Agnostic.com

87 1

Thoughts on Interracial Dating & Marriage

Are atheist, agnostics and freethinkers more or less open to dating and marrying someone of another race and why?

mbhorner 4 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sounds good to me. My gf is latina and I'm white.

t1nick Level 8 July 13, 2019

Don't have one

All for it! Prior to meeting, dating and marrying my wife (who is quarter Mexican), I dated several different backgrounds - African, Filipino, Native American, etc along the way. I'm a pasty white guy (German heritage) but have always been more attracted to olive/darker skin.

"Race" is a term that supposedly differentiates people because of visual features. I have heard people talk about "race" as applicable to people's skin color, facial features, or even religion. I have traveled extensively and spent a large amount of time in the Philippines, Japan, and Hong Kong. I have prejudices for and against certain groups of people. I have married a young women from Japan and an older woman from Hong Kong and had a girlfriend in the Philippines. I think that if I were to stay in other countries for long periods of time, I would find someone there for whim I would have affections.

In my early twenties I had dated a few black girls. One was part Japanese. I ended-up marrying two white women (disclaimer: not at the same time). They are good people, but I'll be completely transparent here: I love black women. I swore that if my most recent marriage ended, I'd go back to dating black women. It ended.

And now I'm on OkC with a specific filter because I really am not about to shortchange myself again on what I want. You don't go to McDonald's when you want a steak.

When I was 12 I solved the racial discrimination problem by mandating interracial marriage. In a couple generations it wouldn't be an issue. I knew from an early age skin color was no factor in who I shared my world with. It seems I'm among mostly like-minded folks on this site.

@Louiseann That is also what I thought as a child. Still think that it would work.

Are we less racist ???....yes, I think so.......I t hink because we are less evil, hateful.....

The thought of discrimination itself is disgusting! We'll find the world a nicer place to live if we just consider human beings as human beings.

Why would they be different? A racist is a racist regardless of their flavour

I have no problem with people of another culture. In fact I'm drawn to them.

ACDC Level 2 Nov 13, 2018

Same answer as the question about Politics affiliation and religious beliefs that was posed a couple of days ago. One thing has nothing to do with the other. Atheist can date or marry any color any given day. Why would it be any different?

An unnecessary question knowing the open mindedness of this group!

Did you watch the royal wedding? Move on.

I think we should be cognizant of the fact that this is an international platform and not all places around the world share Western enlightenment values. Places like Yemen, Mali, Iran, Saudi Arabia, and Texas.

@Stepmomofdragons My school friends uncle made it to page 5 of the daily mirror (then the biggest newspaper in the UK) circa late 50s early 60s. because he married a black woman. Move on to the 70s and its no biggie in my hood. 2018 and the very heart of the English establishment has moved on too. Truth is in my hood you would get some very funny looks for even asking that question.
Okay maybe where I live is a-typical or hopefully the way we will all go.

@273kelvin Until 1967 when the US Supreme Court ruled in Loving vs. Virginia, it was a crime in many states to marry someone of a different race. One need not refer to the map showing the states that were forced by the courts to rescind their anti-miscegenation laws, but here it is for your information--no surprises here!
[aclu.org]

@273kelvin Married my Nigerian husband in 1979. I'm white. Old news around here.

@AlPastor Please don't assume that all people from Iran think or feel that way. I met the love of my life from Iran in the 70's. Still going strong

@ACDC Oh, I hope may comment didn't come off that way as I certainly don't assume that is the case. Also, congrats on your relationship, that is wonderful!

My theory is, without any data to back it up, that they probably are more open to inter-racial dating based on the fact that they tend to be more open minded in general anyway. But at the same time, I don't think being agnostic or atheist is a guarantee that you are open to it.

I have lived in nonwhite neighborhoods since 2006. I find a lot of white people for the most part ugly. Of the guys I have dated, the most respectful were the Black men. I have never been assaulted by anyone who was not a white man. Although I have faced danger from both Blacks and whites, it was the Black predator whose sense of chivalry I was able to awaken when he was stalking me (3 AM, alone, party dress from dancing at the Harvard club, most dangerous borough of Brooklyn) by turning around and asking him to walk me home (turning myself from victim into somebody's sister or mother).

But I am very wary of dating men from disgustingly and frighteningly sexist cultures; and there is a country from which every man I have dated was excruciatingly boring, so I keep away from that nationality.

@Compassion8doubt Ok a little much but... at some point a person has to learn a pattern!

Same nation, same men, in my not too small experience; when in positions of power (doctors, professors) are always extremely condescending to women, especially young women, and do not place any worth At All on what a woman in a position they see as lower than them has to say or think.

Again, a whole nation of sexist asses? Maybe not, but at some point I have to stop giving this category of person a chance~ in my life

I have no issues with interracial dating or marriage.

I'm not racist. You could be any color or scotch plaid and I wouldn't care, Can't speak for other athiests!

I don't know about that. If I saw someone with scotch plaid skin color, I would think they had some type of disease and would probably stay away him/her.

Over the years, I have dated three black men.

"You and Terry are from different cultures (Latino and English), different socio-economic classes, and different parts of the country," my mother warned before our wedding. "You will have to deal with this every day of your marriage."

"Love conquers all," we replied blithely. She was right.

"You are not family," Terry's mother told me. She called me "overeducated." In Mexico, she had only completed the 4th grade.

His mother believed I was stealing her baby. She blamed me for Terry leaving the Catholic Church, although he left the church 15 years before meeting me. Her hostility was painful.

This gives me pause.

theres one race humans everything else is ethnicity if you don't like someone based on melanin your a sad fcker

Doesn’t matter to me

We all bleed red blood, it's just pigmentation as far as the skin is. So, yes i am/would, no issue here.

I don’t know if it’s ACTUALLY different in the west/midwest/south (okay, maybe there...) or if it’s just how I was raised, but up here in Boston it barely registers in my mind, and even then it might be just that perhaps I noticed because I see how beautifully the different skin tones look together or something of that nature! It’s nice to see TV and movies catching up recently, whether they point it out or not is personal to every family’s story but hardly ever is it shown as anything but normal.

Freethinkers are maybe more open to it. IDK. At one point in my earlier life I was against interracial marriage. After 12 years of marriage to a Kenyan woman so many that talk to me want to get me to revert back to being against mixed marriages again. The racist bastards!

Both partners need to be fully aware of the prejudices they will face and how it will add stress to their lives and marriage. If they understand that and truly love each other and are willing to help each other through the difficult times, go for it!

I have zero problems with interracial dating and marriage; but, of course, I also didn't when I was a believer. Although, many religious people, I would say most, around me were against it.

I once attended a church where the racist preacher said he would not allow an interracial couple to become members (he was black, she was white). It was later discovered (after I quit going to that church) that he was molesting his own daughter.

I would like to say that all people rational enough to be atheists and agnostics are also too rational to be racist; but, sadly, that just isn't the case. Although, I do think they are the minority among us.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:152404
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.