Agnostic.com

11 11

LINK 26 People Share What Made Them Stop Being Religious

Such as...

"Being kicked out of Christian school prior to the third grade because my mom bought the wrong edition of the Bible."

snytiger6 9 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your presumption seems to be that people are religious first before becoming agnostic or atheist.
I went to Sunday school from the age of 5 to 14 but I was never religious .I t was just something I had to do and I disliked it intensely. it spoiled most Sundays.
My sons were brought up without any religious influence at all. It was something that other people did. They and most of their friends are mostly the same. It is just something that other people do and is of no interest to them.

Numbers 3, 8, 14, 15, 19, 24, 25 resonate with me.

And I would add that I noticed a strong tendency for Christians to enjoy punnishing others, even though that is not at all what Jesus is claimed to have preached (though it is in line with the God in the Old Testament, which Christians say no longer has relevance since the advent of Jesus).

I have a religious friend that has been kicked out of 2 churches and still believes in the bs. I won't air his dirty laundry here, but it's 2 faced religion at it's finest.

Amazing, just amazing what church people getaway with.

It started when I began to realize that the concept of prayer was so ridiculous and made absolutely no sense or logic.I questioned the belief that god gave humans free will and that this was the reason they are capable of evil actions etc.Common sense told me at a young age that a god would not give free will to humans due to being aware of the consequences.

If you really get into the whole truth of the nonsense, the only allowed prayers are those in praise of god. All others "asking for stuff" are a damnable sin as they are "taking up the Lord's name in vane." The reason these prayers are in vane and a sin is because god has a perfect plan, but now you are telling him he obviously has made a mistake.

When I found out the Easter bunny was hiding chicken eggs.

I got angry when god didn't bring me a pony. Maybe that was Santa Claus, IDK.

Nope, none of them covered my 'epiphany.'

I had many epiphanies.

@Reignmond For me it only took one. I grew up in a Catholic household but the religion was never pushed on us and it remained benign in it's affect on my life until one pivotal moment.

Fortunately, neither of my parents showed any interest in religion. On Sunday when most people were at church I was either in a local park or sitting on the bank of a river with my fishing rod.

For me it was figuring out Santa Claus and the tooth fairy didn't exist, and I decided it was a similar type of lie.

I’m quite sure these are all SIMILAR to the reasons many on here experienced, myself included.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:660818
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.