Agnostic.com

26 11

How many members were reared religious vs not religious?

Please vote, a newbie asked me, and I did not know the answer. TYVM

• 77 votes
  • 18 votes
  • 0 votes
EdEarl 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

years after my stepfather passed away,

I became an atheist

my stepfather was a Lutheran pastor, professor of theology,
and one of the most respected theologians in my country

I got tired of churches and religions, I got tired
of religions

I sent a fuck for everything, and I wanted to start
to be free

Only in recent years would anyone admit they were atheists. I suspect there were many doubters like me, that would have claimed to be an atheist years ago, if they had felt safe enough to do so! I simply hung out on the fringes of religions...

I'm not a cat either

You know how ex smokers are bigger jerks about other people smoking than people that never smoked?
That's how I am with religion, I was raised Assembly of God, it's a story of child abuse, brain washing, and emotional manipulation.
There's nothing good at all in Christianity.

I hear ya. Fellow AoG escapee, here! I do get it that some people choose to practice their delusion in a loving way, and I respect their right to their choice. Some are my friends. But experience taught me delusional paradigms are ripe for manipulative abuse, no matter how you slice 'em.

No option for me. Had 1 agnostic parent and 1 catholic

They tried to indoctrinate me, but I knew better.

I was reared without religion and without atheist or agnostic thinking. I did go to church but with friends not my family. My family only had be baptized and had me do confirmation for my grandparents. Now they consider themselves christian, I don't know where this came from!

I want to thank everyone for voting and sharing.

My family were/are fundamentalist Baptists. Though divorce was a sin, Mom was married five times. My first stepfather punched me in the stomach when I was three, and other $#!+ during my formative years. I shunned religion about the age of 12, and the family when I graduated HS.

I’m very glad everything worked out for you!! It takes willpower and discipline to work through that.

The past is history now. Stand up and be proud!!

You are a survivor. Good for you. One can be proud of survival ability. Council others as to your success.

@Mooolah @SeaRay215ex Thanks for recognizing me as a survivor, but it is better to not be forced into that option.

@EdEarl Better, yes, but we had no choice. Light a candle instead of cursing the darkness.

We were sent off to church on Sunday. Mom dropped us at the door and picked us up when it was over. Nothing at home about religion and at 12 I said I'm not going anymore. My twin decided to be all in and was confirmed in the Methodist church.
Openly state I am atheist, sometimes I'll say agnostic just so I don't scare my friends 🙂 who are believers.
No category for that so I did not vote.

My parents were culturally religious rather than faith-driven. Yeah, Xmas was Jesus' birthday but it was really about presents. Easter was chocolate bunnies and finding hidden eggs. I knew the story of the latter, but it had no resonance. Late in her life, my mother (who was dying of cancer) would go to the church grounds. She saw it as a place of comfort. She had been raised in a conservative, Eastern European Catholic household. Neither I nor my siblings are religious.

Was raised in a liberal christian church. Was taught that the bible is man written myth with lessons/messages. Upon heading to college, I encountered bible literalism, mostly used to pick on gays. I decided I did not want to be a member of such a dumb (talking snakes, really?) and mean club.

Zster Level 8 Oct 13, 2020

Yea......be good and be rewarded a place with pearly gates and diamonds

Or.....be bad and get sent to meet a funny looking man with a pointy tail and a pitchfork.

Wow isn’t the Bible all knowing? Hey, if Satan punishes the evil, wouldn’t that make him a good guy? Lol

Religious education but not so religious house

I chose A, but that's not exactly right. I was reared religious and never bought the bullshit is a better way of putting it. I never abandoned anything.

I went to Oneida Baptist Institute from 6th grade to graduation. They learned me well.

Deliberately raised atheist and happily so.

Originally labeled myself as Agnostic, but changed it to Atheist after a few years. (Saw no reason to stay sitting on the fence about it.)

My mom was a nazi. my dad was a stalinist. Both despised religion as long as it wasn't theirs. Thanks for phuqing me up! So much easier to give it up to the gods. But then I would not be a person of thought & independence. Right The Donald?

Damn, your life must have been interesting!! A Nazi and a commie. Wow!!

@SeaRay215ex Recalling the Chinese curse, my life has been interesting. Thusly I am hiding.

Atheist all around. Encountered religious people at around age 6 in a new neighborhood. The stories they told to show they were right only caused more questions. I shrugged it off. Never found out if it was a problem for my parents.

It all depends on what you mean by religious, we went to church on Sunday sometimes said grace before a meal, church on Sunday soon dwindled away especially as we got older and voiced our opinions, I would not say my parents particularly my mother were terribly religious, my father was raised in the cult of catholicism and that affected him for much longer. But as he was excommunicated by the church when he married my mother (when told by a younger much worried member of his crew he told him he was sure he would get over it)

I went back to Uni as an adult and learnt how to think critically. Religion didn't survive the critique.

Can't vote. They left it up to me but not by design. They did take my brother and sister to church, but I played baseball in summer and football in winter (not to mention Bears games). I wasn't going and they didn't force me to.

I just out grew religion and became an agnostic atheist.

I was not raised atheist, we just did not talk about religion.

I was raised agnostic. I tend toward atheism now.
I enjoy the scientific.
I perceive religions as destructive.

I was raised religious by people who just used religion as a shield to hide behind. This made be a more critical thinker, and, I soon became a believer that 90% of EVERYTHING is bull shit

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:542978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.