Agnostic.com

75 4

Can science and religion be reconciled?

I would like to propose a three-pronged approach:

(A-) From the historical point of view, the answer is Yes.
Thomas Dixon, in his very good and concise introduction "Science and Religion", writes: "Although the idea of warfare between science and religion remains widespread and popular, recent academic writing on the subject has been devoted primarily to undermining the notion of inevitable conflict. [...] there are good historical reasons for rejecting simple conflict stories." - - -
The same conclusion can be found in Peter Harrison's detailed historical analysis "The territories of Science and Religion" : "...the idea of a perennial conflict between science and religion must be false (...)".- - - -
And John Hedley Brooke in "Science and Religion" :
"The popular antithesis between science, conceived as a body of unassailable facts, and religion, conceived as a set of unverifiable beliefs, is assuredly simplistic." - - - "... an image of perennial conflict between science and religion is inappropriate as a guiding principle.".

(B. The personal point of view. - Again the answer is Yes.
There are real scientists who believe in a personal triune God, and in Jesus as their savior, and in the Bible as the word of god... and all the rest of Christian creed and dogma. These scientists assure us that they do not have 'split personalities' and I have no reason to doubt their testimony. They believe that God created the universe and life, and they see it as their job to analyse and describe and understand His creation. How they manage to do this without mentioning the Holy Spirit or the Divine Logos in their papers is up to them. Obviously they are able do this and they are respected by their peers.

(C.) The methodological point of view. - Here the answer is No!
Christian scientists may not have 'split personalities', but they have to practice what I would call a methodological atheism at work. As they enter the lab, they have to keep God out of their mind, or to encapsulate their belief. There is simply no possibility whatsoever to mix their work and their faith. Science as a method and religion as a faith can never form an alloy. Christian scientists may be motivated by their faith to work as scientists, to better understand His creation, but this motivation is confined to the personal level (B.)
The contents of their faith must never contaminate the method they have to apply so that the results of their work count as "science". The career of an evolutionary biologist would be over the very moment s/he opines publicly something like "The known mechanisms of evolution can only account for micro-evolution, but in order to explain macro-evolution we need a transcendent and divine force."

Matias 8 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

75 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No!

If we are talking about people who take the Bible litterslly the answer is no, if it is taken as a metiphor but you still believe an intelligence crated everything and you will dwell in the house of the lord forever than it’s still no, but with gusto!

I would say NO! NO! and LOOK into the latest genome research. I would offer argument rather than quote-mining opinion.

Religion has always hampered the progress of science. This is historical fact, though the apologetic junkies would have us believe science is indebted to religion and sprang forth from religion, it has always stood opposed to dogma.

To subscribe to religious faith is to set aside the principle of sceptical doubt. Fantastical theatre religion undoubtably is, but it is fiction and void of claims to truth. Believers make blinkered scientists, they may run the race, but they miss the spectacle.

Couldn't disagree more!

@TheMiddleWay Islam's contribution to Science ended once they managed to work out how to get all their mosques aligned to Mecca. The fabled "Golden Age" is more of a conceit than a truth.

Admittedly many associated with the Christian Church made contributions to Science, but the methodology they employed was far removed from their theological suppositions. Men make scientific observations, the Church only peddles lies.

The university point I concede, but I wouldn't read too much into it. In the Middle Ages the Church was the most powerful institution on Earth, so it is not surprising it had a monopoly on schooling.

Religious "scientists" see no conflict because they choose not to examine their beliefs as rigorously as they would conduct an experiment.

@TheMiddleWay Belief is not Knowledge. Science seeks Knowledge; that which can be shown to be true, or most likely to be true. To do this it calls Evidence as its witness to the bar of Reason. Religious belief on the other had is entirely based on unqualified supposition, and brings zero knowledge to the table.

I would defend my use of the word "always" by asserting that whenever religion has appeared to aid the advancement of Science, this has always been done at a cost. Religion is not interested in Truth, all it cares about is Dogma.

@TheMiddleWay There is only one Truth!

@TheMiddleWay RE; the photon -- it appears to be both but is most probably neither, we just haven't yet found a suitable model to address all aspects of its behavior.

What the religious call "truth" and what is actually TRUE, are two totally different things, and they are ontologically mutually exclusive. Behind every Belief there should be Reason, and Reason should always remain anchored within the gravity of reality. Religion prefers the realm of dreams.

@TheMiddleWay Re: finite/infinite -- think of the difference between pure and applied mathematics. Infinity is a mathematical conjecture not necessarily a practical reality.

I hope your dreams make you happy. Sorry I cannot share them -- they don't wash!

@TheMiddleWay Am I really being dogmatic with regard to Truth? Or is it Truth that dictates an absolute division? Is the desire for verifiable evidence a wanton abandon? Or the expectation that behind the phenomena there is a rational explanation worth the seeking?

I know we need to use infinity in our calculations, but that doesn't make it "real". You did not give me any scientific proof of pluralism, instead you gave me scientific observations of phenomena that we haven't yet been able to rationalise within a monistic system. You gave a problem devoid of explanation, not a proof.

If indeed we live within a splinter of a multiverse, then truth might indeed have multiple variations, but at any given location it can have only one address! Your claims otherwise, are nothing but mysticism.

@TheMiddleWay There is no such thing as proven Science. We work with models, and with these seek to get an approximate handle on reality. When observations yield data in opposition to the model then the model needs replacing by another that can embrace the opposing data. This is our current dilemma, we know the data doesn't fit. So we're working on it. Notice -- God does not come into the equation. The moment God is inserted, the conversation stops. The search has ended and given way to magic.

@rcandlish How will we know there is only one truth until we get there?

@rcandlish Religious beliefs can be fudged as any beliefs can, but scientists do put their beliefs to the test in this life AND as a consequence get gradually closer to a truth, knowing that there is no ultimate truth.Religionists delay testing their beliefs until they die when they will or will not meet their maker . Which is the braver?

@Mcflewster What is Truth? Truth is a linguistic phenomenon where words reach for reality. There are two elements to truth: descriptive and explanative. Science covers both aspects but seeks the second. Religion on the other hand is mainly imaginative. Its statements look like truth statements, but unlike Science, Religion offers no form of verification. In fact, in this the real world, religious statements cannot be demonstrated to be anything other than supposition. As such Religion and Science though sometimes focusing on the same issues, are in fact moving in opposite directions, and as such reconciliation remains a pipe-dream only in the minds of those willing to be duped.

The statement that Scientists "know" that there is no ultimate truth is heavily presumptive. We know no such thing!

No, no & no!

In only perspective in which science and religion can be reconciled is the deist point of view -- that God created everything and now sits back and watches it all without intervening. But that requires unprovable assumptions contrary to any scientific point of view.

Why would a religious person "believe" in science when "God did it" either way? Religious scientists are laughable.

@TheMiddleWay but they credit their "God" either way which only reinforces my original point. Its laughable.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind." - Albert Einstein. I believe it's ridiculous and oddly "believerthink" that our minds can't hold a number of dissonant views at once. I make no attempt to limit anyone, and no one should presume to limit me. I'm with Einstein, here. Your spirituality is your own business, and no one tells me what to think, feel or believe. And BTW: the earth is round, and I love Neil deGrasse Tyson.

I am totally in agreement.

In that quote from Einstein, he was referring to the mystical order of the universe. He was not a religious person. And he did not believe in the biblical god who supposedly concerns himself with our fate. He thought such a belief was naive.

@balance_point I need neither a mansplanation of Einstein's beliefs, nor your help channeling Einstein.

@balance_point In fact, here is the letter he sent (using the word "naive," but no terming all religious beliefs as naive) to someone who asked him:

Dear Phyllis,

I will attempt to reply to your question as simply as I can. Here is my answer:

Scientists believe that every occurrence, including the affairs of human beings, is due to the laws of nature. Therefore a scientist cannot be inclined to believe that the course of events can be influenced by prayer, that is, by a supernaturally manifested wish.

However, we must concede that our actual knowledge of these forces is imperfect, so that in the end the belief in the existence of a final, ultimate spirit rests on a kind of faith. Such belief remains widespread even with the current achievements in science.

But also, everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that some spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe, one that is vastly superior to that of man. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is surely quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive.

With cordial greetings,

your A. Einstein

Usually in a reconciliation one or both parties change their tune to come into agreement. Science and Christianity can reconcile by simply having all Christians admit that none of the assertions in the Bible relating to the natural world can be taken literally, and admitting that everything since the big bang has happened according to natural laws. In other words, narrow god's agency range to the time before the big bang. It is not necessary to do this with Taoism, Hinduism or Buddhism because in those philosophical traditions people are not required to believe in the literal truth of the stories (though many do anyway). The stories are there merely to provide mental pathways to concepts that transcend stories. Those concepts, by the way, are not inconsistent with modern science. Read Fritjof Capra's The Tao of Physics for more on that. ?

@TheMiddleWay
It is certainly good news that only 25% of Christians now believe in literal interpretations of the Bible. However, that's still 65 million people. Still way too many!

People want to believe in superstitious claptrap and all the science and logic in the world will never convince them otherwise. A reasonable society would just make sure the religious charlatans are unable to steal their money and molest their children.

No the idea of warfare between science and religion is not popular I would think most athesits are disgusted with the idea of war. Even if it is just arguing with someone. Actually let me take that back I went to a science convention once. But still if you have mountains of evidence you can see, feel, test, retest and retest on one side. And the other you have a book saying if you don't worship me I will torture you all time because I love you. With no evidence to back it up. Why believe at all.

Heres your christian "scientist".

Kent Hovind uses celery to "disprove" evolution. He also made a dick joke with it. Ok rightttt. Even when I was a christian i was not that dumb.

Right micro-evolution that happenned over billions of years from people that believe that they world is only 6000 years old.

Your using micro-evolution in place of evolution is a nice trick of words I barely caught it. One example of micro-evolution I can think of is birds. We have seen bird families have one trait, and their offspring another. Then something happens that the offspring with a trait that better alllows them to survive that event changes their offsprings traits. And so on and on.

Can Einstein and the Tooth Fairy be reconciled?

lerlo Level 8 Sep 9, 2018

@Matias depends on which definition of reconcile you want to use...I choose "to make consistent" and therefore the answer is no. Using any other definition and the answer is whatever you want it to be.

@Matias Sorry, you're asking to reconcile fact and fiction. The Big Bang theory and all other excuses for the existence of our planet have ZERO to do with god. Because some guy says it, no matter how revered he might be to you doesn't make it so. Because you then have to answer the question did god just stop after creation? What's god doing now and you have your self fulfilling prophecy. The problem with all those arguments is accepting the initial premise which is always bullshit and unprovable: "IF scientist A believes that God created the universe as we know it and that it is an honour for him or her to study His creation." Notice the IF at the beginning? Start with b.s and you end up with b.s. If I think that you're our next president does that make it so?

@Matias Not in my world

Not if you're consistent. Religion is a form of primitive philosophy. Most religious metaphysical teachings say that reality was created by a god, can be changed by a god and that magic can happen. Most religious epistemological teachings say that truth and knowledge comes from a higher power and you must obey that higher power to reach salvation. Science disagrees with those teachings. Obviously some of the greatest scientists of all times were religious, but they weren't consistent in their philosophy.

Religion and Science will always be at odds. Religion says believe it. Scince says prove it!

I don't think so, certainly not based upon any projection that I can see. As you mentioned, scientists must put on a methodical atheist hat at work. Additionally, the extremist in each faith pull their faith in their direction, by virtue of their assertiveness and by how loudly they shout. Meanwhile, the major moderates remain idle as they are not nearly as motivated to pull back against extremists. The extremists' continued rejection of scientific evidence in most fields seems to persist and becomes more rabid as the space for the "God of the gaps" gets ever smaller.

There are people working in science that are religious. Somehow they are able to deal with the cognitive dissonance between what they see and what they believe and make it make sense.

If a person is a true student and researcher of the scientific method at most, they can say that they can not disprove there is a "god/s", because of the way hypothesizes are tested.

Scientists "say that they can not disprove" ,but neither can they prove. This makes the topic only discussable within agnosticism . Science never "just" does anything. It records and suggests explanations which eventually will move closer to the truth but may not reach it.

Ha from a historical point of science and religion work well when science dose not say anything that contradicts the myths in there holy books or what the church leader said

I have a good friend who is perhaps the 'ideal Christian'. He believe that the bible was written by men, and men make mistakes. Ask women about that! And that science is there so we humans (of all sexes) can unravel the mysteries that god has made.
We have to evolve further to fully understand what god (genderless) has done.
I like his perspective, as science cannot be heretical. For if everything is made by god, then god cannot be a heretic. For me, shame there's no god.
I believe in creation. At some point the universe that we live in came about. It may not be the first creation, nor the last. At the moment we just cannot answer that question, only investigate and give the best supporting statement. Which isn't it was knocked up in six days!

What makes a molecule can be explained by the electrical and other mysterious[to me] forces between atoms. Gradually more complex molecules gain the capacity to reproduce themselves and man /woman results. The only difference between man and another living or dead collections of molecules is that humans have consciousness of themselves and seek to improve things for all other molecules.

Dr jesse bering book: the belief instinct, the psychology of souls, destiny and the meaning of life explains the powerful desire to believe in something greater than ourselves as human instinct. like fear of the unknown or fear of the dark, a very powerful instinct. so powerfu that most will believe but never question their beliefs. they are the ones who go to church and believe in one or more of the over 4000 gods men have imagined. religion a plague on mankind. faith never ever the path to truth.

I set that people that believe have made valuable contributions to science, but I can't help feeling they shouldn't be able to call themselves scientists.

No! ... unless you use a very loose definition of either science or religion. It's impractical to accept the biblical definition of creation or the time frame many religions have for the existence of EARTH.

Only if the gods prove to be Aliens.

I thought about getting into this discussion then it came to me -
With all the other shit going on who gives a damn!

Welcome to the discussion. Thank you for your post. ?

It depends if a Good God really exists or not and if heaven and hell really exist or not. No 1 can prove a negative (prove that neither exist). If even one of the two exists, then it's half and half.

a good, omnipotent creator does not exist. it defies reason. it defies observable fact.

a good god who commits people to eternal punishment for finite transgressions does not exists, it defies the meaning of the word "good" in every way.

a being capable of influencing nature or the fate of man "supernaturally" may exist, it is not falsifiable, but given no evidence of such influence in any form, it is as dismissable as fairies and leprechauns.

@HereticSin a good, omnipotent creator does not exist. it defies reason. it defies observable fact. " It depends on definition of "Good" and "Reasoning". God's logic and reasoning may be different from ours. E=MC2 is based on assumption that speed of light is constant and nothing moves faster than speed of light (2 illogical proven scientific facts). Same with Quantum physics. Also definition of "Good" is subjective. Many white Americans LOVE Nazis and Adolf Hitler, but jews and most Americans hate Hitler and he is the symbol for evil.

@rayfunrelax E=MC2 isn't reasoning, non sequitur.

IF A isn't A, and things can be both true and false, or neither, for God, then he doesn't have a "different' logic, he's illogical.

if "good" means "wants humanity to suffer", then you've got a fucked up dictionary.

"it depends on the definition" is nothing more than redefining words to try to pretend that something impossible might exist.

@HereticSin Human Brain is only 3LBs. Just like a pig cannot add 2+3 = 5, our brain and logic, reasoning, emotions, etc....are not infinite (very limited). I agree that out of billions of planets and stars, the odds of god existing are pretty low (I am myself agnostic) but there is no PROOF that god does not exist. Just like there is no proof that human has no soul or there are no angels even though the odds are less than 1 in a billion.

What is not addressed is the development of most religions, which sprang form "scientific" hypotheses attempting to explain observed natural phenomena.
The ultimate reconciliation would be verified and reproducible proof of the existence of the supernatural.

@Matias
You are of course correct. I should have phrased my response in terms of believe in a deity, as opposed to being religious. Religion can flourish without a belief in a supreme being. Astrology, Buddhism, Yoga, and Marxism are examples.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:174495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.