Agnostic.com

69 5

Does a ring really matter?

Edit: Wow, this post has really gotten a lot of attention. Everyone has given good advice, and I will consider both sides in order to keep the peace. However, right now the ring is the least of my worries as I am deciding whether to try to salvage my marriage like he wants, or become independent (or single....whatever). Thanks for all the replies!

When I got married a billion years ago, I bought the only ring I could afford. It's nice, but also gold....I can't stand gold anymore. I had quit wearing it anyway because it had gotten too tight (okay I gained weight but whatever), so I swapped it out for a ring my sister had given me that I really love. Hubby got all upset that I was wearing that one instead of "my original wedding ring". I said, "What if I had lost the original one?" He said something about how that's different and we would both go pick out something (I picked the "original" one on my own, so why would that matter now?)

So I paid to have the "original" ring resized and am wearing it now to appease him, but I still don't like it. Thoughts from the married (or once married) side?

VelociraptorRemy 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The ring is symbolic. If the symbolism isn't important, then the ring isn't important. Are you wearing a symbol or a shackle? If it's a rusty piece of wire or a diamond encrusted platinum band... Does it really matter what material or if it's the original?

the thing is the symbol of the other thing.

the importance you project on the thing is reflective of the importance you project on the other thing, combined with your belief in the symbology of the thing.

the same is true of him.

if you don't like the original ring, and he believes that the symbol is important, then you have a conflict.

he offered a potential resolution when he suggested that you pick out a replacement together, but you rejected it as meaningless.

this is what your post says. I have no advice, other than to read what I have put here a few times and think about why you reject that symbol, and his proposed method of replacement, so easily.

Never had a ring

In my opinion, if you don't like it don't wear it.

As long as you are wearing a ring on your wedding finger, your husband should be happy. If he wants to buy you a ring that you like better than the one you're wearing, that could be a compromise, but why make that expense? What's the difference? If you are considering it to be your wedding ring, then that's all that matters. The symbolism of the ring is whatever you are attaching to it.

When I got married (seems a billion years ago) I had picked out my ring, and we bought it together, along with his which he picked out and didn't go together with mine in the least bit, but we each were happy with the rings. Fast forward a couple of decades, and my ring had lost 2 of the 9 diamonds in it, yet I still wore it, as I felt it would be wrong to take it off. However, after an abusive outburst by my husband, I took the ring off and left it on the bathroom counter, as a sign that things had changed permanently. Never wore it again. I wore no ring for a while, but I had a visible tan line and indentation, so I bought myself a new ring, which I wore in place of my wedding ring. I called it my Freedom Ring as I had begun to put plans in motion to leave the marriage. I knew what it was, but to others it appeared everything was okay in my marriage.

Left my marriage years ago now, but that indentation on my ring finger is still there, like a scar, but the absence of a ring is a symbol to myself of my independence. Since you are wearing a ring on your wedding finger, and consider it to be an improvement over the ring that no longer fits or suits you, hopefully your husband can be understanding. Would he rather you wear no ring at all? BTW - a wedding ring is NOT necessary in a happy marriage. I marry lots of couples who choose not to exchange or wear rings. It's your attitude toward your marriage that keeps you together, not a piece of jewelry.

It seems important to him. Do you see a compromise that you can live with that honors both of your feelings?

For anyone looking for a mate it is nice to be able to tell at a distance who is taken.

Mine was meant to be a symbol of love, unity etc etc, it turned out to be nothing of the kind, so for me the answer would be no

Why not go pick out a new ring together now? He feels a certain way about the ring, you have no opposition to wearing a ring, you just don't like that ring. Go get a new ring together...

If you don't like the ring you have to the degree that you don't want to wear it, then don't. It's your body. If it's important enough to your spouse that you wear a ring to show you are married to him, then he should take you out and buy you a ring that you would enjoy wearing. That's the least he can do if he's going to insist you wear one.

Deb57 Level 8 Sep 25, 2018

we do things for each other. we compromise. there is no intrinsic meaning to the ring; it's a ring. it obviously means something to him. it might be about religion; it might not. it might be about tradition; it might not. it isn't necessarily slavery to groupthink. it might be. if you want to know what it means to him, ask him! tell him what it means, or doesn't, to you, too... but you've already decided to compromise to make him happy. that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

g

Symbols, ritual, religion. I have no need for any of those to give me confidence in the fidelity of my wife. To me, the marriage pact is made between the individuals involved and its strongest element is called trust. Trust does not come from the wearing of a ring which is a tribal-think symbol for "this is mine." You might as well be wearing iron panties for which only HE has the key. I think it rather odd that I have never heard of men being required to wear chastity belts. Must be a man thing.

I do not own my wife. I don't piss on the corners of our property to mark my territory. I consider my wife her own person with all the rights afforded to anyone, anywhere. She has her own circle of friends and, yes, many of them are other men. I love her in the romantic sense. I also love her in the sense that she deserves the respect she earns by being who she is and not who I would like her to be. I trust her implicitly. I have had the good fortune to also be with a woman who accords me the same. We are both free, and that is the strongest bond there is.

My wife's ring stopped fitting years ago. Since then she has worn a verity of rings which once belonged to long dead relatives whom we both loved. I know she wears these rings in memory for us both and she still honors our marriage by wearing these other rings on her left ring finger. Kind a twofer!

Depends who you ask PRECIOUS ..... ?

I guess it changes from person to person. It doesn't mean anything to me, I know damn well who am I married to, ring or no ring ?

I think like a lot of things with our view of marriage in this Society nowadays we are holding on to objects like a ring instead of nurturing and developing trust I say ditch the ring. If he gets upset about you not wearing the ring it's a perfect time to bring up trust issues LOL My in my practices a handfasting ceremony is family tradition. We tie each partners hands together for a week and or a month to learn every aspect of each other's lives hand in hand. And most of the time there's no piece of jewelry that represents the bond.

BkCAT Level 4 Sep 25, 2018

Mine was smashed while I was wearing it. After about 2 years, I was finally able to remove it and take it to a jeweler, who told me there was no fixing it. Occasionally, I look for a replacement, but in the meantime, don't wear a ring and she isn't bothered. We both know it's purely symbolic.

I know it's purely symbolic.....he apparently doesn't understand symbolism, as he believes a good portion of the bible, including the fables/myths of the flood, job, and jonah (but I love him anyway.....I just don't want to be married to him anymore).

@VelociraptorRemy Even at some ceremonies I've attended, they say that the ring is a symbol. Sorry to hear yours is a one-sided relationship.

The ring dissatisfaction might be a subconscious symptom of your rejection of the marriage.

I used to be that way, removing and throwing my wedding ring across the room when I wasn't paying attention. I was religious at the time, so was puzzled, and tried to stop this from happening but in the end I dumped the marriage, and the relief was wonderful.

That does make sense, because it didn't really start to bother me until I started seeing myself as a free agent and got frustrated because I wasn't.

I lost 2 rings (not wedding) because I hate the feeling of wetness under the ring when I wash my hands (weird, I know), so I took them off to dry my hands and forgot them in a public restroom. So now I just don't wear even my wedding ring. The wife understands.

I could see how he might take it as a sign of dissatisfaction with the marriage. I would think that if you explained that would be OK.

Did explain it...didn't help. And I am dissatisfied with the marriage, but not because of the ring. But thanks for the advice.....for some men that might be the case ?

" I sold my Camaro so I could buy the ring,"
This post starts and ends right there.

I know right!? Well to be fair, it was a project car that I didn't have the money to fix up and had been sitting in my parents' yard for over a year, so......

I am married but almost never wear a ring. Watches, rings and the like annoy me to no end. My wife lost my first ring and now if I am going out I will wear a cheap one I got for like 5 bucks. It all depends on who has what hangups.

Cultural symbols are generally harmless.

Prior to my separation, I had to remove both my wedding and engagement rings due to severe dermatitis . Think perhaps it was symptomatic of the state of my relationship.I am now husband , ring and dermatitis free!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186782
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.