Agnostic.com

14 9

LINK Police Solve Just 2% of All Major Crimes | Snopes.com

What other organization (besides religious) can continue with such a pathetic success rate? It's why there has to be almost continuous affirmation of the need to have them around, they do such a bad job. The ridiculous thing is that they also insist that nothing needs to be changed in how they do their job.

redbai 8 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Police have no intention of solving crimes beyond ones where they can apply asset forfeiture for the possession of even a small amount of controlled substance.

Even if you have proof someone has your stolen item with serial number they will tell you that is a matter for the court. Or you just take it back.

Pathetic

bobwjr Level 10 July 3, 2021

I believe it. I have a cousin who breaks the law to basically get over on the police. He gets away with so much shit, when he's caught it's only because it's inevitable. The odds of success are so much in his favor that just about any fool can get his jollies and pump up his ego here.

Another example is the number of SocioPaths in leadership positions in this country. They've gotten away with so much for so long, they just keep moving on up the human food chain

twill Level 7 July 2, 2021

Policing in the United States is little more than a racialized jobs program... Structurally susceptible to white supremacy and fascism.

This doesn't even include the fact that most forensic science is not based on rigorous science. In fact, some parts of the criminal justice system even began hedging themselves against science-driven investigations because of how it was overturning past police work.

Police is an institution of narrative. That's why it always sold defensive about not being seen in a positive life or as a hero. They have no technical substance to justify their scale and scope of operations.

It's a mafia style security racket. The police always say that if you force them to change their culture somehow someway things will go bad for you... Particularly if you're white.

domos Level 7 July 2, 2021

So how come that jails are so full?

Why have the police harassed me for sleeping in my car at a rest area at night along the interstate, and I can now sit on my back porch and count gunshots in the afternoon?

It's not a perfect system, I know. It's extremely frustrating. I do wish there was an answer, but if wishes were horses, we would be knee deep in shit. Much love to you dear lady.

Because if they walk up to you and harrass you and you point it out, they can beat you down, claim you were "resisting arrest" or some other BS reason and arrest you. Given a system predisposed to believe them over their victims, people end up in jail.

@Holysocks it's a racialized job program. The substance of result is not relevant to how they want to be assessed. So long as police are treated with the facto trust and a heroin narrative it will continue to breed toxic failure

@SeaGreenEyez actually the jails began filling up pretty much with the 13th amendment.

Biden and the democrats used a crime bill to appeal to social conservatives And it definitely accelerated incarceration rates but it was still was not as impactful as war drugs by Nixon and the social conservative movement.

Crime in my burg is the currency. The police here cruise around until there is an accident. The city did away with crickets and in place of them, it's gunshots. The police might show up 4 hours later, take your statement, and end of the story.

But if you want an instant response, try spending the night in your car at a rest area on the interstate.

Criminal Nation.

If it was broken down as to the value of goods stolen compared to cost of police ( salary, equipment, HUGE retirement pension , Huge court costs, prison costs) . Perhaps it would be way cheaper to just pay out the loss. Drugs ? Fifty years of , fighting ?? Drugs is a mute point because there are more drugs in the world then there have ever been. Yes traffic control and attending bad wrecks ( that's a rough one) are very nessasary. Hostage negotiator tactics are all special teams.
Yes room for improvement , how one carries all that shit on their belt is beyond me. But it's the way of the world and if you mess with it ! They WILL mess with you and mess you up good.

Who is "They" who will "mess you with you and mess you up good"?

You're forgetting about the fact that if there were no cops to solve crimes and the threat of punishment there would be WAY more crime (Not to mention all the fake crime that would be used to scam the government).

@redbai on the primal level just shove a cop and see what happens on the higher level try to defund any police budget

@redbai, @JeffMurray yes forgetting a lot , as in that the real crime is weapons,war,kleptocrats,resource plunder and theft, pension theft, taxation , yada yada, ect

@NHwoodsman You're changing topics...

@JeffMurray.......... no he is not. its all part of the same puzzle

@holdenc98 Weapons are part of the puzzle of deterrent of crime by the mere existence of law enforcement? How exactly?

@NHwoodsman I think we've gotten to a point where it doesn't matter whether or not you mess with them as they will mess with you regardless. Acting out of fear is irrational and a sure way of doing the wrong thing.

Doesn’t take long to commit a crime. Takes far longer to solve it.
Don’t you watch crime shows?
Cutting spending would obviously make it even more difficult.
I think we should be critical in cases of negligence. They need positive encouragement, like most social institutions.

Mvtt Level 7 July 1, 2021

A 2% success is a failure in every other professional endeavor in the world. They are either doing it wrong or it cannot be done effectively. There is absolutely no excuse at all for not changing the process with such a dismal failure rate.

@redbai A 2% conversion rate of website visitors to transaction, is within the realms of normal rates.
But you’re right on one point I reckon. They cannot do it effectively. Police need more resources, not less.

@redbai

@Mvtt "A 2% conversion rate of website visitors to transaction, is within the realms of normal rates."

That's not a "profession".

Piling more money on a failing profession is throwing it away. Especially when there is NO ACCOUNTABILITY for their work results or the harm that their profession causes.

@redbai it’s called ecommerce. And it’s big business, actually. At least today, you’ve learnt something.

@Mvtt True, I learned that you're presumptuous.

eCommerce is not defined as the conversion rate of website visitors to a transaction and nothing you've posted validates piling more money to a failing profession.

@redbai I’m an ecommerce professional of 15 years. A 2% ecommerce conversation rate is successful.
Don’t tell me my profession doesn’t exist.
You can choose to remain ignorant.
But your quote “A 2% success is a failure in every other professional endeavor in the world. ”, is bullshit.

@Mvtt Your emotional outburst is humorous. Apparently you think it lends credibility to something but it certainly isn't relevant in relation to policing. You know, the actual subject.

But let's use your analogy and compare it to real life scenarios. Who's being killed because an analyst can only get a 2% conversion rate? Are ecommerce customers satisfied or are they constantly trying to get better results?

If the medical professionals had a 2% success rate would that be acceptable? If the pharmaceutical profession only had a 2% success rate, would people use their products? If only 2 % of cars were safe would that be acceptable? If only 2 % of airplanes in the sky could be considered safe would you get on one? Police have the power to take someone's life, it's not remotely the same thing as hoping someone buys your product on the internet.

There are many reasons for this and it is not that the police are just so terrible. Sometimes criminals are so much into crime that something else does them in, or they get caught for some other crime and do time for that. Another thing is that cops do not waste time on cases if it appears the case is going nowhere. Often a man in prison will finally admit he was the uncaught killer of 20 years ago.

That sounds like very bad excuses for cops to do a very bad job. If similar logic were used to justify such poor performance in any other profession there would be consequences. Why does the nation need to pay so much money to address 2% of the crime? At that rate, why have the police force at all?

I think it's mostly that they are focusing on crimes that bring them money- drug crimes that bring with them civil forfeiture.

@JonnaBononna
When you sit out on your porch and count gunshots in the evening, people stop traffic to scream at someone that offended them, children are out being pimped, teenagers are tweaking dressed like clowns, and the police can't be bothered to at least drive through once a day, there's a problem.

your point is granted. for whatever the reasons, a 2 % solved rate is pathetic. but when are we ever going to ask and answer the "800 pound gorilla " question that no one dares even mention? what percentage of all major crimes, solved and unsolved, is black crime? that is obviously a rhetorical question. but the other obvious question, why isn't weeding their own garden any part of the B.L.M. propaganda barrage? .......... that is not a rhetorical question. and that will be the beginning of the "honest conversation" that the black media world is always claiming we need desperately.

What is "black crime"? Are you actually racializing crime? That's racist.

Another pathetic attempt of a racist to turn a conversation that has nothing to do with racism into a racist narrative so that it can take an opportunity to say negative things about black people.

@redbai black crime is where you come out ahead ( like Cosby ) red crime is when you come out loosing

@redbai yeah we established on another post that he's racist trash.

@redbai .....black crime is crime committed by blacks. white crime is crime committed by whites. comparing the two would be a partial description of what used to be called crime statistics. but now "some lobby" has fixed it so the media never even mentions such statistics. you wouldnt know anything about that ...... would you? can you spell O B F U S C A T I O N? ............. do you have anything in your thought - quiver besides name calling?

@holdenc98 I haven't heard a good reason to separate crime statistics by race.

@NHwoodsman That just sounds like an ignorant opinion reaching for racist reasons to differentiate crime statistics.

@JonnaBononna ...to bononno...... ah , there it is. the magic word "racist" and then "trash" thrown in for good measure. no need to think or deal with a thought. just say the magic word and try to stiffle what you don't have the courage to look at ......who exactly is "we" and why is it so important to you to be among them?

@JonnaBononna, @redbai ...... TO REDBAI ....... you say im a "Racist" for saying that blacks commit hugely disproportunate crme.....you say that out of one side of your mouth. you are the lord of truth, your "racist" scepter strikes down what is known by all but now cannot any longer be said. but out the other side of your mouth you take all the special poverty programs (hand- in -my- pocket charity) you can get. the scatter site housing, the medicade, the affirmative action everything, and on and on with no end in sight, all justified by "differentiating" blacks into "the community". you should go into vaudville. the magical two faced man.

@holdenc98 I didn't say you were racist for saying "that blacks commit hugely disproportunate crme". The fact that you brought race into a subject that has nothing to do with race just to make that statement makes you racist.

I know that's very nuanced so you probably won't understand it any more than you understand the need to pay attention to a spell check tool. But others may read this and I just wanted to make it clear why I think you're a racist.

@redbai ....i really couldnt care less what fuels your demented "racist" engine. go sell it to N.P.R.

POPE RACIST THE FIRST

@holdenc98 Then it's a good thing that I didn't put it there for you, as I said in my previous post.

poke->

@redbai .......IM RUBBER , YOURE GLUE. WHATEVER YOU SAY ..... bounces right off of me and sticks back on to you..............

(sotto vocie) jackass says "what?"

@holdenc98 poke->

When I think of all those years I spent in collidge...

pl;ease come out from behind your cabbage leaf. who knows, maybe your smart. cryptic is ok for the crista tippit show. here, its "wheres the beef?"

@holdenc98 David, I have no idea what you just wrote to me.

@mischl ...try waking up.

@holdenc98 That sounds snotty and passive aggressive.

While I'm sure there are lots of informative clues , there are also lots bits of information that have nothing to do with any given crime , and can be very misleading . It boils down to convicting the correct person(s) for any given crime . It also requires that clues be thoroughly investigated because in many cases crimes over lap . Rapists , for instance , seldom simply rape a single woman and never do that again . They're frequently serial rapists . Likewise , a person who had murdered someone , seldom leaves it at one person . Now that the Genetic files are expanding through folks who happily pay for the privelidge of getting the results of DNA testing and the law enforcement groups have access to those records , genetic traits can be traced through family relations , even if the guilty party is not in any of the data bases .

Or maybe the police have never been pressured to change their procedures and thus never came up with a better way of solving crimes. Maybe they aren't convicting the right people because they aren't catching the right people. They have no reason to be better because no one expects them to do any better.

Ever seen The Big Short?
my guess is that that movie maybe goes a ways towards splaining at least one of the root problems

Saw it. Don't see the connection but it may be because I don't remember some detail.

@redbai well, another analogy is prolly anyone who has heard a cop say "that's a civil matter," but the broad point there is that cops do not have to protect or serve anything they are not inclined to

@bbyrd009
If they see an easy case, they solve it and wait for promotion.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606602
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.