Agnostic.com

19 2

Were you one of those people who had a lot of friends growing up?

I didn't. I was friendly to a lot of people but close to very few. It wasn't them; it was me. I am not by nature gregarious. I am more of an introvert. The few friendships that I cultivated were close at the time, but none exist now. What about you? Do you still have any friends from your youth?

tioteo 8 Apr 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I had limited friends, was a tree climber and an outdoor kid, later lifted weights in PE, and I was also a book reader. Introvert from the word go.

No
I think I prefer trees and wildlife to most humans, they have better ehtics.

Nope. Being introverted, I always only had a just a few friends.

I have one very dear friend. The rest are people I know. I don't make friends easily, never have. I was bullied incessantly throughout childhood, and the few kids who wanted to be my "friends" either wanted me to buy their friendship (we were well-off) or only befriended me to stab me in the back. I reconnected with one former employer that I had been friendly with, and she tried to sleep with my husband. Needless to say, I don't trust easily.

Had a lot of aquaintences, only a few real friends. Now just one and he lives 2000 miles away. Town I live in is filled with churches so other than saying hi to neighbors on either side, I live alone quietly.

I am an introvert as well, and I always had a hard time making friends when I was a child. I had really close friendships with a few people. I am still friends with one of them that I met when I was 6 years old.

Yes, I had lots of friends when I was growing up. Only a few were close friends, but I think thatis the case for most peoplr. No, Iam not in regular contact with any iof them' although I have recently searched out phone numbers from several and talked with several briefly.

My friends were all of my teachers.

I haven’t remained friends with anyone from my youth, though some find me on Instagram. My friends usually come and go. I’ve never felt the need to have a lot of friends. Quite frankly, it’s tiring...especially to an introvert like me who needs a lot of alone time.

Funny, bleurowz's comment reminded me of something. As a child my mother, who was not religious, sent me to Sunday school (so, she said, I decide later if religion was for me. It wasn't). But one good thing that came out of that was the church summer camp. I was not the weak, weird boy who everyone picked on. On the contrary, I was quite strong, and stood up to the bullying of those around me who didn't fit in. At camp, I did hang out with the "cool boys," although I was not friends with any of them. There were two boys there who were the underdogs. One was a bed wetter, and the other was just tall and lanky, and seemed kind of goofy. They took a lot of bull from the other boys, especially those I was hanging with, until I stood up to them. So those two boys became my best friends at camp. One day we wandered down a trail and took a break under a big tree, and the tall lanky boy pulled out a case, that conatined HARMONICAS of all different keys and sizes! And he proceeded to pay themost beautiful music on them! I think my jaw hit the ground! I thought, how amazing that those idiots who bullied him, had NO idea who he really was! That eperience has stayed with me all these decades! After camp I never saw ANY of the kids from there. But those two boys have stayed in my thoughts ever since. And yes, there is a story about the bed wetter, too, but this is getting too long.

Great experience!

No I was a real loner - I started my education at a free school one where we had to work whilst in school but ot was our choice what we attempted -when i was 9 years old my mother realised that my maths was really non existent though it could do money tranactions fine and she decided ot pull me out and send me to 'proper school so from a quiet band of about 8 children all differnt ages, in just two big rooms i went to a local primary . I couldnt speak ot anybody on my first day as I was so overwhelmed - I think it was the start of me realising that I was never going ot fit in anywhere and basically I dont.

No, I had very few friends, as a kid. 1 or two at the most, and when I went to HS I had, really, none. I had acquaintances, but no real friends. I was an introvert as well. I spent most of my time studying and reading ( still onhe of my favprite things to do). After schooling I had a few friends, but they never seemed to last. I have NO friends from my youth, and now, NO friends I socialize with. Just acquantances, again. I'm always amazed when I hear people say they have friends from their youth. Friends for 20 or 30 years! I have no idea what that must be like.

Only one from public school. Many more from summer camp, and only because I reconnected with all of them years later (except one, who I remained consistent friends with). And maybe a few from college. I was pretty much a loner well into adulthood. I'd say now I'm more social than I've ever been, having been able to meet and/or reconnect with people from various backgrounds I wouldn't have connected with earlier in life.

As a teen I didn't think I had many close friends because I would move between 3 different groups in our school. I wasn't sure that I really belonged to any of them and thought perhaps they just put up with me drifting in and out - the teenage mind is full of doubt. I definitely wasn't 'popular' in the teenage sense of the word. Twenty years later, I realise that while I might not have had a solid 'best friend' or felt like I belonged anywhere, I did have a lot of friends, some of them very good friends and still have many of them today.

Your question has made me reflect on how lucky I was to have built friendships across different groups and not felt I had to conform. I even convinced my parents to let me move school in my first year of high school as I "had no friends" at that school. I am still in touch with many of the girls from that school 25 years down the line. The truth was it was a private Methodist girls school and I wanted to go to the coed government school - which definately turned out to be much more fun... but perhaps not as good for academic achievement.

No, over almost 12 years of school, 4 ocassional friends.

I've always had a crew

if u count critters, then i was super popular! but no, i had maybe 5 friends thru my whole childhood, i am in contact with one of them now. surprisingly tho a few of the facebook friends i talk 2 regularly now where just people i went 2 school with back then.

Byrd Level 7 Apr 6, 2018

Not really. I grew up in the church and our youth group was large and very active. I lost touch with them over the years but when I first got on FB I found one, then another, and then quite a few of the old group. I haven't seen any of them and we don't talk much, just post and sometimes comment. So, not really friends. My oldest friend was actually an employee of mine back in the early 90's. We've stayed in touch and I even helped her through some recent rough personal/physical issues.She lives in TX but I always stop and visit whenever I'm doing my summer trip to Michigan.

My ex was my best friend for 28 yrs and he has Alzheimer's now.

Sure. Until they began posting hate memes on Facebook, whereupon I realized most of my Haiti missionary kid childhood friends were the white evangelicals who voted for Trump, so I defriended them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:51098
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.