Agnostic.com

44 4

Job satisfaction.

Well it's Sunday evening and only a few hours of the weekend left soon I will hear that all too familiar sound of my alarm screaming at me to get up. I don't mind getting up to go to work I just wish I had a more meaningful or exciting job something that I would enjoy getting up to do rather than hating it.

So my question is how many of you have a job you love or your dream job? Do you feel you are were you want to be or does that feel light years away from you?

Crow616 4 Sep 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think I might really enjoy my job once I can actually do it! Still waiting on system access, etc etc.

I enjoy my job to such a degree that I generally don’t like weekends.

I enjoy my job. Probably more than I should.

i have done both. now i am older, and disabled to the extent that i cannot keep a job. i think most people go through both. if you're young, it's like paying your dues. you can take steps to move up, or out. if you're older, it feels more hopeless sometimes.

g

@Crow616 thanks, but it's not a temporary disability. plus i am past retirement age anyway now. but i do thank you for the thought.

g

I loved my current job initially, but current mgmt has sucked the soul out of the place. I feel depressed on Sundays, knowing that I have to go back. I have a plan, though. Change will be coming with my next birthday. (:

Zster Level 8 Sep 16, 2018

I know that I am extremely fortunate to have exactly the job I should have. It took a long time to get here but I really hope I can stay in this organization for 10+ years. So far I am on year 4 and still love what I do every day.

Most days I greatly enjoy my job. Some days more then others. Lately been putting in 60 hour (40 on the books) weeks to get caught up so I am also looking forward to xmas break (almost two weeks)

I did that for far too long. My hair started falling out from stress, my sleep was affected. I've been "retired" for a week and have just started to improve my sleep.

@HippieChick58 I know there is a cost. A while back a local physician / facebook friend posted on his face book page that people over (think it was 50) should only work thirty hours a week as productivity declined with increased work hours. The article he linked was well researched. . .

@NoMagicCookie I do remember seeing something about that. If I do look for another job, I will look for something lower stress and not more than 30 hours a week. All I really want is health benefits. If the US had universal health care I likely wouldn't even consider looking for another job. I do have some "retirement" income that will start next month. Right now I don't know how much it is going to be. That will determine how long my first retirement is going to last.

@HippieChick58 The terrible thing is "health benefits" are -for the most part- only available for "full time" employees so 40 hour work weeks would be a minimum in most cases.

@NoMagicCookie There are a few employers that offer them to employees that work less than 40. It may take some looking, but I will endeavor to find them. I will not take a job where overtime is expected. I did that in a previous job. When you work 60 hours in 5 days it is too much and not healthy for you. The overtime was nice, but not worth what you're giving up.

@HippieChick58 You are wise. I wish you much success in finding a suitable situation.

@NoMagicCookie Thank you!

I love my job! I just hate waking up period! Lol

@Crow616 LMAO!!!

Most of the time I love my job. There are those (now seldom) times that it was really annoying, like the guy who calls 911 at 4am because of a tooth ache... but yeah, there are jobs out there that can be rewarding. Just have to figure out what’s important to you, and go for it.

I used to enjoy my job and really felt like I was contributing. The last 6 months the company culture has gone to hell so I’m job hunting

That's my situation as well. The job USED to be terrific. Under current mgmt, it's misery. I am hanging on a few more months (hopefully) and retiring to something else.

I love what I do.

My dream job was to be a stay at home mom. I excelled at that. But the kids grew up and the marriage ended. I returned to the work force and have had jobs that were ok and jobs that really sucked. I left my job a week ago. I am calling it retirement for the moment. I will reassess in a few months. If I do go back to work I doubt it will be full time and definitely not looking for a stressful job.

Now I have a job that I love. I work for a company that provides afterschool childcare in elementary schools and each day is a joy. That said, I spent 20 years running a business that was sometimes fun, exciting, and challenging, but eventually became pure dread. I never thought I'd be doing what I'm doing, but I'm happy I am.

I am retired now, but I can say that having work that you really enjoy and which allows you to accomplish something significant is great. When I had that, I looked forward to going to work and was more than willing to put in long hours.

Some days I am Mike , some days I am Sonny .
Some nights I park my car at hospital and ready for the shit storm , some nights the hospital calls " r u interested in working tonight ma'am ?" And the answer is " I don't think so ".
My career has taught me that some of us are tigers and some of us are zebras . At the end of day , we all have stripes . If not for my job , I will have never been able to look at my stripes . I am thankful . Painful at times , but thankful .

My job constantly pushes me beyond what I ever thought I was capable of. Sometimes, i hate it with every fiber of my being. The pressure can be absolutely overwhelming. Other times, I get to collaborate with world renowned experts in their respective fields. This is one of those weeks. This project will most likely end up being published in her next book and she's already asked me to go with her on her next job in Arizona, so I guess I'm doing good so far. Tomorrow is going to be a very long day...

Im not quite there yet with my job, but working on it

No, it's not were I want to be. If I could work civilized hours all year , it would be closer a good job. I hate working over nights to cover the other guys vacation time.

Love mine everyday. Not just because I am able to be in here whenever I want, but the stress is really low most of the time. What I do is also fun and varies. I know its rare to be in these shoes (as I have had dozens of less rewarding jobs) so I treasure it more than ever.

I sell guitars and since I have s passion for guitars I enjoy it... the job has its challenges, things I would change if I could but I gave up being a mortgage broker because I hated it with a passion. How I got to this point Is a long story... surfice to say I’ve learned the distances between two points is seldom a straight line.

I'm incapable of working regularly anymore. The market for jobs is poor but plentiful at the moment and that means there are plenty of crap jobs to go round. So I do agency work and quit when I'm really fed up and live within my means. I'd rather have an open road to stroll down than a flashy new sports car to travel the few miles to serfdom. Just quit again to travel to Lebanon to do a CELTA (English as a foreign language teaching course). / So my advise is quit trying to live the dream life and just live and it will probably come. Life is short- unless you know how to live it.

I am Retired... I am living my dream... not the dream... my dream. Good enough for me.

Jobs are not there to provide satisfaction. The role of a job is to remind you that you are just a cog in a big machine.
I remember my daughter coming home with the task: "What is your dream job in the future?" She was about 14. She showed me the task sheet. There was a caveat: "Be realistic!" ... I almost wanted to go to the school and question the stupid teacher by telling her/him the story of Nelson Mandela. Little black boy in Apartheid South Africa writing: "I want to become the president of SA!"
I was recently thinking how much one have to devulge about oneself just to get a shitty job.
Only those who are daring can hope for a "dream job". The bulk of people just skave away.

In capitalist USA the Job is dissatisfied with YOU.

I'm retired,but when working,after my 8 years in the Air Force,got into building and wiring large electrical power systems,then 9 years later,went into Defense work, making large missile launchers,and finally strategic missiles. Always something new,from doing bench work of cable fabrication, to assembling test sets.

@Crow616 In the USAF I got to work on bomb racks,missile launchers and the aircraft themselves, troubleshooting hung bombs, and inadvertant releases.

After separation,I got a job (as mentioned) building large electrical power systems,sometimes figuring out transformer layouts,having to drill and tap mounting holes in the metal chassis.[agnostic.com]

Aerospace work was drilling and riveting,sometimes with specialized adhesives. This missile was $4.75 Million Dollars each fully fueled,minus the W80 warhead.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm just starting to discover effective ways to achieve my actual life goals. It's sort of late for it, but I'm glad I found it at all. That said, my day job is only tolerable because the team I work with is awesome. I'm very lucky in that sense. But if I could sustain myself as an indie game developer, that would be my dream.

@Crow616 Thank you. That actually means a lot.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:180381
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.