Agnostic.com

30 3

Does it matter how a gift is wrapped or is it only the gift that matters?

Aralt 7 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ultimately, for me, it is the gift that matters. Now, with that said, if I am giving a "special" gift, I will try my best to make the package look as amazing as possible.

Well said.

Thank you, @Lyricalfrog

If you are optimistic enough even a gift wrapped chunk of manure can be used as fertilizer.

Doesn't matter to me and I don't give gifts, I give cash.

I so rarely wrap anymore. I buy cheap gift bags, a bit of tissue paper, and let it go. The gift bags are reuseable too.

The gift, definitely. Wrapping is an esoteric skill akin to folding a fitted sheet.

I get really excited when something I wrap looks nice, but mostly because with my hands it's a rarity

Sometimes it matters...

Your quesrtion does not matter.

Was that rudeness necessary?

@LadyAlyxandrea It bothers me, I think correctly, when people post things with no substance or value just to gain points. v I value communication of substance and meaning, not inanity -- and it is my right to say so. I do not intent to be rude, but to be truthful. Truth matters.

Dude. Sometimes people just have idle curiosity. Not everything has to change the world. ?

@wordywalt
SO... I understand completely what you're saying. I tend to scroll past the questions or comments that seem to be "for points only". In fact, I've been considering posted a rant regarding this exact point.

BUT!! and here's the rub - when you don't scroll past and decide to make a comment, like you did - you are giving them extra points. So good on you for encouraging the behaviour you so detest.

ALSO - Don't be so quick to judge, you just make yourself look like an intolerant, rude fool. As what seems to be the case with this question, it's genuine. @Aralt is faced with a real life, albeit not life and death, decision to make and is asking for opinions.

Answer, don't answer, do whatever you want. But jumping the gun and shooting yourself in the foot is always a possibility.

@LadyAlyxandrea Hmm - did you even read my post?

Regardless of what I think of 'points' this is the ONLY comment I've EVER made about them and it was to call out someone who criticized the initial question and accused it of being posted Only for Points. To which I defended the initial question (as you did..) and suggested that if the idea was so repulsive to just scroll past.

My full thought on the 'points system' have not been posted so how you can assume to know what I think is pretty amazing.

I don't look down my nose , but it sure does seem like you comment on stuff before actually reading it.

Pedantic enough for ya? or shall I go on?

@scurry I have a better idea

I enjoy reading these little tete a tetes =0}

@Countrywoman I don't look for 'em, but I won't back down if someone is slanderous towards me... Looks like I hurt her feelings though - I think she blocked me.
I can no longer see her comments. Ah well, perhaps it's all for the best.
... All this over gift wrap.

@scurry You totally misrepresent what I said. Why?

@wordywalt Please explain. I will be happy to either clarify or apologize - whichever is called for.

@Aralt his reply was unnecessary. Rude people should get the sticks out of their ass and learn to enjoy the petty simple things

It is only the gift that matters. A well thought out wrapping shows extra special care, but it's what's inside that the person really wants you to have. Everything else is decoration.

The gift to me. Some people seem to care about wrapping. I definitely don't.

I thought it was the thought that mattered

Heck give them a towel with the gift and wrap it in that! (And a bit of ribbon).

I have two sisters who are so particular about wrapping. This year they finally realized my method of stuffing in a gift bag was So.Much.Easier! Also I feel gift bags are reusable and have no problem getting one I gave back.

I also spent one pre-Christmas wrapping gifts for people at a store. "The messier the better!" many told me - "They'll think I wrapped it!".

Only exception might be a ring - and the store will wrap that for you!

Being transmale, I see gift wrapping a big waste of time and money, but women seem to expect it, even if they simply toss the wrappings immediately.

Also gift giving for birthdays and Christmas is annoyingly silly. I agree with Sheldon of the Big Bang Theory that if you buy someone a gift, that person then feels obligated to give you a gift of the same monetary value, and the gifts are likely to be nothing either of you really wants.

My solution? Before a birthday, I ask that person directly which item (s) on Amazon they'd most prefer, then I have it gift wrapped and sent to their home with a card (all provided on Amazon).

They, in turn, know to just get me an Amazon gift card so I can keep happily buying Kindle books.
But, Sheldon is still right..our gifts just cancel each other out.

Big Bang Theory Gift Giving

The extra thought is nice. I know my husband always had extra helpings of me. He made sure to consider the beautiful wrapping. It's all about presentation also.

It is the thought that counts. I couldn't care less how or if a gift is wrapped.

Does it even matter that it is wrapped?

The gift matters.

Does it matter how you say something, or only the words that matter?

MsAl Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

I find that presentation helps show meaning.
A gumball machine jewelry wrapped beautifully with a meaningful note could be much more meaningful than just handing over a diamond necklace and expecting praise.

I've never been one to wrap things beautifully or say things right way though

My family has a habit of giving gifts in bags, as we're all terrible at wrapping.

A simple bow is fine, just makes things a bit more special

Depends on the person receiving I'd say. A great gift can be given in the store bag and still appreciated though.

Depends who is Wraping. Kid no adult yes

spelling matters. That woke me up.

Depend on what the gift is of is it the gift itself or the wrapping
99% the wrapping is torn off and chucked away

Rosh Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I am one that rarely receives gifts so the thought of giving a gift should be really matters. You cared enough to think of me. The gift is just icing on the cake.

It's the gift that counts.

As a woman I love the idea that a man took the time to wrap a gift for me. It tells me alot about how he perceives me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54869
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.