived and localized rebellion.

@JeffMurray
This is what happens when Christian Nationalist show up to vote and the Dems are too busy polishing the brass handrails on the Titanic.

We can take it back, but it will be bloody.

Well reasoned sir, and, i believe, chillingly accurate.
There will be a civl war and america will emerge as a first nation no longer.
There are just too many guns, and too many hardwired evangelicals/xtians and assorted other nut-jobs who will not accept any reality but their own.

@Fred_Snerd loved the movie!

If it does become a theocracy it will only be pretending to be a Christian one.
The west has only one religion now and it is the worship of wealth

When religion becomes more important than the people, the people suffer.

When money becomes more important than the people, the people suffer.

When anything becomes more important than the people, the people suffer.

If the people do not educate themselves and accept the realities of life, they will create whatever they "need" to assuage their fears and insecurities, and, depending on their fears, they can become oppressed by the very system they create.

But, what do the Xians fear? Is democracy any type threat to their way of life in this country? I just don’t understand it.

VOTE! And encourage others to VOTE!

No doubt in my mind, encouraged by unlearned, idiot, irresponsible and dangerous pastors, the evangelicals are armed and girding for a War. The Abrahamic religions' DNA, dogma and history shows this time and again. The Founding Fathers knew this and were well aware of the dangers religion posed

twill Level 7 June 14, 2020

I agree with you. Most of them want to usher in a right wing white supremist religious agenda that is much like fascism. They think all the things going on in the world right now are caused by Democrats. The whole world? How would that be possible? Suddenly everything is explained by the actions of two major American political parties. LMAO here. My step son's wife posted a meme to explain it and help Trump. I told her I agreed with her too, but it is the GOP doing it.

Just shaking my head in amazement and disbelief. 🤣 I've met a few of those types as well.

I'm afraid of my toaster. I think its listening.

the way things seem to be going it will be a matter of what is the most profitable.

True...

I'm hoping the courts will strengthen and maintain the wall of separation between church and state.

That's a pretty big hope considering how the conservatives are stacking the courts with their ilk, but I hope you are right.

Yeah you're obviously losing that one already

Moscow Mitch has rendered that an almost hopeless avenue of hope!!!

With over 300 super conservative unqualified fascists judges given life time appointments!!!

Adolf did the same thing in Germany from 1930 to 1933, his party was supported by the wealthy and their corporations to stabilize the country!!!

We all know how that turned out!!!

@of-the-mountain OMG! There’s that name — it’s been in the back of my head since November, 2016; but I just couldn’t dwell on it. I was hoping I was wrong and just being an alarmist in my own mind! But now, I may have had some bases for my fears.

Hundresd of conservative judges have already been appointed. It is just a matter of time. A fascist USA is not an impossibility.

the world as we know it will change drastically for the worse

People that think progressively do not seek to impose their points of view on others. Conservative Evangelic Christians do. Abrahamic religious zealots will use force to impose their views on others (think inquisition, 9/11, evangelization by the sword of colonized populations). So, the full blown theocracy is not a crazy scenario. They want that and are death serious.

Having grown uyp in th rural southern Bible belt, I have always known that they are capable of that.

didn't you read the bible then? cuz terrorist attitudes, barbarism, incest, slavery, genocide, baby killings, human sacrifices, etcetera were not just part of the bible but many were seen as law.

Yeah, studied it a lot for many years but only saw it as the main stream churches taught it. I glossed over the questioning parts and just absorbed the platitudes 🥴. But in my early days, all those bad things done to those people were from god and they DESERVED what they got. Wow, I can’t believe I actually rationalized and believe it back then! I guess a lot of us were blinded to the truth before the veil was lifted!

This what happens when the wealthy and their corporations who own the politicians, the police, and religious leaders to control the populace!!!

You do not have to agree with what I state below!!!

The point is to actually leave your comfort zone to comprehend what is actually goin down around us!!!

Yes, it is Shit Storm, too many of the young who are educated can see a bleak future while they went into debt for a promised piece of the so called America dream, instead they are paying their financial freedom away as the banks owned by wealthy and their corporations With huge interest rates and payments, they were sold out by the politicians that were elected to protect and serve them!!!

Funny how this Pandemic has created such fear that so many are willing to do anything to avoid others by being in a world wide lock down and self isolation!!!

Now, suddenly we have massive demonstrations against police racial violence, not that it is not real it is long overdue, this Coronavirus is real so is the racial divide!!!

If you do research about what is going on, not using the easy simple mass media BS we are being douche in 24/7 nothing adds up!!!

Yes, this Shit Storm is so far removed from the way we have been taught and how we have lived our lives until this year of 2020!!!

We are being prepared for more than anyone can conceive could happen!!!

Fear is their tool just as religion has use fear, now the government is using overt fear to accomplish a great feat of dominion over us, so quickly we want a cure that can and will never exist!!!

The demonstrators, the poor, the ethnic groups, the elderly, the disabled, and the veterans are not our enemy!!!

It is the wealthy and their corporations looting our county, our jobs, our treasury, social services, Our earned entitlements, our entire environment, while Building up the police, the military, and the politicians to lord over us without restraint!!!

While 42 Million to 80 million of us do not have an income, a job or hopes of one, unable to buy food, pay their rent or mortgage, Make their vehicle payment, or have any type of medical insurance which is affordable and actually covers medical conditions without over the top Deductables!!!

While the obstructionist republican fascists sit on all the bills to help the elderly, disabled, poor, working class, minimum wage earners, and our veterans!!!

These obstructionist republican fascist are blocking voting by. Mail, extending healthcare, badly needed simultaneous monies for food, rent and mortgage payments, healthcare, and for small businesses,

Instead they are bailing out the very corporations that sent manufacturing overseas, pay no taxes, did not invest in Necessary equipment, training, they instead used the money for buying back stocks and over the top bonuses for CEO’s who were bailed out back in 2008!!!

Yes, this is a Shit Storm force upon us by a very few greedy who will do anything as we are witnessing to control and profit off of us dead or alive!!!

Be prepared we will not recover from this Shit Storm, we will see many more die from this Pandemic and the false cures, wars, many will starve, too many will loose what they hold dear, love ones, shelter while these few individuals think they have the right to push what does not add up upon the 7.7 billion who inhabit this planet!!!

You pretty much summed it up. I have long said that we live in the USC; the United States of Corporations.

@Justme43 [cdn.shopify.com]

I worry about the same thing. Especially with the church to white supremacy pipeline that we have allowed to infest our military, law enforcement and criminal justice systems.

domos Level 7 June 14, 2020

I tend to think that they were always infested, but in the past we had achieved a level of political correctness that kept them in check. But from the moment 45 campaigned on a platform of ending political correctness, that signaled permission to be cynical about it. And we can either protest and try to show them it is not acceptable, or we can be acquiescent about it and let our way of life rot away.

It seems like the crusades twenty first century style
I hate the fact this god stuff just slows the progress of man kind

It always has slowed progress, in science, education, women's rights, agriculture, medicine, etc.

It slowed it for almost 1000 years during the dark ages of Europe. It did it before; it can happen again.

I don't see what you see, give some examples. I see a tyrannical government violating our constitutional rights. Of course, the constitution is just paper with ink on it, what did I expect?

Are you serious? "Religious" leaders calling for holy war? Calling for atheist's death? Where has your head been?

@PondartIncbendog where at? Lol

WHAT??!! You need examples??!! The rock you live under most be huge!!!

No surprise to me

bobwjr Level 10 June 14, 2020

Unfortunately. It is like what Obama said about racism: “The maddening normalcy of racism”. Your comment reflects the state of our society and its maddening normalcy of the actions of the far right.

I think this is an important moment for humanity. Many things we ignored for decades are finally reaching the breaking point. Older generations in the US (as a whole) are simply unequipped to deal with these problems, and as a result I believe the US will destabilize. However, I also believe this will create an opportunity for younger generations to remake our country's institutions. A lot of people will suffer and die, but in the end humanity may improve.

Yeah, other countries do not seem to have this problem, no matter of the religion, except that they do behead people in Saudi Arabia of course.

Well... that is the point of the initial post exactly. Saudi Arabia is a theocracy... it is not like other countries don’t have that problem. Instead, is that we did not have that problem until we began our march toward a theocracy.

@Rodatheist I have done some travel around the world and no other countries do not have the problem. I have also traveled in the US for many years and they seem to have had it for a very long time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:505923
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.