Agnostic.com

20 8

LINK Can a God Create Itself?

My case for transhumanism and human evolution. Hopefully it inspires you a bit (especially since 2020 has been a rough year.

holykoolaid 5 Sep 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I read and own a book called "Does God get Diahrea?"
Which basically shows how stupid you have to be to believe in God. I think this was brought up in the book.

The christers say so. God created jeebus. Jeebus = god. End of debate!

The real question is "can god microwave a burrito so hot, even he couldn't eat it"?

Terry Pratchett's Little Gods pretty much addressed the question in enough detail for me. No need for any kind of being, so much as a focus for belief.

Interesting video, although not what I expected from the title. We are a high-tech species, but biological evolution is relatively slow. The mis-match between our technological and cultural advances and our primitive instincts causes problems. Tribal xenophobia (racism is an example) doesn't fit in our cosmopolitan, fluid societies. Political systems have evolved from feudalism toward democracy, but our economic system is still feudal (https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Divine_Right_of_Capital/56PXCgAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&printsec=frontcover). The feudalistic economic system in the U.S. corrodes democracy. Big Brother has more sophisticated control over individuals, but Big Brother is rife with corruption.

We are missing the gestalt that is needed to benefit from our advances without causing more problems. What is missing most is not technology but SOCIAL advancement (government and political systems, ethics, education, economic systems that value the community and the ecosystem - not just the shareholder, etc.).

A God can do anything you imagine it can do since God's are built of imagination to begin with. I'm such a trans, you have no idea, trans gender, trans human. 🙂

If he was omnipotent...not that it makes any sense.

He was potent more than once? IDK.

We can learn from myths and stories that make a point. God/s are metaphors for that which we don't yet understand. Most have not evolved with our modern view of the word, so lack the strength they may have had in previous times.

We know so much more now, than when the major religious texts were written. I do think the next mythos will have to be more cosmically based. I have written some ideas toward that, but am not sure the world is ready for it quite yet. Someday maybe.

The next religion or mythos will have to come from science and be plausible with our intellect, and understood as metaphor, not believed literally.

In any case, since deities are created by humans, used to control other humans, and some even feel that by calling oneself a god, or having a god within you, everyone is god, well then the answer to your question is yes.

We here on my little island have recently received a cult led by a woman who claims she is "Mother God" and one or more of her sexual partners is "Father God" and her followers do whatever she says.

Her story keeps changing, first she was the Mother of all Creation, then Queen of Lemuria incarnate, where her father was Donald Trump, and now, in the past 24 hour hours, she has proclaimed that she is Pele the Goddess of Fire and Volcano, which is not sitting well with our longtime island inhabitants, and so our Kauai residents are now lined up outside her vacation rental house, and on the beach fronting it, with signs telling them to leave.

So, by saying she is a god, she is definitely making things happen here on this island, though not in a forward or positive direction. We are either all gods or none of us are, but we are all equal and need to show respect for all.

Human beings seeking to increase our knowledge and understanding of our universe is not acting as or becoming "God". Expanding knowledge takes work and a God doesn't need to work at acquiring knowledge. Humans can take their knowledge and use it to improve human living conditions or use it to harm others and destroy our world - God just waves his hands and does these things.

Imo, we need to practice caution in our pursuit of discovery, but we should pursue it regardless. Nothing has advanced our lives more than what we have discovered and learned. We've created problems along the way, and we still have plenty to address.

I agree with a few points in the video. We should exhort people to function optimally and maximally. And I do. However we also know that few people are up for that. Indeed, the lions share engage in varying levels of studied ignorance. They waste time and they use unreliable information sources, Fox comes to mind. Actually and obviously, media shapes the thinking for many, and engages people hypnotically, diverting them from more productive and useful activity.

The forebears of our society passed on values linked to mythical religions. Thus, vast numbers labor under one or another value scheme that has a false origin and corrupted translations. At best, religion is a behavioral trap, a glitch in our operating software or hardware of our brains. Recognizing your glitches should improve performance, an aforementioned goal.

This is all well and good in theory, but where we are as a species makes me think it is all but impossible for humans to survive each other long enough to realize this theoretical potential. Which also begs the question: to what point and purpose? Humans getting to another planet means we're just going to destroy another planet and be back in this spot again in another X years. Humans, and all other life on Earth (and anywhere else it may exist) is all accidental, and I see no need or purpose for us to perpetuate the results of that accident here or anywhere else.

I'm starting to wonder how many folks who've commented in this thread watched the video.

Not me, nor do i claim to. Do i have to watch every video posted in order to respond to a question that stands alone? I don't feel like watching a video. I did feel like answering the question.

g

Sort of like spontaneous combustion, for which we also have anecdotal testimony but no evidence?

g

Wait. What?

In other words
Poof! (Not proof)

@nicestuff You've gor it!

g

We can, and should, adapt. I'm on board with all of this.

Of course I can.

Only humans can create gods.

"And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon gods they made.:

I am dog, and I created my self, or did I create my mother, I cannot remember, I will see if I can find documents to prove this.

Trump hires only the best. So far these people have referred to him as an Idiot, A Fucking Idiot, a God damn Idiot, dumb as a rock, and more. When he has to talk about these people, who have dised him, he says they were bad, not good people, or not good for the country. So he hires the best, they think he is an idiot and he throws them under the bus when they repeat what Trump has said. I know the Democrats are responsible for everything that has gone wrong, but where are the one's he has hired and fired?

If it Watched enough DIY YouTube videos possibly.

I know very little about god other than what I have been told by religious authority figures who, in my opinion, know no more than I do. My opinion is that Nature, and the laws that govern it, can create itself and has done so.

Since, imo, No God/s, etc, etc, have ever existed EXCEPT in the minds of Human kind then God/s cannot create themselves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531047
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.