Agnostic.com

16 25

“In 1866, one year after the 13 Amendment was ratified (the amendment that ended slavery), Alabama, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina began to lease out convicts for labor (peonage). This made the business of arresting Blacks very lucrative, which is why hundreds of White men were hired by these states as police officers. Their primary responsibility was to search out and arrest Blacks who were in violation of Black Codes. Once arrested, these men, women and children would be leased to plantations where they would harvest cotton, tobacco, sugar cane. Or they would be leased to work at coal mines, or railroad companies. The owners of these businesses would pay the state for every prisoner who worked for them; prison labor.

It is believed that after the passing of the 13th Amendment, more than 800,000 Blacks were part of the system of peonage, or re-enslavement through the prison system. Peonage didn’t end until after World War II began, around 1940.

This is how it happened.

The 13th Amendment declared that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction." (Ratified in 1865)

Did you catch that? It says, “neither slavery nor involuntary servitude could occur except as a punishment for a crime.” Lawmakers used this phrase to make petty offenses crimes. When Blacks were found guilty of committing these crimes, they were imprisoned and then leased out to the same businesses that lost slaves after the passing of the 13th Amendment. This system of convict labor is called peonage.

The majority of White Southern farmers and business owners hated the 13th Amendment because it took away slave labor. As a way to appease them, the federal government turned a blind eye when southern states used this clause in the 13th Amendment to establish laws called Black Codes.

Here are some examples of Black Codes:
In Louisiana, it was illegal for a Black man to preach to Black congregations without special permission in writing from the president of the police. If caught, he could be arrested and fined. If he could not pay the fines, which were unbelievably high, he would be forced to work for an individual, or go to jail or prison where he would work until his debt was paid off. If a Black person did not have a job, he or she could be arrested and imprisoned on the charge of vagrancy or loitering.

This next Black Code will make you cringe. In South Carolina, if the parent of a Black child was considered vagrant, the judicial system allowed the police and/or other government agencies to “apprentice” the child to an "employer". Males could be held until the age of 21, and females could be held until they were 18. Their owner had the legal right to inflict punishment on the child for disobedience, and to recapture them if they ran away.

This (peonage) is an example of systemic racism - Racism established and perpetuated by government systems. Slavery was made legal by the U.S. Government. Segregation, Black Codes, Jim Crow and peonage were all made legal by the government, and upheld by the judicial system. These acts of racism were built into the system, which is where the term “Systemic Racism” is derived.

This is the part of "Black History" that most of us were never told about.”

#damonkrobertsrealtor

bobwjr 10 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was the only euro American in the first Black History course in my high school. Seems whitey doesn't want to know about historical facts eliminated from our educational system. These 20-30 somethings do....thank fully. Correct history by teaching it accurately.

Imagine how much better things would be if after slaves were freed they received a heartfelt apology and had been welcomed into white society as fully equal citizens. Instead, every effort was made to "keep them in their place." The end of slavery was the beginning a struggle that continues to this day.

Over here in Scotland, this has been part of my college studies into American civil rights 1945-2020.

So much for "America, land of the Free, home of the Brave, land of Opportunity for all,"

It is an aspiration. We are still working towards a "more perfect union". Reconstruction failed. We are trying to correct course.

@Mooolah "An aspiration" you say, but going on the past 200+ years of American history, etc, I'd say that "aspitartion" is more likely to be a great figment of imagination.

So nothing much has changed.

I feel ill reading this. How dare this happen??? Its soooo wronggggggg!!!

It's the deep South

@bobwjr yes I read and also know the slave history of the deep south. I've seen plenty documentaries. ...just that new horror stories creep out, like this and it just brings that helplessness back to my system and makes me ill. They need to bring all those statues down of those men who fuelled hatred, caused division and promoted slavery. No need to keep reminders of those white supremacists in your country.

@bobwjr it makes one weep.
Get rid of the rot for good!!!!

@SeaGreenEyez are you serious!!! Nooooooo
...but then you must know this, if you're saying this🙁

@bobwjr It is also the far north

There was the Civil Rights Movement, the equal pay act and various other attempts to gain equality - the Equal Rights Amendment has yet to be ratified BTW - starting in the 1950's and continuing thru the 1970's. Nixon began the war on drugs, this was how the government effectively dealt with Black Americans (mostly male) and the hippies.

The US in particular has always been fond of slavery in all of its forms, sharecroppers, wage slavery, black slavery, chinese slaves that were sent in as cannon fodder when building the railroads. It's never about how you climb in your personal goals but how many bodies you use as a ladder to get there which is what the game is all about. Disgusting, primitive and unproductive but that's Xstians for you.

Thanks for the post, it explains a lot.

Of course we weren't told, most our parents had racist views. Many of us had to look for knowledge elsewhere.

For most in our generation, casual racism was just the way things operated, it was taken as self-evident and never questioned. It looks like it finally might be changing, I sure hope so at least.

@zeuser I don't know what casual racism is, my mom is almost 90 and her views are racist, I knew her views were wrong because what she said was not what I saw at school or in the streets, I started to look for answers pretty early in life, but that's just me, I do hope things change for the better.

I had not known of the word "peonage" until recently. I would also recommend the book " American Prison" by Shane Bauer for more perspective

twill Level 7 June 21, 2020

And now as it becomes harder and harder to lock people up for essentially victimless crimes like selling or using pot they are perfecting wage slavery where people live their entire lives with no savings, sometimes working 2, 3 or more jobs and then dying effectively as a ward of the state with nothing but debt remaining. I'm 100% sure that a good many people in this country would be more than happy with mass rounding up for homeless and those at the bottom and shipping them off to labor camps or even literal plantations so they don't have to hire brown people from south of the border.

As always, thanks for sharing. It's amazing the things you find out when you really dig into history.

We are good at this kind of shit here in the USA. I guess it's not that much of a surprise that most white folks never really caught on that this was happening all along. Up until now, it was never even a point of awareness for the white majority. Finally, it looks like that is turning around, at least from an awareness standpoint. Behaviors have to change, though, or what good is awareness? I hope they do , lordy I hope they do, but the history gives no real reason for optimism. The mindset that nurtured and encouraged systemic racism is still painfully there, institutionalized and codified by law. This is the struggle, and everyone has to do so much fucking better. None of us are free if even one of us is in chains.

zeuser Level 9 June 21, 2020

Yep, slavery still exists in the U.S.
And now, with private prisons, more people are going to jail as debtors, something once considered unamerican.

Yeah Republican thing, we have at least one in Maryland when I lived there

Only today am I learning that some of this went on into the 1940's and early 1950's. I never lived in the deep South.

The stupid and pointless hatred still exists in some areas.

Growing up in the South in the 40s and 50s, virtually all people in law enforcement and the legal profession in general were members of the KKK and probably a great many still so today.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508044
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.