Agnostic.com

9 18

[thethings.com]

Poor Bill Maher. Ticking everybody off again. Well, good on him. I watch a lot of US media during the week, but only feel I get anything real about America when I watch Bill.

If only we could cancel the cancellers.

David1955 8 June 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maher’s an anti-vax hack, who is suddenly “pick me”-ing with the right now that he has money. He cries about cancel culture while being “cancelled” since the 90s and patting himself on the back for “exposing” Milo Yiannopoulis and “cancelling” him. So which is it, Billiam? Good or bad? And if you’re so cancelled, why the fuck am I still hearing about your dumbass and trash takes?

Kahna Level 4 June 22, 2021

I don't understand the reference to his anti-vax. He was vaccinated against covid and urged others to do likewise.

@David1955 gestures to video
He’s been anti-vaxx for 20 years. Good, if he changed his mind now. He’s been doing damage for 20+ fucking years.

@Kahna ah, so only like a quarter as long as vaccines have been doing them eh

@bbyrd009 while that was pretty incoherent, I’m going to assume you’re saying that vaccines have only been around for like 80 years?
And I’m going to say that various Native nations invented the injection as a medicinal treatment. And yeah man. 1/4 of a period of time since something has existed is a long fucking time, relatively. How those smallpox hitting these days, fren?

@Kahna hitting the weak in order to improve the gene pool, just like it’s supposed to; but the chief difference might be that people who prefer to vaccinate are fine with me
but we do compensate vaccine victims in a special court and everything

@bbyrd009 oh I’m sorry I didn’t realize I was talking to a Eugenics believer.

I’ll not waste my time then. You’re disgusting.

@Kahna “ppl who prefer to vaccinate are fine with me”

on my posterity's dime, no less
you're welcome

He is pretty funny sometimes, I am turned off by his condescending attitude

You are in Idaho. Toughen up.

I watch Bill every week. If you cannot get the whole show on HBO then look for parts of it on You Tube.

Some do that, while others download the whole show using a VPN to conceal their location. Terrible. 🙂

As a comedian, the woke left, and upright people from the right, certainly don't help him when it comes to getting laughs. If it doesn't offend somebody, it's not going to be funny. People need to lighten up.

barjoe Level 9 June 20, 2021

Yes. If you're offending both sides you must be doing something right. The hysterical attacks on Maher from the Left -- like the TYT people -- are just silly. While I admire their Les Miserable-like 'build the barracade' zeal, a little older wiser counsel is also helpful. They are big enough that they should know this. In the 60s they used to say, 'you sold out man!' to anyone who had outgrown their student radical days; that's an anachronism now, but the sentiment remains.

Maher's war on cancel culture ignores the cancel culture from the Evangelicals and Conservatives that has gone on for centuries against minorities, women, Jews, progressives and against science. Cancel culture may go too far occasionally, but we've become so used to the cancel culture coming from corporations and conservatives we don't even recognize it.

The problem of apologizing is that the racist idiot GOP never do it because they have no shame.

I agree, but I don't think Maher has forgotten any of that. I think he knows his audience knows this and it doesn't have to be said. He sees the cancel culture wokism as destructive to the Left and I think he's right. All these new terms aside, it's simply censorship in another name.

@David1955 You're right that Maher hasn't forgotten. However, he's beating a dead horse. His objections will be ignored, especially as he veers toward parroting Libertarian talking points, his credibility among Progressives plummets. Some percent of cancel culture will always be excessive, and it will always be an easy target for cheap laughs that have no meaning. He takes it way too seriously, as if those jokes will have an effect on the also all-too-serious SJWs.

@racocn8 I agree that he may be too close to the subject -- working in a field where cancel culture is rife, knowing those who have been canceled. But then, it affects him directly, and it doesn't mean he is wrong.

Real cancel culture is not Dr Zuess letting a couple of books go out of print. It is govt depts being told that they cannot use the phrase "climate change" and guys like Noam Chomsky being banned from university campuses.

Twitter give those who are nonsensical and often overtly warped a voice that in the past would be ignored or laughed off!!!

Today these unintelligent moronic idiots have a voice far beyond their abilities too put forth a civil discourse or actually contribute to our culture and society!,,

Bill is right we need to cancel the cancel culture of a few who could afford an internet connection!!!

He delivers every now and then.

He rather seems infatuated with his own cleverness, though.

I'm more in the Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert camp.

And Stephen Colbert's sister ran for congress critter for my district a few years back

Colbert is my favourite. Despite his Catholicism.

Who gives a crap what Twitter has to say. I don’t always agree with Bill Maher, but he’s entertaining none the less.......

Look for eternity and you won't find me on Twitter. In other words, I agree.

Murka is a giant pasture. When you fill it full of cows, there's one guranteed result.

That result being ... shit from border to border and raving lunatics in charge of the asylum!

@anglophone Always good to get opinions from the denizens of lesser countries.

@Secretguy
I hope that when you typed lesser countries, you meant smaller.

@Holysocks LOL!. That Murka needs to be made great Again tells me all I need to know about it. 😉 @Secretguy

@Holysocks Had I meant "smaller", I'd have typed "smaller".

@Secretguy
Typical murkan.

@Secretguy nationalism is just as much a corrosive delusional belief system, as religion.

@Mvtt
Very well put.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604491
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.