Agnostic.com

27 11

LINK You have been blocked

Writer and activist Shaun King announced Monday that he supports the destruction of statues that depict a white Jesus.

snytiger6 9 June 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wait. Don't statues of Jesus violate that whole "no idolatry" thing?

SMFH

FFS!

Jumping Jehovah.

Yes it does. But isn't expecting logic in relation to religious dogma kind of silly?

@redbai Holy Canoli! You're right.

@redbai Of course you're correct, but I can't help myself. Pointing out their repeated abject hypocrisy is a hobby.

@KKGator Great Gallows! Wup de DOO!!

@redbai 100%

Any religious statues on state or public property should be removed.

However, such statues of symbols on private property should only be subject to that religious organization / community.

domos Level 7 June 23, 2020

I'd be okay with that, IF they could confine their delusions to their own property.

The trouble is that they are wholly Incapable
of doing so.

@KKGator you are correct. Their agenda is about exerting dominance over existing political, economic and social infrastructure.

They believe the separation of church and state is a tool by which they can establish a de facto theocracy. These people were never loyal to a democracy.

@Fred_Snerd Had to look up the name, oh that dude, yeah I'd go with awesome. Don't forget some chrome.

Technically unless people start erecting statues of Paul Bunyon, The Easter Bunny, Santa, The Tooth Fairy, Jack from Jack and the Beanstalk, etc. Shouldn't all fictional statues be torn down?

redhog Level 7 June 23, 2020

I would think that almost any kind of statuary would be ok on private property - fictional characters or otherwise. The same would be the case with Jesus whether he be depicted as white, blonde, and blue eyed, or black with an afro. I have no doubt we have no accurate depictions of Jesus, not in art or in writing - even if he was a real person.

@Fred_Snerd YES! I am much more psyched to know there is a Paul Bunyon statue than I honestly should be lol

@Allamanda - Yes, Jesus and the 7 Dwarves. LOL! What kind of fantasy that would be.

@RussRAB spoiler the 7 dwarves are Roman lol

@redhog Just come to MN and see Paul AND Babe the Blue Ox!

So let me get this right.........They want me to care about the ethnicity of someone who they claim raised people from the dead, walked on water, turned water into wine and rose from the dead? The colour of his skin is the bone of contention here?

@ZenMasterD I believe it was STONED sheapards, as they used anything they could tp get high. Pot Shrooms and anything they were told by others to try.

read “The Emperor Wears No Clothes,” by Jack Herer .

I want the right to grow it myself. I will then make the Holy Annointing oil of the Torah. Guys in the Heartland of America, Brooklyn, are making it for Shabis.

If they can legaly make it I am becoming a Jew tonight!

So what's next? Will people start blocking black Santa? So tired of people's lunacy.

When you talk about destruction
Don't you know that you can count me out

How about someone paints them brown or black or brindle.

Brindle Jesus. That should be a thing!

The only good jesus statue is a toppled jesus statue.

JacarC Level 8 June 23, 2020

Fine, I'll say it: Isn't that kinda racist?

Because if there's one thing that's going to stop cops harassing black people it's limiting their exposure to a Caucasian Jesus.

Gareth Level 7 June 23, 2020

Well that is a definite symbol of white supremacy.

The statue pandemic is easily solved. Take them all down and put them in a special building where people can still see them if they like. Explain when they went up and why they came down. If this is not done you end up destroying them and lying about history. This lying is not good. Put the statues in the Smithsonian or some place.

Going a little deeper into the lying, everyone is so concerned now about uncle Ben and aunt Jemima. Whites especially. They just don't get it. White people made up lies about the house servants and cooks who took care of you and made your food, and yet, these people of color could not eat or drink with you in public. The lies continue as whites cannot understand why people of color are protesting today. Perhaps it is because white people have believed these lies (and wanted to believe them) for way too long.

White Jesus, black Jesus, everyone sees Jesus as being the color that they are. This is human nature. Wake up and decide if there even was a Jesus.

Erect adjacent contrary monuments to contrapose existing monuments.

I don't see Jesus as any color...

paying for the special building with your taxes ..

@Gatovicolo The Satanic Temple does exactly that (attempts to, anyway). If you haven't seen it, check out the documentary Hail Satan? If I were to ever join a religion, that might be the one.
If you're wondering, no, they don't believe in or worship Satan.

@mjwood A satanic temple that doesn’t purport to believe in Satan. How avant-garde!

I’ve pissed off a lot of Fox News Christians with this one but if you read the Bible’s description of Jesus then look at a picture of colin Kaepernick with a tight fro.

Then you can’t deny that’s what Jesus must’ve looked like.
Oh and by the way I’ve in several conversations with African Americans have pointed out that last thing that I’d be if I was them would be a Christian.
Because that and the Old Testament was used to justify the enslavement and treatment of your ancestors.

He looks like Moses.

@PondartIncbendog So did you meet him before or after the exodus? 😏

@48thRonin We burned a bush together.

Oh, Jesus Fucking Christ . . . . He had to have been a crazy ass bastard too so . . . and his middle name must really have been fucking because I have always heard it that way.

You do realize as human anatomy goes only jesus , aka "GOD" could be Jesus fucking Christ!!

jest say'n

I'm all for this!

White jesus was from Minnesota!

Pittsburgh.

I agree with him, tear them all down.

The Easter Bunny was Black. Live with it!

My bunny Christopher was black.

Topple and destroy ALL statues, etc, of this mythical Jeebus, the Saints and everything to do with religion.

How about if somebody just redecorated them some with lots of chrome and aquamarine inlays on the sides. 🤔

@Fred_Snerd No, 58 Buick Cabalero station wagon. But that's good too!

Jesus looked like his father.

Shaun King should take Jesus's advice lol. Jesus said take the log out of your own eye before pointing out the speck in your brother's eye. In this case, he accused the lawyer of defending her whiteness, when he's clearly defending his darkness. Jesus isnt even real, get a grip people.

And we are against that, why?

JacarC Level 8 June 28, 2020

Just wondering, but other than the raw material used, how is the skin color of a statue determined? Many historians assume that the "non-historical" character known as Jesus would have been of olive or brown complexion. How is this feature conveyed in sculpture and statues?

The study of fictional jesus is not historical because jesus never existed, to be upset because Mickey mouse has a white face when we know mouses are brown, its absurd

@Rich177 Agreed, but I am approaching this particular topic from a practical point of view. Since statues aren't paintings, there are a wide variety of colors between marble and obsidian. To those who think it matters, how is the color of a subject's skin determined from a bronze statue?

@p-nullifidian certain facial features are predominant in different racial backgrounds

Statues can last for a long time but they are smashable. It is possible to smash statues. No doubt quite a number of them all over the world are offensive to many and their disappearance from the public space quite necessary.

Necessary also to remind ourselves that the fiction that Jesus and his daddy are gods, whether black or colorless, is a bigger problem to deal with.

Like dreams, gods are unreal. They can be forgotten and/ or ignored. They usually are.

What is unreal cannot be destroyed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:508765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.