Agnostic.com

213 30

QUESTION What would you say to God if when you died you were faced with him?

This question was asked to Stephen Fry and I love his answer. So I ask you what would you say?

• Click description above to see Stephen Fry's answer*

To answer my own question I suppose I would be more logical and tell God it was his fault I did not believe in him because if he created me then he knows I would not blindly follow anything that reads like a fairytale or where there was no proof of existence.

DiablitaRoja 4 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

213 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How could I be faced with anything when I die? My long time religious friend from childhood days says one day I'm gonna wake up in a place where I do not want to be. How can a dead person wake up? Yes, death is compared to sleep but what else would ancient goat herders compare it to? Look at the cultures over time that talk of something after death and not a one of them with any proof whatsoever.

Because everyone's version of God is a reflection of their own self image, I would probably have to tell him how his physical attractiveness is only surpassed by his intellectual brilliance. Then I would complement him on his immense modesty in the face of obvious divine perfection. Of course.

Why in the bleep should I be blamed for stuff some a did thousands of years ago. Thinking about that explain to me why curiosity and knowledge is bad? Furthermore killing children? Really? With how much of an a you are I certainly don't want to be here with you! Continue ranting for years and years

"you gave some really shitty evidence for your existence" followed by " you really kind of screwed this whole thing up, didn't you?"

Since the odds of this meeting taking place are 1 in 100's of thousands/ millions, I won't be spending any time writing or rehearsing a speech. I'll just wing it, IF I get there

twill Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

I think you overestimate the likelihood. More like 0 out of infinity.

Uh oh. LOL

I met him on mesacline !! When you meet "god" you don't talk you sit there in awe completely mindblown..

I know it was the mescal... but I also KNOW I met god (or what people think of as that). You don't have to talk to god he already knows lol ;😉 I can't possibly explain myself and probably this sounds pretty much like gibberish lmfao. Which is normal for me.

When he opened his mouth it was everyone who had ever lived and died.. plus the others not yet born all whispering, "everything is going to be okay", in a loving way ... I mean what do you do with that LMAO!!

So if you can talk you will be doing really well 🙂 top question.. suppose if I could talk I would have asked him,

1. Where do all the odd socks go ? 3. 2. IF you ever make another Trump can he have a bigger penis?

2. Why do cats knock things over!?

Damn! This acid is GOOD!

So...Where is the Bar and what time is Happy Hour???

If I were dead, I would "be" in no position for discussion of any kind!

Athos Level 5 Apr 24, 2018

This is a tough one, one of the questions might be ,why such much inconsistency?

i would go the steven frye route, cancer in children? really what's that about?

God, should he or she be real would have a lot to answer for! Just the latter half of the twentith century could be grounds for genocide laws to take him/her down.

BillF Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

Many years ago my neighborhood was plagued by people of faith walking around and knocking on doors trying to convince other people to join whatever particular religion /sect they professed to be true.

When they came to my house I listened to them for about 5 minutes. Then I asked them, "Ok, so let me see if I got this right. Even if I am a good person, treat others well and live truly by a moral code, unless I accept your god as my personal savior, I will spent eternity, after I die, in hell?"

They nodded yes.

"And, all those righteous people who lived before your religion was invented/discovered, and all those people who've lived since then but never heard of your religion or had an opportunity to accept it, they too are going to spend eternity in hell?"

They nodded yes.

I took a breath and said, "I would rather spend eternity burning in the everlasting fires of hell then to spend two seconds in heaven with your mean and spiteful god."

They left and never bothered me again.

Hello

Define God

It's just a hypothetical. Use your imagination. What would you say?

@BlueWave Stephen is using the Christian God as the God Model, in particular the Christian God as dictated by the Church of England in which he was raised.
That does not match other Christian God Models, that is why there are so many sects, they disagree about either the nature of God, the definition of God, or the acts God would undertake.

I do not believe in any God, and frankly I spent long enough learning about these Models for God, while thinking one of them MUST be true, that when it dawned on me they all lacked real evidence, all relied on emotional and mental states of mind, and all shared the common trait of originating from human societies who could not make sesne of the reality they found themselves in, that I came to understand no one believes in the same God.

It's a Personal "Imagned" God.
Your own personal Jesus

Since then, thirty years or so ago, I do not "use my imagination", because then I am imagining with all my bias intact, and that won't agree with all the bias and ideas YOU have intact.
Your model of God and Mine will not match UNLESS we first agree upon WHAT that is, otherwise your just playing in the wake of a deepity.

I will saying nothing to God. And I believe God will also say nothing to me.

I would say, " So, which one of the 3,500 or more Gods that people have dreamt up are you, or are you another God entirely, and why didn't you stop them from killing Sharon Tate, not to mention all the other atrocities that happened in human history, many in your name, and what have you got to say for yourself, M-Fer?"

I figure if I'm going to be damned, I'm going down swingin'

Pretty lousy job you're doing.

What were you thinking with ticks? and misquitos? why? what about lyme disease and Zika? I mean, I just don't get that.

I agree with Frye's comments in this video. If god was such a great guy why all the suffering on Earth? And then he has the gall to expect us to worship him? Fuck that shit!

JK666 Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

Him???? I plan to be dead when I have died. None o this magical thinking . I reserve my magical thinking for elves, fairies and dragons. This gives me a chance to post my favorite quote:
“Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”

Meeting "God!?" I won't hold my breath. Or for that other mythological fantasy, "Satan."

But, let's say you're playing "make believe." Could you come up with something for pretend?

Why are so many bad people allowed to run rampant?

Where's my two dollars?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.