Agnostic.com

98 14

Atheist = Depressed?

It seems to me that a relevant number of people i this community are depressed and/or suicidal. It seems the percentage over the total exceeds the average overall population. Do you think it’s true? If -like myself- you also believe it to be true, do you think lack of religion or spiritual fulfillment leads to higher chance of depression? Do you think lack of belief in a higher being leads to depression or the other way around?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lucignolo 6 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

98 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheist = liberated.

Religion is a lie. I’m happier choosing truth over comfortable lies. Nonetheless, there’s a price to pay.

For what it's worth, I am an atheist and I am not depressed. Even after hearing another day's sad news of America's involvement in Yemen and the state of the world's ice and the corals dying and plastic in the marine food chain I am not depressed. Hearing that the President's poll numbers, even after all his inane antics over the last two years, are essentially where they were when he got elected is both scary and some would say depressing but I am not depressed. Amazed, yes. Angry, yup. Worried? Oh yeah! But depressed? Not!

?

That's an easy question.... No

I will say I have clinical depression, its not because of my lack of belief, as when I was religious I was still depressed.

Personally, I am happier as an atheist than I ever was as a theist. However, I can understand how a family split between theists and atheists could become a source of depression. Being a person of integrity, true to oneself, is a beautiful thing, but it can also be a wedge between oneself, and loved ones who remain on the other side of the divide.

As for me, I choose my personal integrity. I am also willing to allow my loved ones to believe what they wish. I did not reject my family. They rejected me. The destruction of my family was their fault; not mine. My conscience is clean.

Great! Thanks for your contribution

Nope. I like making my life my own. It's wonderful to be able to think for myself.

While I don't believe in the supernatural (God never looked after me as a child and allowed my father to abuse all of us children) I do believe in many good things about humanity, and my own good sense to achieve freedom and safety.

During my early days of asserting my atheism, it was depressing that many family members couldn't understand my choice to leave religion, and made my life very difficult. The challenge to be strong during that time, and the horrible meanness by my religious family members and in-laws was not going to break me, but only made me stronger.

The lack of support and community made those days difficult, but with the help of books and the early days of the internet, I found a community, mostly online, and a few friends in real life as well, who understand my way of thinking. For example, I'm glad this discussion board exists. Before that I was a member of another discussion board, that gave me a sense of community, a congregation of folks who think like me, but from whom I can learn and also share what I know from my experience.

While I do spend a lot of time on this site, I do so in order to get the feeling of community I'm missing by feeling like an outsider at times, surrounded by people who believe in the supernatural, and I need some grounding. I believe having this community (in part) saves me from the depression I used to feel from time to time.

Belief in humanity, honing that belief and continuing to learn ways to understand the complexities of society is helpful in warding off depression. I think belief in nothing, might be depressing, but choosing some way to believe in the overall goodness of humanity is a positive.

It's the opposite for me. I'm happier after escaping religion.

My lack of a belief in god is a source of comfort to me, not the opposite. The only time I experience depression is when some external situation creates hardship for me. My default setting is "basically happy."

Deb57 Level 8 Nov 16, 2018

We are not depressed as a group and it is because we are not confined by religion.

This is nonsense... Maybe those already depressed turn away from god... Thus becoming atheist not by choice but by anti choice of religion...

444 studies, 178 of which methodologically rigorous, is nonsense to you?

@Lucignolo yup

@Cutiebeauty Sadly being atheist also doesn’t increase the likelihood of being smart ?

My depression was directly related to my marriage. I felt like myself once the decision to get divorced was made and action taken.

I think the truth or certainly the truth as I see it that there is no religion can be depressing. But it can also mean freedom to make your own choices

I provided many articles and links. Just look at the comments. I found many, many articles and studies. Here’s is a significant example.

[ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

It’s a review based on two systematic reviews. Total articles reviewed were 444. 178 of which were methodologically rigorous studies. 61% of studies found atheists are more likely to be depressed vs 6%. Atheists also seem more likely to commit suicide.

You win with the research page. it does seem that religious beliefs insulate some people from depression. It is known that people that do not have as much as self-bias about life. it seems realists are less happy. [psychologytoday.com]

I feel loved as a person and I have enough, know enough, and know I am loved enough I have a lot of fun and a lit of challenges but not about your options more about what direction I wish to go in and how t do it .I have never had a god. I think it all depends upon a persons capacity to love the life they live /or change it

I think it's a lack of constant ego boost and less community to, also, boost our sense of well-being.
I say that as someone who meets mostly single, alone atheists.

It all depends whether you have found a natural source of the endorphin religious people overdose on.

I think you are reading into something. I do not see this happening on this site. Yes people can share their pain and hurt and I see that as good, unlike you, you see disaster. You must get some faith in the world and believe it is all fine, Now when it comes to depression under the belief of god, we see child molestation, lies allowing more guilt and most importantly taking away the ability to think as a real human would. I would venture to say, no research done on my part, that depression among the religious is seriously causing humanity to loose focus on what is necessary and not. God is not necessary to be a good person. Not at all.

EMC2 Level 8 Oct 25, 2018

I suggest you take a look at the figures of the so-called "faithful" who are clinically depressed. Much higher than in the non-believing community! Why, because they have to daily falsify their lives and expectations around a silent sky.

No data exist that link atheism with depression.

And you say that because you’ve done your research? If you had you’d know there is plenty of data, but different studies have reached sometimes opposite conclusions. That doesn’t mean the hypothesis isn’t worth investigating, quite the opposite. It means it’s a complex subject that requires investigation.

Did you bother to even check if your statement was correct before reaching a verdict? Obviously you simply stated what you like to believe and dismissed anything that may prove you wrong. Congratulations, you’ve acted like a religious apologetic.

@Lucignolo Your arrogant, defensive response is laughable. Cite me significant and scientifically valid studies which link atheism with depre4ssion and give the title of the study and the journal in which it was published, along with the publication date. As an atheist since my 20s, I always found freedom from religion freeing and positive, rather than depressing. I find it difficult to believe those most people feel otherwise.

@wordywalt There is a MOUNTAIN of evidence and articles. I don’t have time to list many, I’m guessing you don’t trust me nor believe me. Buy access to MEDLINE database on published studies and you’ll find many many many references and studies on the subject.

@wordywalt so what now? Are you going to say sorry?

@wordywalt

From a well known atheist website, in case you think I’m biased: [friendlyatheist.patheos.com]?

[google.com]

[adherents.com]?

All these don’t prove it’s dedini true. There are articles that state the opposite. It’s a very interesting controversial subject. What’s not interesting is a priori denial.

@Lucignolo The titles of several of the studies appear to be irrelevant to the topic, and I would have to read the others for me to be satisfied of the validity of their methodology and conclusions. Unfortunately, at age 81, I no longer read well. I would opine that religion, itself, leads to more depression than atheism.

@Lucignolo @wordywait
Here is a review of religious and spiritual factors in depression from 2012. In case someone doesn't know, a review discusses all relevant research. There doesn't seems to be any conclusion that atheism and depression are linked. There are factors both directions. [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

@Stephanie99 First, thanks for sharing. Great resource. Your contribution alone plus some others were worth getting all the hate I received for posting this question. Some people have really provided amazing and useful insights or information. You are one of them, thank you.

But the conclusion of the study reads and I quote: “in the majority of studies, everything else being equal, Religious/Spiritual involvement is related to less depression, particularly in the context of life stress. The systematic review discussed above indicates many more studies show possible benefits from R/S compared to those that show possible harm (61% versus 6% of studies).”

How can you call 61% vs 6% “factors in both directions”? I still wouldn’t choose a comforting lie over truth, but it’s hard to deny there’s comfort in religion that’s harder to find in objective reality.

@Stephanie99 Thanks!

@Lucignolo The 61% vs 6% is number of studies. It doesn't take into account the number of subjects in the studies, who did them, how well they were done etc.

Interesting that you leave out this quote "a number of high-quality studies show that R/S involvement may increase the risk of depression in certain populations (those with family problems) or may worsen the prognosis of depression (a single study in substance abusers).

It is important to try to be objective when doing research. It is easy to just find what you are looking for.

@Stephanie99 Oh I had simply missed that.

I’m not arguing in favor or against. I wrote many times in this post that it’s a controversial subject.

I honestly don’t know the answer. If I was to guess I’d say that neither increases likelihood of depression, but for people that become depressed, religion may be an additional coping mechanisms (on top of the many available) that’s not available to atheists. Belief is one coping mechanisms, to which community and support should be added. Feeling loved and having a sense of belonging can certainly help.

I still wouldn’t switch truth with comfort.

@Stephanie99 And it’s not the number of studies. It’s cumulative results.

“Of the 178 most methodologically rigorous studies, 119 (67%) find inverse relationships between R/S and depression. Religious beliefs and practices may help people to cope better with stressful life circumstances, give meaning and hope, and surround depressed persons with a supportive community.”

@Lucignolo Other studies for which I don't feel like finding links have shown that it's the community. We secularists need to work on that.

@Stephanie99 i agree 100%

I see many amazing answers! Thanks!! I am also saddened by the amount of ignorance and superficiality that many people display with some answers to this and other questions I posed.

It saddens me to see that atheism doesn’t always come with openness and intelligence. Many people here display the same limitations, intolerance and ignorance seen in many religious communities.

For me atheism came as a point in a journey towards seeking the truth. It’s not an arrival point. I don’t derive any arrogance and stay humble. Right in this moment, I’m wrong about many things I have no idea about. And so are you.

Here many people think they have it all figured out and the arrogance they derive from it is an embarrassment. Same amount of arrogance proudly shown by some apologetics and religious fundamentalists.

i very much believe it NOT to be true. i don't think we're any more depressed than anyone else, and observing that one group has a certain percentage of depressed people does not indicate its relationship to the percentage applicable to the general population. on what basis do you think we're more depressed than theists? i've never seen an iota of evidence of this. i do not think lack of belief in a higher being leads to depression, nor do i think depression leads to the lack of belief in a higher being. it's not an either-or. it's a neither.

i myself am clinically depressed. i was depressed BEFORE i realized there were not gods. i awoke during eye surgery at the age of three. i have ptsd as a result of this (and some other factors also not related to religion). i know plenty of depressed people. some believe in a deity; some do not.

g

I’m not sure there is any evidence. There’s evidence that shows drug induced mystical experiences (and even not drug induced) can significantly reduce depression. The same results are true when those drugs are administered to atheists as far as I know. They simply work.

It’s not just chemistry. When those drugs are administered but don’t produce a mistycal experience, patients are a lot less likely to benefit.

Religions have claimed ownership over mystical experiences, so we atheists dismiss them altogether. I don’t knew. I don’t expect to find the answer here, but I thought it’s be interesting to ask. Many of you feel insulted I even dared to ask.

I don’t make any claims. I asked a question.

@Lucignolo you said "It seems to me that a relevant number of people i this community are depressed and/or suicidal. It seems the percentage over the total exceeds the average overall population." this isn't a claim? it's fine to ask but that is NOT all you did. i'm not insulted that you asked. i'm not even insulted that you made a claim with which i disagree. i do disagree with it, though.

g

@genessa yes, true. I stated my impression, but I didn’t present it as factual. I said, This is my impression, do you think it’s correct? You asked for evidence, and I never stated there was any. I was basing my presumption on several posts I ran into of suicidal people and based on many people speaking about their depression. I understand it proves nothing.

Your obviously felt strongly about me even daring to propose such a question or insinuating there might be a correlation between lack of belief and depression.

As a matter of fact there are studies on the subject, but I didn’t investigate their soundness and results conflict among different studies.

I personally don’t think atheism causes depression, but coping with it may be different for an atheist vs a religious person. Also, there is strong evidence on mystical experiences and their capacity to improve addiction, depression and other conditions. Mystical experiences say nothing about the existence of god, but it’s a tool we atheists have pushed aside that could have value.

As you can see, it’s not a silly subject, and dismissing it is a mistake.

@Lucignolo i feel strongly about you? i have no feelings about you at all. i don't know you. my strong feelings may be obvious to you, but they don't actually exist, so your perceptions are once more skewed. i don't know, either, where you get the impression that atheists have pushed aside the tool of the mystical experience. can you back THAT up, or are you immune from having to explain anything because you didn't swear to it on... oh wait, i was going to say a bible lol.

as for dealing with depression, i have no evidence, nor have you presented any, that coping with depression is any more different for the believer and the nonbeliever than it is for any two people, apart from the believer's possible reliance on prayer or faith; everyone is different.

i think as subjects go it's being presented here in a careless manner and i dismiss your premise, yes. that doesn't mean i have strong feelings about you. i gave neither you nor the topic a nanosecond of thought after responding until i saw i had a notification.

g

@genessa Wow... I’m surprised you are an atheist because your reasoning doesn’t look very sound to me. I wrote: “you have strong feelings about me even daring to pose such a question”.

English is only one of my second languages, as I’m from Italy, but it’s obvious you either don’t bother to read full sentences or don’t understand grammar. The sentence means you have strong feelings towards THE QUESTION I posed, NOT ME. I am not the question.

I provided a lot of evidence to back up the claim, but again you didn’t bother to read. So here I go AGAIN:

[google.com]

[adherents.com]?

[friendlyatheist.patheos.com]?

[forums.osmihelp.org]?

Did you bother to read any of them. Of course not. You just type what you like to believe and stick to it no matter what. Sounds familiar, misplaced apologetic?

@genessa Yes, many atheists are also not spiritual with many exceptions. Generally speaking most atheists are fond of seeking the truth through science and evidence, not experiences. Atheists are usually skeptics, so claims concerning truths that can’t be backed up by evidence or objective observation aren’t usually accepted by most atheists. Aliens abductions, visions, trance states, mystical experiences, and such, all fall into a category of subjective claims that can’t be proven. So what you are saying is that I need to prove that it’s true that atheists generally don’t accept those claims or the truths discovered through those experiences? It’s like asking me to prove that believers believe in a god.

No, I’m not doing that or backing that one up. It’s obvious within the definition of atheists and skeptics. In order to have a conversation some common obvious ground must be agreed upon, otherwise any word will require backup. Are you saying atheists in general are inclined to spirituality and mystical experiences? Are you saying atheists in general are inclined towards the supernatural? Mystical experiences are classified as such, they supposedly uncover truths about human consciousness, the essence of reality, the universe. Those truths are discovered through the experience (hence the name mystical EXPERIENCES) and not objective data. Are you truly stating I need to prove atheists and mystical experiences generally speaking don’t go hand in hand?

You didn’t give the topic a nanosecond of thought? Maybe you should have since you have such strong faith in your opinions despite having no actual idea or knowledge on the subject. Claiming knowledge and making assumptions on a subject based on one’s own biases and presumptions is called ignorance.

Good luck

@Lucignolo no rock here. and i know nastiness when i see it. 'bye.

g

Atheism = Depression, what a frigging load of utter, unadulterated frog shit.

Er, out of curiosity HOW many MASS Suicides, like Jonestown, etc, have been recorded where ONLY Atheists/Agnostics have killed themselves and how many have involved Theists/believers?

Ok. Glad you know everything. Maybe you are god and we are all mistaken?? ??

@Lucignolo My dear Sir, has no-one ever told that sarcasm IS the lowest form of wit?

what it all amounts to in that article is that a large % of americans were conned into depending on religion to improve their standard of living whereas the scandinavians didn't buy into that BS & were able to prevent the greedy, sociopathic elites from increasing income inequality anywhere near the obscene levels now seen in the US.
as Napoleon said: 'we need religion to keep the poor from killing the rich'.

Very interesting @skado!! Thank you!!

@callmedubious yes... That’s a great article. There are many more and not all have the same results. It’s a complex subject.

I don't think so.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:206336
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.