Agnostic.com

42 2

MEN ONLY: What is your race/ethnic origin?

MEN ONLY PLEASE
(Women's survey found here WOMEN ONLY: What is your race/ethnic origin? )

What is your race/ethnic origin?

(Answers based on USA Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964 employment non-discrimination questionnaire)

• 56 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 2 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 17 votes
TheMiddleWay 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments (26 - 42)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Although this makes for an interesting survey this is two questions as academically I think you will find that race and ethnicity are different. Race is physical and ethnicity is cultural. It will return confused data to analyse unless the two terms are separated

@TheMiddleWay The difficultly is if you ask the ethnicity of third generation Indian, Hispanic or Anglo-Celtic Americans what they relate to culturally. Most likely the same but racial they are different due to physicality.

@TheMiddleWay sounds like an interesting study. ? Good luck

Our kind has populated this planet for many thousands, many tens of thousands of years. Most of us aren't able to name all eight of our great grandparents and certainly not all 16 great great grandparents and that only covers about, generously, 150 years. MIx into this The adopted orphans/waifs commonly taken-in by our more naturally loving ancestors and a few gardeners, house servants, secret lovers and flexible landlords and nobody really knows what their ethnic heritage is, because it is more and less based on myth.

So, wherever our ancestors originated chances are the more than 1,000 direct parental contributors to our personal 'ethnicity' about 500 years ago; its a pretty safe bet that they weren't all of any one ethnic or racial group. That is one of the things revealed by the recent availability of DNA evaluation and even it has it's limitations. Some people look at their face in a mirror and really believe skin pigmentation defines their race and surnames of parents symbolize ethnicity. Before 'ethnicity' as we know it existed, even it was formed by ancient migrations and assimilations of earlier, many earlier 'ethnicities' and races; not by a paltry couple or three thousand years, but tens of thousands of migrating and environmental changing ages. Ethnicity was born yesterday.

That’s racist

I'm a European mutt with a dash of Native American. I judge more on intelligence and music taste.

Human before all.
My ancestors left France to settle in North America nearly 400 years ago. My mother is from Berthierville, Quebec. My father is a New Brunswick Acadian from the Caraquet area. I was born in Montreal.

@TheMiddleWay True

So not all white men follow slavishly the ruling party and its propaganda. That’s encouraging. Really

Human.

@TheMiddleWay Human is "Other" and also my official answer to the US census. The subject of racial and ethnic classifications is steeped in corrupt entitlement politics, and it surprises me that someone of your great personal accomplishments is so obsessed by it.

I am reminded of the example of the late great colonial administrator of Hong Kong, Sir John James Cowperthwaite. He refused to compile GDP statistics arguing that such data was not useful to managing an economy and would lead to officials meddling in the economy. He was once been asked what the key thing that poor countries could do to improve their growth. He replied: “they should abolish the office of national statistics.” I feel the same about data about race and ethnic origins; we are much better off without it.

@TheMiddleWay "great personal accomplishments" referred to your accomplishments in physics, not this topic. "obsessed" is my own perhaps overstatement, since you have posted on this topic more than once.

This "community", if one can call it that, is dramatically skewed in a number of ways. It seems to me that there are far more atheists than agnostics, and far more people on the political left than the right. I haven't taken a survey but it seems to me that the average age of participants is over 50. And probably there are more Americans than other nationalities participating. All of those community statistical characteristics are noteworthy, but do not call for remedial action.

And neither is the ethnic or racial characteristics of the people participating here a fit subject for any remedial action, which I have seen suggested, although not yet by you. If people of any race or ethnic group want to participate they are welcome, and if they don't want to participate they are also free to make that choice.

So it seems surprising to me that you think that a person's race or ethnic classification is important enough to spend your very valuable time investigating, as though it were an important defining characteristic of a person, instead of a minor accident of birth.

Why?

...I started marking other in the last 10
years-mainly because they are vastly different
TODAY then 10 years ago.-i've been honest to a
fault in all government dealings-now the forms
are maliciously impossible to fill out.No joke.

What is the purpose of this 'poll'?

Ethnic Cracker.

Only in ameriKKKa.

Human race.

"White" is not a descriptive ethnic origin. My ancestors were, Norman (Brit), Swedish, Danish, and Polish. Each has its own customs and languages. So, I am made up of three (if you lump Swedish and Danish together...both damned Vikings), separate ethnic groups, the Slavs, Normans who invaded England from Northern France and the Vikings who instilled my mother with a love for cream-based cooking as in Swedish Meat Balls and cream sauce (disgusting!) instead of tomato based stuffed cabbages. But, the polish cooking on my father's side was not much better (cream/milk/sour cream instead of tomatoes).

Why the hell do you want to know that?

@TheMiddleWay duh. Didn't answer the question: why the hell do you want this information?

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns

If it's non-discrimatory, why ask what race anybody is?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96332
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.