Agnostic.com

34 8

Can't stand constantly barking, hyper little dogs

All dog owners need to train their dogs to behave. One Welsh Corgi kept jumping up on me, gouging long, bloody scratches on my bare shins.

"DOWN, dammit!" I said. "She's just saying hi," the owner said lamely.

"She's a herding dog," men say. These dogs stop abruptly in front of me, making me trip. Several times, I nearly fell off a cliff.

I broke up with two men because of their constantly barking, out-of-control little dogs. Both men insisted on taking the dogs hiking. Their dogs fouled waterways with poop, chased and harassed wildlife, and scared other hikers.

During a backpacking trip to the Wallowa Mountains of NE Oregon, one man's Welsh Corgi barked at every leaf that fell. It stopped in front of me, frequently tripping me. Finally, I insisted he tie the dog to his belt with a rope. (He had no leash.) Watched with amusement as it jerked him all over the trail.

I dropped far behind to get away from the constant, shrill barking. Blissful quiet.

That night, he insisted the dog sleep in the tent. All night long, that dog barked at every snap and crackle in the woods, every leaf that fell. I got zero sleep. By morning, I had a plan: kill him and then the dog. But he had the map and knew the way, so he was safe. (kidding)

"She likes your smell,” people say. Stop making excuses. Keep your dogs off my pillow and away from my clothes.

I grew up with two large, gentle, obedient Labrador Retrievers. Lady won the Michigan State Dog Obedience Championship twice. Our dogs were never allowed on furniture. We told Lady "down, stay" and she stayed down until released.

Attacked and Injured by eight dogs

While hiking and snowshoeing, I have been attacked and injured by eight unleashed dogs. None of the dog owners apologized. It took six months for my knee to heal after one dog attack.

Now I feel terrified of strange dogs on the trail.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have the same problem with children. Just search and replace the word dog with kid and I could have written this.

Hey! Children are ok. It all depends on how you cook them.

@bigpawbullets yuk - too toxic !

I just blocked a man who called me a "shrill bitch" in response to this post. He must have a constantly barking, out-of-control little dog or two.

Poof! - his mean comment disappeared. He can no longer see or reply to my posts. Perfect.

No not a shrill bitch just a woman who does not want noisey dogs all around I understand! Had a girlfreind with yorkies noisey little crappy dogs. My sister in law had some that would bark all the time.

His (her?) loss. - - ran across the same on this post from a girl that looks like a guy.

@Bendog

Hiking Goddess = HG?

Thanks, darling!

I find your gripes to be absolutely right on, and completely justified

Don’t blame me. Cat person.

They don't train their dogs because

1. They don't know how
  2. They're lazy. It's easier to ignore it and blame someone else for their dog's bad behavior
  3. Their dogs are inbred nut cases, too berserk to be easily trained at all.
  4. They don't care about wildlife, and think everyone loves their pets despite abundance evidence to the contrary. Like people are about their obnoxious children.
  5. I don't even consider men who have obnoxious dogs they allow to run their lives. I make exceptions for calm, dignified animals, like the beautiful German pointer owned by a man I dated one summer.
    I mostly dated him because he had a speed boat, and we lived near Cave Run Lake..
  6. Irony..I had five dogs..mostly rescues dumped on my farm. All were highly trained and obedient. I could hike with them off leash and they were trained to walk single file a certain distance behind me, and to sink silently into the grass the instant I raised my birding camera. If I stopped to climb a tree, which I did daily as a cheap climbing wall substitute, one hand signal and they all lay on the ground and didn't move until I came down the tree.

Pics: My toy fox terrier, a rescue wheaten terrier mix, a rescue chow mix waiting under an oak tree while I climb it, with my hand-raised mitred conure parrot allowed to play in the branches as well.

Dicipline and consideration for others. A dogs behavior tells alot about its owner.

Hear, Hear. Well said.

This is why I prefer cats.

Much like proud parents, proud dog owners think their dog's barking is beautiful and others' dogs barking is noise. Two bicycle riders approached me once on a trail that had numerous signs saying dogs must be on a leash. My Doberman look alike was on a leash and walking close by my side. Their spaniel was running loose and rushed up and attacked my dog. I whacked it on the head with my walking stick which made it cry out and slink off. The male rider circled back but only half way and shouted "Don't hit my dog". I shouted back "Come on over here. It was you I wanted to hit." He turned and kept going but did not leash his dog. Some people (A lot of people) think the rules are not for them.

@Donwhy

You're right. Many people believe the rules don't apply to them. Selfish assholes.

I have a stepson who doesn't realize he is a selfish asshole. 32 years old and he has a super active pit bull he does not take the trouble to train. He left the dog on my deck and the dog destroyed all four of my screen doors digging to get in. The best I got was "Sorry, dude." I sent him a bill for the screens. He hasn't paid,and the dog has not been back.

Most dogs are not well trained. I work in the pet industry. The most number of dogs I’ve worked with by myself at one time was 51. I’ve dealt with everything: constant barking, jumping, escape artists, fighting, aggression, fear, anxiety, fear aggression, destructive behaviour, lack of house training, extreme high energy, total lack of manners. I’ve been bitten numerous times. I’ve come home from work with scratches, cuts, wounds, busted lips, busted knees, bruises everywhere, black eye. I’ve been in a couple of situations where I thought I might not escape with my life. I’m used to all this though and don’t think it’s a big deal. I’ve also been able to tune out all the barking. Still, it would be nice if people put a bit of effort to get proper training for their dogs and not just baby them.

That said, I can’t say my own 4 dogs are the best but they were dogs with behavioural issues when I rescued them. Training is ongoing. They can get pretty rowdy when people come to visit but then again I prefer it that way. I don’t like people visiting my house. I do roughhouse with my dogs, play hard and crazy with them. They are allowed on the furniture and they sleep on my bed. If people don’t like that then they are not invited to my house and certainly not invited to my bed.

We live with two cats and.....
ZORAK! THE WONDER DOG!!!
German Shepherd we got as a pup. Trained by the WPAFB security canine unit. He doesn't bark, jump on people, growl, snarl, or misbehave around strangers. Unless he deems you a threat to his 'pack'. Then, it's a very ugly scene.

Any constantly barking or jumping dog is annoying and poorly trained. I used to dog sit my nephew's dogs once a year for a week and they were so well behaved for me, accepting me as their 2nd pack leader. As soon as my nephew would return and I would say you know better, they would look his way and then with his nod start jumping around again.

Are you averse to whacking the little buggers with your hiking stick? I'm an ardent dog lover, have two quiet, well-behaved Shih Tzus I often get complimented on because they're so good; but loose dogs on the trail are a whole 'nother matter, as they say. I've been nipped and chased by them, too, but on a bike it's easier to leave them behind. I always scold the owners who let their dogs go leashless; it's bad for the dog, as well, but these people are too stupid to understand that, with a few exceptions.

@Condor5

When one shrill, little barking dog charged me while hiking, I raised my poles over my head, making myself as big as possible.

"ROARWWW!" I hollered, running at the little dog. The dog yipped, turned tail, and ran back to its owner.

That worked.

Small skull = tiny brain.

That is why wolves are so much smarter, and safer (look up deaths by wolves and death by dogs and you start to wonder why some people get to hunt wolves)

I actually had a person berate me because I was sitting outside in my front yard with my dog leashed. They felt that since I was outside, the dog should be unleashed. My dog is a shiba inu. These dogs are known to be obstinate, willful assholes. Delila is one of the sweetest dogs I know, but she'll bolt if she has the chance. Luckily I now have a fence around my large yard so she can roam all over confined.

Delila also doesn't bark unless she believes that we're in danger. Unfortunately, she believes bicycles and big rigs are the devil's spawn, but other than that she only barks when someone/something (cats) come in the yard.

Cool dogs. Need leashes worse than most lol.

I can train most dogs in just a few minutes to stop jumping on people, that is unless they are incredibly stupid. Dog jumps, I immediately drop my full body weight on the dog, pinning it to the floor (not hurting it at all, but making it very uncomfortable). All the time you are explaining to the pinned dog that it is not appropriate to jump on people. "No, don't jump, BAD DOG!" Clamp your hand over the dog's mouth if necessary if they try to interrupt you with whining. Repeat until the dog decides that jumping on people is just not worth that trip to the mat. Just the words are sufficient. A lot of people don't want their precious mutts to be uncomfortable, I just won't tolerate a dog jumping on me...especially from behind.

@GuyKeith

That's amazing.

While hiking, walking tall and strong without looking at dogs is effective. I don't stop.

When a strange dog approaches, I vigorously swing my hiking poles, crossing them at my feet. Dogs back off.

It's scary when an aggressive dog runs toward me, growling.

Karen carries bear spray. "Get behind me," she says. Thank you, Karen.

@LiterateHiker Yeah, with strange dogs, that's a totally different situation. I hate visiting people who just will not train their dogs. I have one lady friend who I really think a lot of, but I can't stand to go over there because of 2 totally untrained POMERANIANS. They never stop barking and jumping and are not even totally house-broken. So, I just stay away, and she knows very well why.

Thanks for that advice. I have a mini aussie who is very smart but very strung. I will try this method. I've also used a squirt bottle to squirt his face with water when he barks and its working wonders.

Cat guys are better.............

I used to live near a small pond, which I'd do running laps around every now and then. Someone's large, loose dog, from a house nearby, started waiting in the bushes - not near their house, and as I came around it would lunge menacingly - with teeth bared, fully ready to bite. After a few of these events, one day I found a rather sizable rock, and this time, when the dog lunged, I was ready, and smashed down on his tender nose. He yelped once, and ran. I'm sure I hurt him, and may have even broken a bone.
I adore animals, and was sorry he had to pay for his owners negligence. Damn.

I feel the same way about dogs, as I do about children. If they haven't been trained/disciplined well, and are unpleasant to be around, get 'em away from me - or I'll be sure to get me away from them !

Having a living thing in your care involves more than simply feeding it !

Last Spring, I was startled when a man suddenly grabbed my shoulders and pulled me against him, on a narrow trail with a steep drop-off. (I didn't mind because he was handsome with a hard, muscular body. Mmm...)

Immediately his large dog roughly pushed by on the inside of the trail, running downhill. I was heading uphill, leading my group.

"I wanted to stop you from being pushed over the cliff by my dog," he explained and released me. I thanked him. He was right. His dog would have shoved me over the cliff.

Although I appreciate his gallantry, why didn't he control his dog? That's his job. Put the dog on a short leash and stop it, to let people safely pass.

"Dogs must be leashed or under firm voice control," Forest Service regulations say. This is too squishy.

At lunch, my female hiking partners said my Knight in Shining Armor was usually an asshole. They know him.

That is bullshit. A dog is a dog. Even the most disciplined will react unpredictably to unexpected occurrences. If you care about your dog, you'll keep it leashed and close.

No dog is ever 100% obedient.

@JimG

Exactly.

I felt worried about people behind me. His running, large dog could shove others off the cliff.

With a steep drop-off, they could be killed.

I can definitely see your problem here, I have two dogs but they're well trained and I never walk without a leash.
The one that barks continuously live down the street ?

i don't hike anymore; i used to hike around on mountainsides in japan and they're not big on walking their dogs, so i never really ran into them there. dogs have always liked me and i have always liked them, despite my being more of a cat person. dogs run up to me not barking but wagging, licking, loving. i have one hyper little dog and she doesn't bark much. she usually barks when the biggest cat stops kissing her. she likes kitty kisses and is insatiable. he loves to kiss her, sometimes putting an arm around her when he gets really serious and bathes her, but he eventually stops and she begs for more. she does bark in her sleep sometimes but it just sounds like little hiccups. i didn't set out to get this type of dog but it happened and now i love her. she is crazy about me (and the cats) too. i admit she is hyper and she does jump up to get attention and be petted but she holds still once she is being petted. she's not perfect but she's a good girl.

g

I don't like dogs, period. Being a runner and jogger I've been threatened and snarled at enough of them that I just ignore them whatever the situation, including around dog gushing owners. Barking muts of all sizes drive me crazy. You walk into someone's house, bark, bark, bark. You jog past someone's house legally, bark, bark, bark. You walk down the street, bark, bark, bark. Any excuse, bark, bark, bark. And then there are those people who look like their dogs. Mean and unkempt. Not to mention the ladies walking around with a big dog, basically a male substitute. The list goes on.

Not a huge dog fan either. Growing up on a farm, our dog was an outside dog. I don't get the big dog indoors thing. And holy gods I cannot stand the hovering. My cats hover enough.

Remi Level 7 Sep 25, 2018

@Gooniesnvrdie My 100 lbs St. Bernard mix, 80 lbs German shepherd mix, my 75 lbs boxer mix, and my 40 lbs Boston terrier mix are all indoor dogs. They are my babies and no way they live outside. They share the couch with me and my bed too. Humans can stay outside.

@Gooniesnvrdie yeah, it's changed a lot since I was a kid, now it's weird to see dogs that live outside though there are still some working dogs on farms that do. Ours was a German shepherd equipped with the fur for outdoor living and she had a dog house. She had acres and acres to roam over.

Maybe you need to get tough. Take some pepper spray and any unleashed dog that comes at you let it have it. My late partner went after these people no matter how big they were. I was sometimes more afraid being around her in public areas than the dogs. She was all of 5'0" and weighed a whopping 100 lbs. It's not the size of the body but the size of the mouth.

I do agree, small dogs and their constant yipping at every little thing gets old after about the first minute and a half.

Got a buddy of mine with three damned dachshunds, and while I do love them (they are animals) They have also played a heavy hand into why I'd never want to own a small dog ever.

They yip at every-damned-thing, are nigh impossible to house-train, and love nothing more than to run around your feet and stop suddenly like little furry deathtraps. They are cute as fuck though, but I'd never want one as my own.

Unfortunately, it's not only small dogs, but bored dogs, dominating dogs, dumb dogs etc. And these might be any size !

dogs should not be loose! Herding dogs need training. The only ones to be loose are Livestock gaurdian dogs and unless you are messing with their animals will just bark

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186222
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.