Agnostic.com

239 30

My dads entire life he was an Atheist. He battled cancer for several years and upon his death bed when he was not of sound mind, his wife had him baptized and had a minister save his soul.

This angers me bc I know it was more for HER peace of mind. She is no longer a part of mine or my sons lives. Am I wrong to be upset about this or should I be happy in case she was right and we were wrong all along?

SunnySmiles 6 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

239 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is just more proof that christianity compels it's members to force their religious dogma upon everyone regardless of the recipient's wishes. This outrageous practice in extreme cases has resulted in the death of millions through burning witches, genocide of native Americans, and crusades against competing theologies. When will it ever end? I'm with you on this....

I would be angry on his behalf. I have seen versions of this behavior, and so I have explicitly asked my family to please not do this to me. I might try to be forgiving of the person who was just trying to save a loved one from the hell they believed in. But I do consider it a betrayal and so that would be hard. If it were simply a case of "in case they are right and we are wrong," we would all pose as believers and live Pascal's wager. The reason I don't is because I don't think any god worth the name would be convinced by such a cowardly escape clause.

jmott Level 3 Dec 24, 2017

To me that's "spiritual rape..." Overriding someone's will and forcing your will upon them... when they cannot speak for themselves.

well yes you do have a right to be upset she knew your father's beliefs and ignored them and forced her own beliefs on him. but I'd say put it out of your life holding on to this will only act like a cancer and rob you of you happiness.

johns Level 4 Dec 24, 2017

Take responsibility for yourself. If she is correct and there is an afterlife (if there is an afterlife, I don't believe it comes in a form described by any religion), then maybe she did him some good. If she is wrong, than all that happened is that he got a little bit wet before he died.

I feel if it brought her comfort it is ok..From what I understand the person has to accept Christ into their heart.. NoMatter how much someone prays for you, it's still your choice. If he choose to be "saved" then it was good for both of them. She also stood by him in the bad/ sickness times. She loved him and did her best, by her knowledge to see he had eturnal life and rest .

What does it really matter? He doesn't know or care. My husband did not want any kind of religious ceremony; but when his brother asked for a prayer at his memoria!, the kids and I agreed. No one was hurt.We always thought everyone should honor others beliefs. Not validate, just honor.

I like this. I was always taught that funerals and wakes were for the survivors anyway, a moment to say goodbye the best way they can and to remember who that person was. The body is a shell after death. Nothing done at that point affects the deceased in any way, shape or form. Whatever those still living have to do and whatever they have to say to let go should be respected and honored. If we cannot respect each other then how can we even begin to expect the same in return?

If you believe what Christ taught being religious has nothing to do with salvation, "there are many paths to our fathers home", " he who is first will be last in heaven" the parable of the samaritan, all point to the fact if he did exist he didn't give a damn about religion or the religious.

I’d probably be annoyed at that too...but not angry. It didn’t hurt him, and if it made her feel better, the ritual was simply a harmless way of grieving. Who is right or wrong, you won’t know until death anyway. So that isn’t worth stressing about.

I don't think it makes much difference to your dad. Your dad's wife is still alive, and if this brings her comfort, is that so bad? You may not want anything to do with her, but she is a human being with feelings.

If he was an atheist, no amount of preaching and crossing the forehead with water or dunking in a baptismal font (doubt they dunked him) or loud praying, will make a bit of difference to him. Be happy because you ARE a happy person...let it lie...

I think that baptizing someone against their will is pretty despicable, especially when it's done at a time with the person being baptized doesn't have the conscious ability to agree or disagree. For those who claim to believe in "free will," this is profoundly antagonist to everything Jesus taught, which suggests that she does not believe what she said she believed, and was willing to get what she wanted through any means necessary.

Walking around with anger or hurt/hate is a bad thing for you. The sooner you forgive and forget the better for you. She's still controlling you if you have bad feelings towards her in you. Don't do that...

There really are no straight down the line 'should's' or 'oughts,' we do what we do often from a very straight place within ourselves . Feel your anger and sometime you might be able to let it go - just carry on doing whatever you need to do for yourself - Many times I have been in a situation where someone with good intentions has 'blessed' me - I try to find the way to make it work for me and then let it go; like the man said "whilst your'e bearing a grudge the grudgee is out dancing!" it seems it is ourselves who give ourselves pain - Let it go if your husband was atheist its not going to harm him now.

You have the right to be angry ...but did you guys, you and your dad, talked about that before he got too sick? Or did you ask her if she had his okay?

A lot of religious people are selfish in this manner. They cannot live and let live. Think about it as a mass insanity. How can they justify a sky fairy in their own minds if someone rational is before them? She will say she saved him and her fellow believers will hero worship... ugh

I really REALLY hope no one messes with me like that. Sorry 😟

It's pretty amazing how people are when death are involved. Did it hurt your father, no. But I would be very upset if someone did that to me towards the end. My Grandmother died Christmas Eve Morning. We still had our family Christmas and my mom let my Aunt say grace and it was horrible. This is the same Aunt who was upset with me when I decided to tell my family I was an atheist.

I was going to quote Voltaire's last words to the priest but there is doubt as to their authenticity. Instead I'll leave the following link to some interesting deathbed quotes real and imagined.
[nairaland.com]

OH my gosh! I would be livid You are right to be furious, but don't let the anger consume you. It only hurts you, not the transgressor. Peace.

A Buddhist monk and novice were walking by a river when they came upon a young woman in distress. "Please help me" she asked. "My mother is sick and needs a doctor but I cannot get across this river to fetch him". The monk put the lady on his back and fords the river. He returns to the novice and they continue on their journey. After a few hours have passed, the novice talks to the monk and says "I am troubled". "What is troubling you?" the monk asks. "Well we are forbidden all contact with women and yet you carried that young lady across the river". "Yes I did" said the monk "but I put her down. You have been carrying her for the past 3 hours".

Whatever differences you have with your stepmom, you both do have one thing in common. You both loved your dad and presumably he loved her, despite of their different beliefs.

We only get one innings and when your out, your out. The anger that you feel is very justified but it only hurts you. If you could bring yourself to forgive her then it might go some way to show that Christians do not have a monopoly on forgiveness. It may also go some way to help you deal with your loss. I ask you to try, for you and your dads sake if not hers.

BTW she had it done out of a place of love I'm sure. Or of deep fear that she would not see him again if he weren't baptized. So realize she has her superstitions and needed to do this so that she wouldn't have to live with guilt.

I was in the hospital. My parents priest showed up to give me a blessing while I had a toothbrush in my mouth (in bed). Apparently the LOOK I gave him convinced him not to come back and visit again. It's wrong to force your beliefs on someone when they can't defend themselves. But don't worry - a baptism doesn't "make you religious".

Upset yes, I am explicitly stating I do not want god even mentioned if someone chooses to memorialize me. But the good part is what your mom did means nothing, My mom just died a few months back and she was like me, atheist and did not care to learn what my brother the pastor or my brother the born again catholic. With Alzheimers disease Mom was lost and I wanted to donate her brain to research, My wonderful catholic brother hired a priest , would not donate her brain due to the resurrection mom was about to receive. I was pissed off and mostly hurt at the lack of sense or common good.

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 11, 2018

I would be super pissed.

She’s an asshole

Awwww, my condolences for your Dad. And, I think this was a story on a show with Seth Andrews, "The Thinking Atheist."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1150
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.