Agnostic.com

126 10

Is it OK to be racist against white people?

Using the Merriam-Webster definition of racism,

racism
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

You CAN be racist against white people but is it OK?
Is it OK to tell an entire race they need to atone for the actions of their ancestors?
Is it OK to tell an entire race they are racist simply because of their race?
Is it OK to blame an entire race on the actions of 2 people?
Is it OK to purposely tell your kids to not trust an entire race?

Sadly I doubt I'll get many honest answers because it's not PC to you think racism is OK as long as those your racist against are white. But hope springs eternal.

• 13 votes
  • 186 votes
MamaMOB 5 Apr 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

126 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Racism is NEVER okay! Ever!

ballou Level 8 July 17, 2019

Be proud of who and what you are, whatever that may be. It is okay to be white.

Are you harassed for being white? What is the point of these questions?

These questions are more loaded than the new Taco Bell loaded burrito. And I especially liked the part of if people disagree with her they are just not being honest... The discussion goes much deeper than these shallow questions

My opinion is that it's not ok to be racist towards any person or race. Sadly, since the white race perpetrated the most well-known racism on earth, they (we, I'm Caucasian) now seem to be fair game for reverse racism. The answers to all of your questions above is no, of course. The reality, however, is that American society is well-conditioned to attack any pro-white conversation. Personally, I feel that any time race is a factor at all, whether it is positive or negative in nature, it's racism. Affirmative Action and racial quotas is racism. The NAACP is a racist organization. Even when done with the best of intentions, it's racism. We celebrate Black History Month during February. Imagine the outcry if anyone suggested White History Month. I get it, but just making a point here. In schools and large businesses, there are often cultural/Ethnicity-based clubs. Again, imagine the outcry if Caucasian-based clubs were suggested. I wish we could celebrate cultural diversity without any taint of race.

@michaelinlivonia We're all entitled to our opinions. I can't believe you practically just called me a Nazi tho.

@michaelinlivonia I AM German, and no, you are twisting things here. You are applying inapplicable context to my comments. I answered the question in the spirit in which it was asked.

No, it is never ok to be racist against anybody.

??‍♀️ I don’t even know where to begin...

Essie Level 6 Feb 17, 2019

Me either. Truly, I just can not pick a place to start.

No. Get to know each person, I am very confident that you will find real reasons to hate someone other than their race, there are a lot of assholes out there. Race has nothing to do with it.

Way to go !! Cashing points like crazy !!!

Everyone is the same color when there is a blackout

Is it ok to discriminate against tall people? They have ALL the advantages--getting things off the top shelf, everyone looking up to them, instant high-altitude weather forecasts--and yet they still have the gall to complain. "Oh, my head hurts because I keep hitting it on the door frame." Please! "Oh, my back hurts because I'm too tall and not short like everyone else!"

I say we build a really, really tall wall to keep them all out. Some of us short people might like a job as a professional basketball player, you know. Jobs jobs jobs!

Are adults really debating this?

Only if you are white.

White is a colour, not a race. Hating "white" people is bigotry, not racism.

first of all, there is no such thing as pc. it's just a phrase concocted by people who can't understand why other people would be nice to still other people without some ulterior motive... as if everyone would casually use the "n" word unless someone was around to tell them not to. it's a little bit like being good because there's a god. or to put it more succinctly, fuck pc.

second of all, not everything you mentioned is racist. let's go through that list.

You CAN be racist against white people but is it OK?

racism is not okay.

Is it OK to tell an entire race they need to atone for the actions of their ancestors?

no, it wouldn't be, but it might be appropriate to tell the powers that be (and guess what race that mostly represents, right?) that something needs to be done to 1. stop the actions that are STILL CONTINUING even if in a slightly different form and 2. give some kind of compensation -- not atonement, but compensation -- for even the past actions, if they were dreadful and had long-lasting consequences. we are STILL feeling the consequences of the slavery of kidnapped africans. "well, i didn't personally do it, so fuck you" is not appropriate.

Is it OK to tell an entire race they are racist simply because of their race?

no, but who's doing that? if you think that's what protesting against racism is, then you don't understand the situation at all. asking that question implies that thought.

Is it OK to blame an entire race on the actions of 2 people?

which two people? i don't understand who would be doing this. this doesn't relate to any reality of which i am aware, and i DO pay close attention. asking this question implies that this is an actual issue.

Is it OK to purposely tell your kids to not trust an entire race?

no, but it IS okay to purposely tell your kids how to survive an untrustworthy system that is skewed toward an entire other race. it would not be okay NOT to do so because the kids might be harmed or killed otherwise. i have heard repeatedly from black parents that they had to sit their kids down and explain how not to be shot by white cops. should they have to do that? of course not! but they DO have to do that! so it's not just okay, it's necessary! and it's not the same thing as telling kids not to trust a whole race.

g

@genessa I applaud you.

@michaelinlivonia got sources for those suspicious-sounding stats?

g

@michaelinlivonia take advantage of free education? here are more questions about that. 1. did you know that black kids are more likely than white kids to be suspended from school even for the same reasons? if i were continually suspended from school i might drop out too. 2. do the stats mention WHY the kids drop out? that could make a difference. (sometimes the kids are needed at home.) 3. sometimes the "free" education doesn't include fees the family can't afford, uniforms, etc. sometimes the "free" education includes being bullied. 4. re single parents -- you do know that a good deal of that has to do with the unfairly skewed incarceration of black men? it's not because black people are more likely to divorce, for example. black men are incarcerated for crimes white men either get probation for, or get less time for. instant single mom family. there's more but it's nap time for me.

g

@michaelinlivonia black people are incarcerated as criminals whether they are criminals or not, and incarcerated for minor crimes that do not call for incarceration. your argument has big, big holes in it. your experience is valid... for you, but small samples don't count for much outside of biographical interest. i am not making excuses. i am bringing up legitimate issues. how about we stop considering black people who smoke marijuana dangerous criminals and giving white rapists a pass?

g

Racism is not okay against ANY race!

Racism is not OK, not even against white people

Yes in recent history a few white people have created tremendous hardship and cruelty towards people they perceived as different and inferior to them.

To turn around and hate all white people and discriminate against them for this is exactly the same as the original hatred and discrimination. It also ignores the fact that Many white people have also fallen into the Category of being discriminated against marginalized and abused
(my own father was Irish Catholic and Grew up in Northern Ireland in the 1940’s and 50’s, and no I am not comparing his hardship to slaves, just pointing out that even if you look the same, the ruling class will treat you like shit for completely arbitrary reasons)

Racism is something invented by the Rich to distract the poor and direct their hatred away from the Rich and toward any other recipient.

To the ruling class there is very little difference between a black/minority poor person and a white poor person, Dr King actually recognized this and spoke about it.

All the while the working class, the poor, the non rulers, are distracted by petty ridiculous conflict we don’t notice as they rob us blind, and destroy our planet, the only home we have, all in the name of accumulating more useless wealth

The Rich are not Racists, that foolishness is just something they try to get us to believe to keep us distracted

Being Racist against white people only plays into the hands of the hateful few who are attempting and succeeding in enslaving us all

Racism is racism, no matter who the target is. It is unethical and disrespectful.

It's not "OK" to be racist towards anyone.
Although, as a white person, I can see why many others would be racist toward
white people. There are STILL many, who are white, who believe they are superior
to all other races. Their behavior has always shown that they are not.
White people have historically treated everyone who isn't them like shit.
Lots of them still do.
I can appreciate other races believing turnabout would be fair play.
That would be typical of human nature.

You have described the basis of white racism nicely.

@jlynn37 Thanks. I take no pleasure in it.
It hurts my heart that white people have behaved as we have, and still do.

@KKGator I totally agree. After learning of the atrocities and inhumanities throughout history that whites have perpetrated on others simply because of skin color, perceived class, perceived inferiority and I am sure there are other factors, I sometimes feel that we whites are nonredeemable.

@jlynn37 Agreed. It's not even self-loathing, as so many conservatives like to call it. It's just the sheer disgust at behavior so abhorrent, so vile, that the only reasonable reaction is to be ashamed. What makes it so much worse is that it's STILL happening. White people STILL demonize blacks, and others.
Institutional, and systemic racism, is STILL alive and well, and those who help to perpetuate it insist it's the fault of those being discriminated against.
It's like the ultimate case of gas-lighting.

@saganian I'm not a liberal, and I don't have "guilt". I just accept the facts of history, and acknowledge the truth of what white people have done throughout history.
If you want to live in denial, knock yourself out.
Don't fucking tell me what to do, or how to feel, about anything.

Strange question.Is this aimed at non caucasian people only.

Well, if you go back in time, develop technology in other culture, then colonize europe as this culture will have the big guns. Put the beauty standard as other kind of ethnicity, develop myths and prejudices that will cause SYSTEMATIC harm to white people, invade their country, treat them as savages for centuries, keep their countries unstable and criticize when they try to flee from there (I don't see the spanish, irish, germans, italians etc treated as north africans or middle easterns are treated now when they flee their war destroyed countries), Isolate them on guetos, give less money for the schools on their area, arrest more for less harmfull crimes, create a culture when some white climb on a bus and everyone hold their purses and bags tighter.... Then we can talk about racism against white.

Of course in MICRO environments where whites are stripped out of power positions they can feel a piece of the harm that other ethnicities feel almost all the time. But in most of cases they can just walk away and it is over.

My question is which definition of racism do you use, the one that combines it with other word meanings like bigotry, prejudice, ignorance, discrimination, hatefulness? Or do we accept the one that fits it's meaning more closely without political/social bias? The belief that one's race/ethnicity is superior to another and having the (economic/political/ social) "power" or clout to systematically enforce or coerce those ideas? Without "power" racism has a different meaning ie: the previous social political bias... Ask yourself, in the final appeals in the U.S., do non Whites have the final decisions?

Until we treat all humans as humans and not as black, white, jew, or arab, we shall remain racist. ANy organisation of any kind that promotes to growth for, or offers benefits to, one group and denies them to others can only succeed in prepetuating racism.

When you make any kind of prejudice against any race whatsoever, it's a form of racism and no it's not okay. The only way to truly treat racism is to quit giving it power and relevance. When we start to realize that we're all individuals then perhaps race will lose its ground. I think racism is an ancient construct of thought long ago programmed into our minds and we're still on the same global maturity level as our ancestors. We've been focusing too much on national and tribal superiority that our general social connectivity to one another is so far broken that not even those who once had this sense of tribal pride are even to follow their own. They've started to hate what they are just because of a misconception ingrained into their minds, birthed through ignorance and petulance.

It would be more accurate to ask if it is okay for people to be prejudiced.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:70457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.