Agnostic.com
6 3

What is Intimacy?

I honestly don't know what it is.. or put another way, I really don't think I've ever experienced it in my life.
Today I am one month five days from almost dieing from congestive heart failure. While I'm on the mend now and seeing positive hearth and bodily improvement. I'm guilty of working too damn hard and not appreciating the needs of my physical body in addition to my mind and drive. Now as I struggle to find meaning and a stable income. I question my very course in life, have I been going about some aspects as a detriment to enjoying life?

I'm still plagued by the fact that I "gave up" with dating some 20 years ago.

The last relationship I had ended without an argument or big blow out. No screaming or throwing of personal items. I didn't even talk or look at her the last time we met. I tried to explain the stress I was under and that I needed help. She simply stopped communicating and or agreeing to meet. Prior to this I'd had only five other "relationships" and maybe 10 one time dates.. all of which felt like I was someone's hopeful sugar daddy... with demands, a checklist of purchases and like I was running through some kind of gauntlet where I was being judged for every action I got right or wrong. In the end such "relationships" felt very transactional (and very depleting for my pocketbook) and many of them simply expected their good looks to overcome their clear lack of emotional and or intellectual depth.

The competing dynamics of emotional relationships and physical intimacy have always confused me. And at no point in my life has both the mental and the physical aligned. Getting back to my point, I am wrestled with my mortality and endeavor to work toward another 50+ years in this existence (until I am digitized or augmented).

I'd just like to understand this thing, called intimacy.
Or more exactly experience it with others..

Having lived alone for so long and sure, I've learned to love myself and enjoy activities on my own. So much so, that I'm rather ignorant or perhaps a better way of putting it, oblivious when someone shows interest in me. Since college, I just assume no one is interested... and I don't even respond to a person's advances.. I'm working on this of course and learning to be more accommodating and tactful when conversing.

The flip side is also true. Simply being courteous and respectful has resulted in some people thinking I'm coming on to them.. Some respond in kind or flat out proclaim they are already in a relationship, or married, or gay.. what have you.

I just shrug. I can't understand others in this regard. So I'll just keep being who I am.
But is that just playing it safe?
I just don't understand.

RobertFoley 6 Aug 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am sorry that you have never experienced it. It’s the best thing. A big part of your problem may be that you have gone for “good” looks.

Jolanta Level 9 Aug 12, 2020

Natural intimacy and love comes from the heart

MightyMax Level 4 Aug 11, 2020

First, sorry to hear about your health issues and glad you are getting better. Good luck and stay away from the anti-mask crowd.

I mirror @demifeminist's input in that you lead with appearance and the desire for "stuff"; I imagine you have had some degree of financial success. As she says, if that is what attracts you, shallow is likely. It is sadly common, good looks or not.

Trite though it may sound, learn to love, like, and respect yourself. You will never be alone. If you don't have that, no one can give you what you are seeking, as there is nothing to build on.

A great relationship should be hard to find; witness most of those that we all observe: on rare occasions you say "I want that", a much larger number are OK, but just that, and to me frankly there are a huge number, easily the majority, that speak to "why are they together?" It is indeed purely transactional.

There are two traits I look for in a person I will consider for a relationship:
-Uncommonly high intelligence. This is not elitist in that I don't judge people for how they are and not all are gifted, but if I am choosing someone to spend time with me to the exclusion of others, then yes, I am highly selective on this measure.
-They seek the right answer, rather than seek to be right. You will never argue (that doesn't mean you might not get upset with each other) and constantly learn.

I once went through a mental exercise of determining what percentage of the population would be in my target pool. The screens were checklists, guidelines with flexibility such as age, education, beliefs, etc. I determined the pool was less than 1% of the population. This is as it should be, if you are considering the person as a life partner.

FWIW, I had one of those "I want that" relationships, for seven years. It is worth holding out for. It was a real heaven, right here on earth.

Love you, refine your targeting to emphasize what you have been missing, good luck.

Mitch07102 Level 8 Aug 10, 2020

Hey man, your situation is even worse than mine, and that's saying something. At least I haven't had any near-death experiences.

Now that I've read your post again you seem to be very much like me. I haven't had a "relationship" for almost 20 years. There are 2 women who willing to spend time with me occasionally, but there's no intimacy. I don't think either of them actually likes me - they each want to eat and return home. I go through this because I'm afraid - if I don't - I'll fall off the edge socially and lose whatever social skills I still have.

Like you, I handle social interactions carefully. If I meet a woman I find attractive I do my best to keep my feelings secret ... otherwise they freak out and ghost me, block me, excommunicate me. I very often wish I could just give up on intimacy, but I seem to be driven to seek it.

I'm struggling in therapy to find some measure of accommodation. My life wasn't always this empty, and memories of intimacy plague me.

Just want to let you know you're not alone.

BitFlipper Level 8 Aug 10, 2020

I think the good news is that you truly see yourself well and know yourself well. Clearly by what you have written, you have a level head...which also may be to your detriment. You are not a touchy-feely type of person who falls in love easily. What ever you do, don’t give up!! Use that level-headedness and find a way to systematically look for what you want. I have seen several situations where a first love is found late in life. You must be open to it! (Fortunately or unfortunately I have the opposite problem of falling in love too easily so I have learned to back away to preserve my heart.). Good luck.😃

Good news for you here is you have the power to chnager your situation. It seems like you had a type. You were heavily drawn to the super attractive, high maintenance ladies with their coiffed hair, fancy outfits and nice makeup. If you didn't give less than attractive or low maintenance women a chance, this is why your relationships lacked that intellectual depth. How can you expect a relationship which roots are grounded in superficiality to develop intellectual and emotional depth??

I didn't catch that high-maintenance angle. It does sound like his last relationship was quite retail-oriented. Well, that's the only way some of us can get any attention. Women aren't going to spend time with us just because we're nice - there are better-looking, more-confident, more-successful men all over the place and women just don't notice us without a little marketing effort.

Well stated.

He literally said they ran his pocket book dry and the relationship was purely transactional. He doesn't have to explicitly word something for us to be able to connect the dots here. I'd bet a large sum of money none of them were low maintenance buying their own stuff.

I think you are right. Sometimes if you can't find "your type " and be happy, you might want to change your type.

Thanks for the reply, actually the woman I had the longest relationship with 4 months, 12 days was the last and while I was attracted to her physically most would see her as being more androgynous. But what really attracted me to her was her personality and intelligence. She was/is a bio engineer researching the AIDS virus as a med tech. At the time she was about 6 to 10 years younger than me at about 2 years out of college working her first "real job".

Anywho her geeky nature and high intelligence was what drew me to her.. it was truly a breath of fresh air over the 10 or so prior that didn't get past a first date. Prior to that my relationships all the way back to adolescence where purely physical with no strong emotional or intellectual connection.

I grew up in a very small town, so all of the folks in my age group also grew up with me from kindergarten to year 12 a total of 11 of us. This didn't help very much for dating when you could easily go back and realize many were 2, 3, 4, or 5th removed cousins in one way or another in a town of less than 3200 people.

Anyway, I remember asking one of my classmates out to dinner once and they told me, I was "too smart" for them and that they couldn't relate to me and that I'd just get bored with them.

It echos the same kind of statement I've been told professionally for over seven years now..

"You've got an impressively broad set of experience and skills. We just feel you'd get bored here and leave."

What the hell?

Don't I have a say in this? What if I'm alright with being bored. What if having some kind of consistency and an uncomplicated relationship or job might be what I'm hungering for over literally having nothing but my own endeavours and personal successes (or failures) alone.

I think that lady actually did you a favour as you may have had consistency (or not, who knows), but it would lack that intellectual depth you are seeking. If I may ask, what caused the relationship with the androgynous engineer to end? Is there something that can be adjusted on our end there? Or was it just bad timing for you both or her?

As for the career thing, I have never been overqualified 😳 But I was told that hiring managers may avoid hiring overqualified people so they do not have to pay you what you are worth as you probably won't settle for a lower salary OR they are threatened by you and that you will one day take their job! It is an interesting dilemma in a competitive, capitalistic society.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 48

Photos 164 More

Posted by UnitySomeday my princess will appear before me. ❤️

Posted by AtheistPeace666Hello I'm a single Canuck looking for my special lady Canuck.

Posted by KhaCRYou ever feel like you found the perfect sexual partner then he turns out to be a complete 💩bag and you can’t find the satisfaction in other encounters?

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by KateOahuYes, I agree that the reverse is also true.

Posted by JolantaThis is what women have to put up with and then they want to be intimate while we are still angry because they will not do their share of housework.

Posted by JolantaDucky, Snookums....

Posted by SorchaThis is a guy I was talking to from okcupid. He is totally new to online dating and it shows.

Posted by JolantaThat’s Amore. Some women are just far too shallow.

Posted by JolantaSomething for real intimacy perhaps.

Posted by Green_Soldier71Has anyone here had any experience with (or known someone who has/had) a SEXLESS MARRIAGE/RELATIONSHIP or a FRIGID PARTNER?

Posted by EyesThatSmileNakedness.

Posted by LetzGetRealMy family has often commented how I should become a "cougar"... as I look pretty good at my age and have a younger mindset than some of my peers, I guess this is there rationale?

Posted by Ann-1980The 4 types of Intimacy to feel sufficient, satisfied & healing in a love relationship.

Posted by Philip21over the top thinking? [agnostic.com]

• Top tags#relationship #sex #intimacy #video #friends #religious #hope #religion #world #god #children #wife #marriage #book #kids #advice #death #reason #agnostic #beliefs #Atheist #hell #money #society #movies #fear #hello #Present #parents #belief #loves #Song #community #lonely #books #divorce #culture #humans #dogs #sleep #chemistry #Christian #college #soul #animals #sexy #philosophy #holiday #DonaldTrump #sexuality ...

Members 1,849Top