Agnostic.com

53 40

Who else is a naughty atheist who invites the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witness's into their home when they show up unannounced and uninvited? Is it just me or are there others who enjoy deconstructing their delusional beliefs and leaving them shaken and questioning their dogma.

Surfpirate 9 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I would, if they would stop showing up before noon on a Sunday. Or a Saturday. Sadly, they only catch me before coffee, and I'm really not very social at that point. 🙂

Ramen brother, only my wife gets to talk to me before I have had my cup of java.

Once I put a plastic Spider-Man in the front door window, they haven't knocked. About two years now.

You should hang a cross on it. . . Bishop size, with lots of rhinestones.

Have you successfully had any of them drink with you or smoke? Or even to loosen their ties? 😉

The Mormons aren't that hard to crack but I find it harder with the JW's because once they find out I was raised as one and know their lingo, it can be a bit heated.

@Surfpirate So what did you get the Mormans to do?

@Surfpirate I am an ex jw to when i have had a conversation with them i tell them my ex wife is a jw so they understand why i know about their beleifs. Then they won't run away and scream apostate

@raymetcalfe apostate, pagan, worldly, disfellowshipped, etc. every religion has their own jargon, I guess it makes them feel special. lol
I used to tell the JW pioneers that I was disfellowshipped in order to get them to go away but then they sent an elder to knock on my door, maybe a policy change, who can say? My brother was an elder so that wasn't much of a challenge, they always like to trot out obscure passages to make their point, it sounds corny to me and the logic is always faulty in any case.

@Surfpirate heated because they are aggressive? Or just a heated religious argument? Do they treat you like a traitor to the cause?

I see JWs all around town (BC - before COVID) standing silent and basically motionless by their bookstands. It seems like such a pointless exercise. Do they actually expect to get converts like that or is it just some mental torture/hazing ritual on n00bs?

I told them to look up in the Bible that they brought:
Romans 3:28 For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law. And then
James 2:24 You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
Then tell me which was right since they directly contradict each other and they go to the heart of their belief. They had no answer. After citing several other passages which I know by heart, I promised them that I would never come to their house and try to dissuade them, but once they leave their comfort zone, they have to confront reason and common sense. They left.

Maybe in your dreams. I think in all probability it's more likely to be like this:

Gareth Level 7 June 17, 2020

Damn I was hoping Penny would see the light and come back to visit them to get help escaping the cult.

I think you flatter yourself sir

waste of time and never during a pandemic

Nah, mostly a waste of time. I mean some may change their minds, but most are totally ignorant about what a belief really is, to them it seems a reality. That's a mighty big disconnect from reality that they totally do not understand.

My favorite upon inviting them in is making sure they're followers of Jesus. If they emphatically claim they are, then respond wonderful! Rubbing hands together, tell them that their visit is extremely timely and thank them for stopping by. 'When the doorbell rang, I was just on my way to wash my own feet'. 'Y'all have a seat whileI fetch the towels, soap and water; won't take but a couple of minutes' Maybe offer them a beer...

Well I don't believe I know enough about the bible to argue with them. I was one of those ones they got their hooks into but it wasn't because I was at a low point in my life, I was just very curious as to why they did what they did and about the bible. I talked with them for about 2 years but all I heard about was the good parts. They never showed me the not so good parts. I'm not really looking to argue with them anyway, they can believe in what they want and so can I. I also believe that when people are suppose to see or understand something they will.

Supposed to? What determines what people are supposed to do or when they're supposed to do it?

@JeffMurray It's when they are meant to understand something then they'll get it. Does that help?

@gracielufreebush No, what determines what and when things are to be understood by people? Do you not see where I'm going with this?

@JeffMurray I don't believe I do.

@gracielufreebush To say that one is "intended to" or "supposed to" begs the question why/dictated by who? A higher power? There is no "supposed to".

@JeffMurray I see what you mean guess wrong choice of word on my part.

They don't come to my house anymore.

redhog Level 7 June 16, 2020

Are there pieces still left in the freezer? Word like that tends to get around. 😉

@Surfpirate I haven't had to buy dog food in awhile...... lol

@redhog Dead fucking brilliant.

I actually had a discussion with a couple of JW's once, they never came back. 🤔 but now that I think about it my car is usually the last one in the driveway. 😁

I had some friends who invited them in one time. They were drinking wine and asked them if they wanted some pie. They told them they had just finished baking it (it was chocolate cream from the store, no baking required). They didn't stay long.

Been there done that.

I harassed Mormon missionaries in Italy. Does that count?

Definitely an A for Effort. 🙂

JacarC Level 8 June 18, 2020

The JW's came into my family through grandpa. The ex and I used to feed them sometimes as they came over for dinner. They were more interested in her I believe because since the divorce I see them very seldom.

I guess they didn't consider you a good prospect, picking the low hanging fruit instead.

@Surfpirate What do you expect from an organization that has come up with the true name of god simply by asserting our language vowels into the unpronounceable name of god - JHVH. In my view the English language has nothing to do with Jehovah.

@DenoPenno You are going way to deep in the gene pool for these folks, they don't understand the concept of evolution, Darwinism, fundamental sciences, astronomy, etc. etc. The JW's are a bunch of disgruntled fundamentalists that pulled some loony shit out of their asses so they could pretend they were fundamentally different from the other fundamentalist religitards, way back in the 1800's - they don't do science or logic or rational thought. I don't expect much at all from these charlatans.

@Surfpirate I agree except that they are no more charlatan than any of the other religious charlatans. I came out of a group that said they were "full gospel." This would imply that others had a half gospel or maybe a third gospel. BTW, where is the Third Baptist Church? IDK.

@DenoPenno I'm guessing that the 1% gospels were having the most fun. 😀

I have before. I had one lady who came back several times, and she brought her husband a couple of times as well. They were pleasant, but they got nowhere on their religion stuff. Maybe in the future I will reverse proselytize.

SCal Level 7 June 17, 2020

Mormons don't really come round here, if I see them I always say hi...JWs are pretty low key too. In recent years they have been advised against door knocking. My friends up the road are JoWits and they are lovely

Amisja Level 8 June 17, 2020

Have you manage to save them from themselves yet or still working on it?

Since 1980 there has been a brass plaque by my door where others have a doorbell. It reads, "Did you call first? It is the polite thing to do."

In the French Quarter home, there was a Hot Tub in the kitchen - how it got there is a different story.

One night, I was marinating the catch of the day in the Hot Tub. I had properly prepared the catch with a few glasses of fine wine and Flounder stuffed with lump Crab meat. My estimate was that it would be ready for consumption after 15 minutes of simmering at 102ºF.

That is when there was frantic knocking on the door. With the Plaque in plain sight the thought went through my mind that the old guy next door had a heart attack or the building was on fire and the FD was trying to rescue us, so, with much anguish, I got out of the tub, threw on a terrycloth robe and opened the door.

There stood some Holy-Joe women with some kids, I shut the door, lost the robe and returned to the Catch of the day. The snap-lock on the door did not catch, the Ho-Jos pushed the door open and walked in.

They came right in and started talking, I told them, "This is a cooking class, not sex education." That is when one of the kids noticed the Catch's boobs floating in the bubbles and said, "that lady is necked."

They left in a hurry, did not bother closing the door, so I had to get out of the tub and close it, this time, I flipped the deadbolt.

Igeaux Level 4 June 17, 2020

Wow a Jehovah's Witness home invasion! No wonder folks in the south think they need to keep a gun handy.

I engage to try and understand why they do what they do. I don't know all the answers only how their actions affect others. Not only at my door but in the life

I have before, but I didn't make wagers with them. That's excellent.

Don’t think I’ve ever let any in … as it’s said, most people who break into a house have been inside before.. But I’ll talk till they drop. It’s a blast! They’ll stand there with ‘a book,’ proclaiming all knowledge lies within … I’ll stand there with decades of cutting edge science and eons of history.. They lose 🙂

Varn Level 8 June 16, 2020

They don't science at all, maybe a little pseudoscience but in general they live in a magical world governed by a magical being, so they have no use for science and even deny its existence.

Lol funny

bobwjr Level 10 June 16, 2020

I definitely would let in for conversation, however my approach is more to understand than to tear down, probably because I'm not so sure about what I believe. I do understand how it could be enjoyable to get someone thinking different though. That's what those conversations are meant for and we'd all do well to lay aside our beliefs for the sake of a newly emergent view.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:506700
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.