Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel you...

As a former believer I can only say patience, respect and perseverence is key. They are not just here to preach, they probably have something to prove to themselves if they throw themselves into harm's way in "the lair of unbelief"...

The bible thumpers rarely hang out in the "funny cat photos" section of this app which is where you'll probably find me...

I agree. I don't want to be preached out by anyone about anything. Just discuss and learn.

As long as they can be respectful, I say yes. This place should be safe for people like me who rarely, if ever, get to speak out about their beliefs for fear of threats and social punishments. We should be respectful towards them, as well.

As I have said in previous posts....more or less, so long as fundamentalism, doesn't enter into it....who am I to argue?

RonB Level 5 Apr 25, 2018

I can in real life and in this community as well as the Facebook community, and the IMVU 3D Social Media Community have any number of conversations and not chat about religion, belief system, or racism. I am an activist. I fight causes for humanity, animals wild or tame, water life, and our planet. I fight for humanity, not against it. As I said before, your information when I looked into joining welcomes all beliefs. After I joined, person after person has attempted to put some kind of label on me. I do not run around in real life labeled. I do not go to church. I do not discuss my belief system in any conversation. I either am accepted that way or I leave. Now they have all these fights. When they start fighting in a room, I quit and I don't join again. My peace of mind is more important than trying to convince anyone what they should or shouldn't believe. As an activist for humanity, I feel I do not have the right to judge anyone. I say you going Hitler in here? Kill off everyone who isn't a disbeliever? I think they will invade as undercover and still their will be fights. The Simple thing is to allow those who are whatever to have a room they feel comfortable in. That way then you don't need to be in the Christian room fighting and the atheists can have their own room where they are happy. I will go to neither. Simply because I respect all humanity's rights and I hate negativity.

I never joined Agnostics.com for it to be an echo chamber for people who share the same views as me. What's the point of that? I want to leave each session on here with something to think about... it's called growth. I'm very open to talking to theists. They don't often give me food for thought, in fact they more often than not re-inforce negetive sterotypes.

One of my favorite drinking buddies is a Anglican Priest - we concentrate on the things that unite us rather than the clear water over religion. You'd be surprised at how many things we agree on.

As long as people are respectful, I'm ok with that.

It took me 3-4 years to fully abandon religion, a place like this to discuss my thoughts and feelings would have been awesome as I was exploring what I'd be like without Jesus.

I would recommend ignoring the people that annoy you and follow the ones that you can converse with.

Anyone can be blocked, if you find them offensive! I once tried to get through most view points...then I discovered I don’t have the capacity for that and there is no problem in my own mind now about other people!

Keep a lid on it to the extent possible. Don't want to waste my energy hearing their tired theology ideology.

I hate dogma and you will not hear me speak of God or Atheism. This is because I am an activist for humanity. That means, Religion, Belief Systems, Racism, Bigotry are not a consideration with me. Humanity has the right to choose their belief system and gender preference. I am interested in helping all humanity in living a much better life, not just a chosen few. I will not defend any belief system. I do not go to church. I accept no dogmatic religion or GOD. I consider myself a spiritual person, which leaves much leeway to think about. I fight for the life of this planet, the animals, domestic and wild, the water, the air, all that humanity needs to live a happy life. I am not to be feared and I remain neutral in belief because of my activism. I will not answer any more about this. I consider all free and welcome regardless of who or what they are. I am committed to my work, so I will hassle no one, except do not hate me for I fight for the rights and decency of all of you.

Only if they are joining in order to grant perspective into why they are Religious, as we do for why we don't believe in Religion. If it is to try and start arguments then so be it, but if all they fan threaten us with is eternal damnation then I will sleep easy at night

I'm of a like mind as you. Either they want to convert, disrupt, or find material to refute, I would wager. It's possible there may be the odd one who is actually objectively interested in what goes on here, and why; but, certainly they are few and far between.

I don't have an issue with it.
I mean better that they learn from us directly than make up what we are all about.

As long as they are here to learn more about why and what we believe I don't really have any problem with it. If they are coming to convert all us "sinners" then bad news for them as they probably have nothing to tell us we haven't already heard and rejected

No trolls please.

ronmon Level 3 June 27, 2018

They have enough places to join. Let them go to church.

I have no problem with it. All are welcome. I'm sure you have heard that the best way to become an atheist is to read the bible.

I have never heard a convincing argument from an apologist in my lifetime.

No creo en Dios

Ha, why would they come here? Yes, I know that they want to convert but mostly that is done in person. Awfully hard to get your point across on a chat room full of unbelievers.

All for it

I joined because I'm tired of hypocrites and religious people on other sites. I'd like to keep this space for us. I find the people here honest and intelligent. I love it just the way it is.

Lol if I had any such repulsions, I'd be kind of an authoritarian and an %sshole, so it doesn't bother me. People should not be abused because they have a certain stance on whether God exists or not. I have zero issues being in contact with these people, discussing religion, or explaining why they are incorrect. Dealing with them is just a correction game, at worst, and that's nothing.

The only reason that a “believer” would join such a group is to Troll and be insulting. As an example would a Tea Party person join a Liberal group unless they planned to be disruptive? Same philosophy here, so I’m against it.

Believers may be educated here; however, I so hope they do not try to educate us.

I really could care less as long as they are not abusing. they are free to believe what they believe. that includes everyone not only the believers. whatever helps them stay on top of the water instead of sinking is okay. because not everyone can handle a lot of truth we all cope in our own way. everyone has their own way of coping with this crazy world. the part is calling anyone crazy, dellusional, etc... whatever words that our chosen for people who do not believe what you believe. in a way you think about it.. we are all believers of something. like some believe faithfully that there is no god or you believe faithfully in the god of science and science knows all. the list goes on. the whole point is if you treat people wrong you are no better than a horrifying judgmental "believers". you are going down that same road. In reality no one knows everything we are just still starting to understand this world. there is still a lot to be discovered and it is a endless argument of who is wrong or right.

yaya87 Level 5 July 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.