Agnostic.com
15 6

A question to the group:
What does "being emotionally available" mean to you?

Sonja44 7 Nov 10
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no idea. I think it is a meaningless phrase. Or it can mean whatever you want it to.

Robeh Level 4 Jan 5, 2022

I came to respond as a woman who knows I struggle with emotional availability - I can see the patterns, I know I came by them honestly and added my own fuel to the fire by choosing to engage in risky relationships that reinforced the hurt. Seeing the patterns doesn't mean I can turn them off like a light switch - they're very hard to shift. The only thing that is helping is a consistent practice of self-compassion. So to me, emotional availability means being willing to see my emotional walls and putting in the work to lower them. That doesn't mean everyone gets access to my emotional core.

I did just read the comments. I sort of though Agnostics might share a ridicule of gender stereotypes, but I guess not. haha!

Lydiaeli Level 6 Nov 21, 2020

I remember a long time ago, back in the eighties, a home economics teacher told me that men play at love because the only thing they need is sex, and women play with sex because they only thing they need is love. That wasn't that long ago. the human animal has been conditioned by our culture to behave in specific ways. Culture is poison.

To me, it means when you’re having a bad day, your inclination is to tell me about it, rather than shut down, go quiet, or try to shrug it off yourself. Let me help, or just be supportive. Maybe get you a drink or rub your feet...

I don't feel like being emotionally available means that you have to be vulnerable and completely let your guard down.

Just be present and open to others, let things play out naturally, don't force it. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and let others know how you feel, but don't fear rejection. Be kind, be honest with yourself and others.

Just thoughts... Still learning...

I feel like being emotionally available means to be able to stand beside your partner emotionally feel what they feel even if only fractional, known your partners ' emotional vulnerabilitys and nature what makes them hurt and nurture those areas with love and support. When they do get hurt understand how why and where it hurts based on who they are and how they tend to hurt.

Iamcelery Level 3 Nov 16, 2020

I hear women complaining about men not being "emotionally available". It must be a thing for them. The way they talk about it resembles vulnerability.

Speaking only for myself, I hope I NEVER FALL IN LOVE AGAIN. It's too painful, too damaging, too draining to give so much of oneself in exchange for nothing. Now, if women were emotionally available that would change everything.

BitFlipper Level 8 Nov 14, 2020

Not always. The love that I shared with my first wife lasted after she died of cancer. Nothing could have separated us but the death of one of us. And I still love and miss her. It took me a while after her passing to realize that the inscription in our rings “All My Love Forever” was the literal truth.

I am sorry that you had a bad relationship. My second marriage was pretty bad. I agree with your sentiments; never again.

@Detritus A bad relationship? That's spelled "Relationships". There's no way I could become this cynical after just one bad relationship. I had one good one, and all the rest have been disasters.

@bitflipper. Consider the possibility that emotionally available women do exist, and there are those who are amenable to engaging in an enduring, intimate, and exclusive relationship with compatible emotionally available men. If those who are themselves emotionally available would just retain a glimmer of optimism about a chance encounter with another emotionally available compatible person, then perhaps the bitterness of the desire to never fall in love again will wane when the sweet essence of intimate love waxes in their minds once again. Such an encounter can happen anywhere where we who cherish the wondrous feelings of reciprocated true love frequent, such as this website and specifically this chat group.

Strikes me as having a different or particular meaning based on a individual's circumstances....

Kempster45 Level 5 Nov 12, 2020

To me it is being open with your partner and that is every so difficult because of old hurts.

Jolanta Level 9 Nov 11, 2020

IMHO this is the complaint that a narcissistic woman makes after years of torturing and abusing their victim to the point where he shuts down in self-defense. Just another step in an abusive power game to blame the victim. YMMV, of course. Been there, done that, finally burned the shirt and bridge.

Detritus Level 7 Nov 10, 2020

Wow, I see you are 'the victim'. I wonder how that kind of attitude has helped you in a new relationship?

@Jolanta Well, I tried to start a relationship but found that I can’t. She was a very nice person but a combination of my continued love for my first wife and attachment disorder from my second made it impossible. I have resigned myself to living alone for whatever time I have left. I don’t want to hurt anyone nor be hurt. And you must risk hurt to have a relationship.

@Detritus I don't understand why you would want to have a relationship with anyone if you still in love with your first wife and the problem with the attachment disorder. I think you need help instead of feeling sorry for yourself.

@Jolanta it was a huge, but mutual, mistake. For which I paid dearly. As they say, experience is often a dear teacher but some fools will learn from no other. Or as a later summarized it, I wanted love in the worst way, and that is what I found. Had I been smart I would have waited.

@Jolanta you are being judgemental. Where does @Detritus say that he is "feeling sorry for" himself.
Looks like he spotted your sort in one "Just another step in an abusive power game to blame the victim. YMMV, of course".
But what would I know I'm merely a male frayed bear!
LMAO.

@Jolanta "I don't understand why you would want to have a relationship with anyone if you still in love with your first wife and the problem with the attachment disorder." - So you are one of those Indian givers when it comes to love - yours is conditional on this, that or the other?

When I give my love it is there forever even if I am no longer physically there.

Why should attachment disorder prohibit? I gave up smoking twenty years ago but still enjoy walking down the street behind a smoker.

@FrayedBear All love is conditional, all. And when you ask why people with attachment disorder should get help, I think that is pretty obvious. Big difference between smoking and being attached to someone.

@Jolanta "All love is conditional" perhaps contains the reason for every person's problems?

Where's your generosity Jolanta?
Reread #MagicPudding!
Cast off your xtian indoctrination!
Grasp the joy of loving without conditions (conditional love sounds control freaky OCD to me!).
👋👋👋👋👋

@FrayedBear I love to see you falling in love with a women or man who doesn't look the way you want them to.

@Jolanta lol. There have been some. They still have my love but not my physical presence.

It's a vague criticism of guys who often are "succinct" in their feelings...then the girlfriend tags us with "you're just emotionally unavailable"....to which I reply...

Robecology Level 9 Nov 10, 2020

Being able to speak honestly about your own feelings and needs and being able to listen nonjudgmentally and compassionately to someone else's. Bonus for being comforting and responsive to the other person's needs, while being non-demanding, non-critical, and non-defensive.

ejbman Level 7 Nov 10, 2020

@FlippantLlama Well, that would be ideal certainly, but I would say that's more than being just emotionally available. That's also being kind on top of it.

Knowing and being in touch with Yourself .

GEGR Level 7 Nov 10, 2020

It means the person is not afraid of being vulnerable. In touch with their own feelings.

I think it might be easier to attack this from the back . If a person , for instance , has been emotionally tramatized , they may have to sort themselves out emotionally first , before they are able to trust and love someone else . In that circumstance , they may not be emotionally available . So someone who is emotionally available , is ready to develop feelings for others , when they are with the right others .

Cast1es Level 9 Nov 10, 2020

Not to be abused by someone dumping their psychoses & illogical beliefs on you?

FrayedBear Level 9 Nov 10, 2020

Get thee behind me proselytising evangelist, obsessive compulsive personality disordered control freak, me tooer or misandrist.

You are grossly mistaken and probably uninformed if you genuinely believe metoo is related to psychosis or illogical beliefs.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 79

Photos 164 More

Posted by UnitySomeday my princess will appear before me. ❤️

Posted by AtheistPeace666Hello I'm a single Canuck looking for my special lady Canuck.

Posted by KhaCRYou ever feel like you found the perfect sexual partner then he turns out to be a complete 💩bag and you can’t find the satisfaction in other encounters?

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by EntheogenFanI have a story to tell.

Posted by KateOahuYes, I agree that the reverse is also true.

Posted by JolantaThis is what women have to put up with and then they want to be intimate while we are still angry because they will not do their share of housework.

Posted by JolantaDucky, Snookums....

Posted by SorchaThis is a guy I was talking to from okcupid. He is totally new to online dating and it shows.

Posted by JolantaThat’s Amore. Some women are just far too shallow.

Posted by JolantaSomething for real intimacy perhaps.

Posted by Green_Soldier71Has anyone here had any experience with (or known someone who has/had) a SEXLESS MARRIAGE/RELATIONSHIP or a FRIGID PARTNER?

Posted by EyesThatSmileNakedness.

Posted by LetzGetRealMy family has often commented how I should become a "cougar"... as I look pretty good at my age and have a younger mindset than some of my peers, I guess this is there rationale?

Posted by Ann-1980The 4 types of Intimacy to feel sufficient, satisfied & healing in a love relationship.

Posted by Philip21over the top thinking? [agnostic.com]

• Top tags#relationship #sex #intimacy #video #friends #religious #hope #religion #world #god #children #wife #marriage #book #kids #advice #death #reason #agnostic #beliefs #Atheist #hell #money #society #movies #fear #hello #Present #parents #belief #loves #Song #community #lonely #books #divorce #culture #humans #dogs #sleep #chemistry #Christian #college #soul #animals #sexy #philosophy #holiday #DonaldTrump #sexuality ...

Members 1,849Top