Agnostic.com

31 6

What do you think is the common link in this "group"? Do you think it's dating, or theology based? What is it that you are looking for, by being here?

Self explanatory sort of question, inspired by curiosity. Nothing more. I seek no one, or anything except understanding.

Dreegle 4 Jan 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dating, new friends, using my brain and potential relationships on the horizon.

Wow. Lots of responses. I don't think I can respond to them all. Intelligent conversation seems to be the common thread... which, to me seems paradoxical. I mean, that would be ok, if we were conversing. We're taking turns, to express ideas, that are relevant to a topic, conversation requires interjections, and rambling off into bizarre fantasies, jumping down psychological rabbit holes, and determining the rationality, possibility and plausibility of passing events. Clouds can look like dragons, and the matrixing effect within our brains can transport people to fantastic realms, with conversation... We take turns to tell our side, and our medium is words, forming sentences, forming puzzles and riddles about unique impacts upon our lives, and how others interpret them... I guess. So, I guess, the next question would have to be... What determines an intelligent "conversation"? How can you tell if you're having one? Or are you merely engaged in bonding with a peer? Intelligence takes many forms, So an intelligent discussion between two people, would be more easily engaged between of similar backgrounds? So, validation from our peers. Yes? I'm fine with that... but do you think that's what people are "subconsciously" looking for? Why we get drawn places?

I'm here for the exchange of ideas. Dating sites have never worked for me.

skado Level 9 Jan 22, 2018

There's only one common link I've noticed in this group: we all like discussing various different subjects.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 22, 2018

being individuals, disliking trump/corrupt people, fake people and sports oh and intelligence

I joined for the social interaction, and intelligent conversation, topics I’m interested in, and hopefully to find some local people. Other groups I have joined (especially on fb) devolved over the years into “selfie threads” and circle jerks unfortunately. I can’t rule out the possibility that there may be another human here that can understand and tolerate my bad attitude.... but it’s not the goal. There just aren’t a lot of atheists, much less just generally intelligent folks around here. 🙂

Well I can tell you, even the women that are not compatible are way smarter than my past experiences. There are a few here I find intriguing. I think chivalry is golden and with thought, croversing and patients some will surface. To rush and get hooked up quick never works. Slow and steady wins the race.

Release valve, safe space

Conversation, fellowship

Inspiration, edification

(What everyone else said)

It's the community of course.

Intelligent, thought provoking dialogue is why I joined this site. I like reading about new ideas, and talking to people who think for themselves and do not blindly follow.

I was on dating sites for years... UGH and UGH... I'm here to read and enjoy the community for the most part now though I did join for dating. I just came to realize that this site is soooooooooo much more.

I’ve already noticed many people are not looking to date. So the theology, of course.

I've openly been an atheist for a long time so I'm definitely not here to talk about god to other atheists. (I mean what is there to say about it after "I concur"?)

Certainly venting about the isolation atheists can face is helpful.

I'm looking forward to discussing the challenges of raising children as an atheist with other parents.

Definitely excited that no one will send me prayer hands emojis! When people send me those, or even worse request them from me on FB, I accidentally on purpose post clapping hands. (Dick move? Perhaps. Also funny? Definitely.)

Dating. Maybe. I've been single, by choice, a long time. I've enjoyed it for the most part. Would I like to be involved with someone again? Sure, but I'm not crying myself to sleep over it and certainly not going to force it.

I currently live in a small town surrounded by the Big Three: The Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Kidding. Religion, Racism and and Homophobia. Trying to have a conversation with these people makes me feel like my brain is exploding so this site reminds me that I am not alone.

Oh! And banter. Have to have the banter. 😉 Peace and love.

Love your post, just thought I would add that those hands are actually a “high five” which I found hilarious and point out to those who use it erroneously as “prayer hands”.... dick move ? Ahh might be, technically correct? Yup 🙂 🙂

Straight-up community for me. I like the idea of conversing with like-minded people, and not having to constantly defend facts. It's refreshing that common knowledge and science are accepted without argument. I also like the fact that so many of the members are not only intelligent, they also have a sense of humor.

I think most people use it for discussion but that does not preclude meeting others

I definitely came for the discussions. The dating function of the site I only learned of once I joined. A personal relationship out of it would be lovely "frosting," but I am not hanging my hopes on that, by any stretch. I seem to live in an intellectual backwater(sorry, Louisiana, but it's true). Long distance dating intimidates me, so that does not help my odds in the dating department. Or maybe I'm just too opinionated to live with! 😉

I would ultimately like to find a long term relationship. But I also would like to make new friends. It seems that many people on this site have similar views as mine and that makes it much easier to connect with a person. I don’t agree with opposites attract. That’s more of a sexual connection and ends quickly after the rush.

I'm so glad you said that. More than once I have been branded mean because I leave people quickly and easily. (Well, also, one of my favorite songs is titled "I Told You I Was Mean", so that might have something to do with it, too. 😉 ) I am not mean. It's because once the chemicals calm down there's nothing there. The person starts talking alot more and things fall out of their face that I just don't have the capacity to ignore. I don't want to talk to sheep and I don't have the patience to be a shepherd.

Dating is what drew me to the site but conversation with like minded people is what keeps me here. I felt very alone in my thinking before I joined, so I'm grateful for the void it fills.

I expect to meet people simular in my belief. That's it... no dating... just want to expand my knowledge.

I think most of us are here because we are interested in the topic of religion. I'm personally open to dating, but I joined because it seemed like an interesting community to take part in. I wasn't wrong.

Don't think only there are some very intelligence interesting topics that come up. Also you can talk make mistakes do not really feel judged more like pushed in a better direction.

Currently I would say curiosity brings me here. It's refreshing to be on a platform where peoples beliefs are similar to mine.

Intelligent and caring dialogue. Most, but not all, contributors to this site meet these criteria.

Living in rural NC bible belt , just seeking intelligent conversation and reassurance that I'm not alone in my thoughts and beliefs .

For me it is to take the place of an actual social life. At 55 I no longer have the tolerance to listen to the bullshit of the local goons in my area. At least not on my own time, only for work or my kids activities. "No Billy Bob, I don't think Trump tells it like it is." " No Betty Joe, I'm not mad at God. For the last time I don't believe in him.". "Hey you damn theists, get out of my yard!"

Yeah. I know that feeling... I'm a coast city boy 400 miles inland, in a small town. I don't have a social life, because I don't know what to do, and what they do looks boring as anything. lol... I miss not missing tge internet.

@LennyP49 I had Cancer at 45 - my condolences on the experience. And on the "Tots and pears" it gets very upsetting. I kept thinking "Let's cure cancer instead of praying shall we?". I hope surgery goes smoothly for you.

I joined to speak freely about being an atheist and maybe meeting someone, but don't care for having to earn points to browse to look at other members.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17345
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.