Agnostic.com

15 16

LINK Former President Jimmy Carter to begin receiving hospice care at home following hospitalizations

Story by Alana Satlin and Phil McCausland • 1h ago

Former President Jimmy Carter will begin receiving hospice care at home following a series of hospital stays, his foundation said in a statement on Saturday.

"After a series of short hospital stays, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention," the statement said. "He has the full support of his family and his medical team. The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers."

The Carter Center did not provide details on his recent hospitalizations. His grandson, Jason Carter, said in a tweet that, "I saw both of my grandparents yesterday. They are at peace and—as always—their home is full of love. Thank you all for your kind words."

President Joe Biden was made aware of Carter's decision to begin hospice care and the White House is in touch with the Carter family and close advisers, according to a White House official.

Carter, 98, is the oldest living former American president and the first American president born in a hospital. He was diagnosed with cancer in Aug. 2015 — melanoma that had spread to his liver and brain — but was later declared cancer-free. In 2019, he also suffered a black eye in a fall and was later hospitalized with a fractured pelvis due to a separate fall.

“I, obviously, prayed about it. I didn’t ask God to let me live, but I just asked God to give me a proper attitude toward death. And I found that I was absolutely and completely at ease with death. It didn’t really matter to me whether I died or lived," Carter said, according to CBS News. “I have, since that time, been absolutely confident that my Christian faith includes complete confidence in life after death. So, I’m going to live again after I die — Don’t know what form I’ll take, or anything.”

The Georgia native, a Democrat, was elected the 39th president in 1976, defeating Republican President Gerald Ford in the aftermath of the Watergate scandal. He served one term, losing in 1980 to Ronald Reagan.

Carter was recognized after his presidency for his tireless work promoting peaceful resolutions to conflict and to advance democracy, human rights and social justice, primarily through the Carter Center, which he and the former first lady established at Emory University in Atlanta in 1982.

He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 “for his decades of untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts” and his “outstanding commitment to human rights.”

This article was originally published on NBCNews.com

HippieChick58 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He is a truly unique and gifted man. He never got the credit he deserved, and the world will be a sad place when he leaves us. I hope his last days are filled with love and appreciation for the wonderful man he is.

Proud to say I'm distantly related. (I'm one of Rosalyn's third cousins). History will see him as a much greater President than he ever got credit for. Also, the only one who actually lived by the "christian" rules they espouse.

The best US President in my lifetime, that he was considered to be weak and unworthy by so many Americans is just proof of how sick the once great nation of the USA has become. Trump doesn't deserve to bring a man like this a handful of nails on a Habitat for Humanity project, not that it would ever happen.

I got to go to one of his book signings a while back. He exuded peace. His like will be a long time in finding someone to compare. May he be comfortable and well looked after in his final days.

He's one of those people I wish I'd known. Always decent, kind and the living example of a ''good'' xtian.

He was too decent for the role of POTUS

Carter has had an excellent run.
He's earned his rest.

I voted for him twice. He was everything the religious right should have wanted. A southerner, military education at the USN Academy, a military vet on submarines, a farmer, married to one woman for over 70 years, and a born again Christian. But no, Reagan and Trump are their guys. He walked the walk and I respected that.

It's almost as if their proclaimed values are just humbug.

It is hard to imagine what Jimmy Carter has done and has been through medically at his advanced age.

Jimmy Carter is definitely the best former president of my lifetimes.

"Best" in this case is defined by what a president does after they leave office.

😔 😟...he's done more than any living former president in helping his fellow citizens world wide..

A man of peace. Decicated to service for others.

His presidency was plagued with bad luck and he never got enough credit IMHO. He rocked the post-presidency though. 😎👍

Sad to read this. Was hoping he would have longer. Still he has achieved much and made positive changes.

It should be 45, not Carter

Sweed Level 4 Feb 19, 2023

45 should be in a nursing home right now with every attendant warned that he is trying to escape.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:710386
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.