Agnostic.com
6 6

True intimacy is a human constant. People of all types find it equally hard to achieve, equally precious to hold. Age, education, social status, make little difference here; even genius does not presuppose the talent to reveal one’s self completely and completely absorb one’s self in another personality. Intimacy is to love what concentration is to work: a simultaneous drawing together to attention and release of energy.

Joebenson017 4 July 18
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Equally hard to achieve? That's obviously false.
I don't know about the rest of this stuff.

BitFlipper Level 8 July 19, 2020

I am not "absorbing" anybody, nor allowing them to absorb me....are you like, 15?

AnneWimsey Level 9 July 19, 2020

this too much to think about on a Saturday PM

TheDoubter Level 9 July 18, 2020

If intimacy is hard to achieve, what do all these things mean? I hear it all the time

Is this not intimacy? Seems like it happens to many people and rather easily. Are these in vain?

1. We are in so much love
  2. We are just like twins, we match so perfectly
  3. We are crazy about each other
  4. We cannot live without each other, I'll die without him
  5. He is the prince of dreams, or she is the princess of dreams
  6. I cherish you
  7. I want a lifetime with you
  8. I cannot stop thinking about you
  9. My love for you is eternal
  10. I just wouldn't feel complete without you.
  11. You are my treasure, the most precious thing in my life
  12. You are my soulmate
  13. In all my life, I never believed I'd find a love like yours
  14. You're just like a fine wine...my eyes could drink you in all night
  15. Nothing else matters but us together forever, nothing!
  16. I just want to be in your arms forever, and let the world drift away
  17. We are inseparable

I can understand that this may not be intimacy:

1. I made you tacos
  2. I don't need any dessert, I have you

Intimacy only means personal closeness. Nothing more. I have heard wild definitions of intimacy from people here that go beyond romantic novels and fairy tales. Btw, trust is not important to have intimacy. Passion can and does override the lack of it for many people. Trust is just some people's own definition.

St-Sinner Level 9 July 18, 2020

“True intimacy is a human constant.”

I have had little to no intimacy for the better part of 3 years.

I may be missing your point but I see no “constant”.

Davekp Level 8 July 18, 2020

@Allamanda He said true intimacy is a constant. It isn't. It is dependent on having another to be intimate with. There are many solo, lonely people on this site, as an example. He didn't say the NEED for true intimacy is constant. That would have been a very different statement.

But 2 points.. 1) Why would you assume I am talking about sex? And.. 2) why are you assuming you know what he is thinking enough to answer for him?

@Allamanda Do you think being like that helps with the need for true intimacy of the constant type?

@Allamanda Nice deflection. Lol 🙂

My point was about the word constant.. not intimacy.

@Allamanda Irony? I worked all day.. no brain for irony.

@Allamanda I see. Thank you for the clarification. I can sleep now.

Intimacy means different things to different people, but to me intimacy is a meeting of minds in a very personal way. When I can trust my partner wholly and completely with my deepest darkest secrets and know that he will understand and vice versa. It has nothing to do with sex, it is mental and emotional.

@Allamanda I did not read thoroughly, I have a distraction today, grandchild visiting. I will edit, thank you!

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 47

Photos 164 More

Posted by UnitySomeday my princess will appear before me. ❤️

Posted by AtheistPeace666Hello I'm a single Canuck looking for my special lady Canuck.

Posted by KhaCRYou ever feel like you found the perfect sexual partner then he turns out to be a complete 💩bag and you can’t find the satisfaction in other encounters?

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by KateOahuYes, I agree that the reverse is also true.

Posted by JolantaThis is what women have to put up with and then they want to be intimate while we are still angry because they will not do their share of housework.

Posted by JolantaDucky, Snookums....

Posted by SorchaThis is a guy I was talking to from okcupid. He is totally new to online dating and it shows.

Posted by JolantaThat’s Amore. Some women are just far too shallow.

Posted by JolantaSomething for real intimacy perhaps.

Posted by Green_Soldier71Has anyone here had any experience with (or known someone who has/had) a SEXLESS MARRIAGE/RELATIONSHIP or a FRIGID PARTNER?

Posted by EyesThatSmileNakedness.

Posted by LetzGetRealMy family has often commented how I should become a "cougar"... as I look pretty good at my age and have a younger mindset than some of my peers, I guess this is there rationale?

Posted by Ann-1980The 4 types of Intimacy to feel sufficient, satisfied & healing in a love relationship.

Posted by Philip21over the top thinking? [agnostic.com]

• Top tags#relationship #sex #intimacy #video #friends #religious #hope #religion #world #god #children #wife #marriage #book #kids #advice #death #reason #agnostic #beliefs #Atheist #hell #money #society #movies #fear #hello #Present #parents #belief #loves #Song #community #lonely #books #divorce #culture #humans #dogs #sleep #chemistry #Christian #college #soul #animals #sexy #philosophy #holiday #DonaldTrump #sexuality ...

Members 1,849Top