Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (501 - 525)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The site is specific about its audience. Freethinkers, agnostics, atheists etc. Belivers have their own sites and piss off there. I don’t mind those who have a sense of spirituality, but those who follow organized religion and interject themselves into our community really aren’t welcome, IMO. I have come here to escape stupidity and conflict. They should stick to Facebook.

Livia Level 6 Aug 12, 2018

I agree 100% that I came here to get away from them, and I am too damn old to keep arguing with them. I threaten to attend church with them! Go to their church, sit right next to them! Obviously, that won't work online... But it can when it's in person. I'll say I will wear my Atheist hat too... (I don't actually have one. Yet) I have also noticed, that they often feel compelled to follow us, hunt us like the witches of Salem were, Track us down to confront us with their 'truths'... WHY? Why do they care? I think they must remove all doubters, so as to remove their own misgivings about the ridiculous nature of what they espouse. As long as we exist we can make them doubt, and they can't stand that. They HAVE to be right! Have to... or what have they been worshiping ? A silly fantasy story? That can't be. Religion is a powerful tool for controlling huge numbers of people with out firing a shot. If I had to think up a way of doing that job from scratch, I'd invent religion. Doubt, threatens that control. So the leaders say they "must go forth, convert the godless! Save them!" Oh Gwad.... save me from them.

Why is it, that the religious never have to justify anything, it is only us who do? For them, acceptance is automatic. EXCEPT HERE. I've tried listening to their side, and found it wanting. I'll post about that another time. Those of us here, chose to be. Of that much I am sure. Now, if the religious choose to be here, by extension, they accept the 'rules', written or otherwise. If they come to argue or persuade or save, go away. I heard that already. If they come to learn, sure. Keep the BS to yourselves though, it's not going to be kindly met. Looking at a few of the comments should quickly remove any doubt about that. We have been persecuted and ridiculed no end... this is OUR forum. To speak freely, without judgment, or having to justify a damned thing. That's my take on it. I said a long time ago I won't attempt to take anyone's faith away, even if I could. They need to afford me the same respect.

It depends. I have had intelligent conversations with more liberal believers. Historically, it was the liberal evangelicals who helped pull America put of the Great Depression. I am sure that most of the modrrn ilk would view them as heretics. In the same breath I faced off against a friend of a friend on FB. I don't accept people's judgements that I am going to hell. In this case because I defended the rights of my daughter and other women, and being accused of being a butcher and wanting to chop up his grandchildren. I always send those people to Mark 5, 1 to 7. Not a believer my self but willing to counter with their own arguments. I'm that section Mark warms hypocrites will be more harshly punished. I walked away from the argument when he proved his lack of Christian history by denying the idea of the trinity was voted upon. He said that was false and pointed to, I'll give him this credit, one of the biblical verses used by those who voted for it. So, where do I stand. If a person comes here, not to convert, but learn and question okay. Start preaching and no, need to be left behind (pun intended).

Welcome one and all as far as I am concerned. I would think coming to a place where evidence is king would deter most, but some might want to see if we are plotting Armageddon. Others might want to explore doubt in a setting where they won't get preached at. As long as people are not jerks I would not vote to exclude anyone.

Dialog between two people should always be by mutual consent. If and when that mutual consent exists, no third party should interfere to prevent it. That is the principle which should prevail here.

Not an issue. Stay open minded.

I have recommended to some Christian friends that they browse the postings here to get a less distorted view of atheism/agnosticism. For much of the Christian propaganda I have heard is that nonbelievers are those who have knowingly rejected the truth to become their own god in order to enjoy the short-range, sinful pleasures of earthly life. I feel they would be less obnoxious and argumentative if they had a less distorted view.

I am more than willing to intelligently discuss any topic with anyone, including beliefs. If they start quoting scriptures from a book written by someone long dead, I quote scriptures from the holy BOBle.

I think maybe we should have jury system or something. If we started getting persistent trolls professing to try and convert us or something it could get quite obnoxious. A jury system with somewhat flexible rules would allow all view points to be discussed but could prevent certain religious crap from becoming a nuisance or worse.

Wouldn't bother me not in the slightest.

Doesnt bother me. I'd just ignore them if they got preachy. No reason to argue with them.

As long as they do not come here to preach...

Absolutly NOT ! We don't argue in this venue...we debate...we console...we support one another...why screw up a good thing ? Not to mention they would troll the hell out of this site...could you just imagine them in some of the groups ? Somehow I don't think they would fit in to Sexual Devients or BDSM or any of the Religious Bashing groups.

Bad idea.

I don't think those who are believers should be involved in this organization. They have an agenda. Those questioning could gain info and insight into how they truly feel. If they feel they are believers there is no reason for them to stay on.

I don't like the idea. I joined because the site advertised as a place for non-believers to be away from all that. I've seen a couple recent posts, such as the "how do you recognize design" question, that just make me feel like I'm going to be subjected to the same things I avoid other sites because of.

IF they are allowed in with blatantly religious posts, I will challenge them ruthlessly. I don't go to their sites to proselytize, if they come to mine I will give them only the respect they give us, and i don't consider preaching to be respectful of the agnostic.com mission statement.

Depends on how disruptive they intend to be.
If they want to ask questions and have a dialog, let them come. If they want to preach the truth of the bible they can take their evil superstitions and lies and stick it somewhere no one can see.

I have no objection to a statement of belief. I do not, however, see this as a place for debate. Read, think, but if you wish to proselytize, take it elsewhere. I'll be happy to argue by email. (More appropriate forum anyway.)

As long as they can be civil, let them join.

Agnostic
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
I say, let them come.. The whole idea of agnosticism Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable. Everybody is wrong and yet everybody is right.. So what is wrong with a little debating and sharing thoughts and ideas.. Otherwise you are just preaching to the choir.. But then of course, without any differences in ideas and thoughts and beliefs, everybody can stay comfortable and content. Right.? And that sort of feels like a rutt to me.. Don't get me wrong.. I am huge anti religion.. But it is not from religion that I learn and grow, but from people..

I also want to point out to the naysayers, how many times I have read the words, "FREE THINKERS", and "OPEN MINDED" on here, of which I am truly impressed, so lets keep it that way, for all..

We all have obviously managed to get this far with out getting sucked in.. So what safer place than here is there to have a little bit of religious debate.. I, personally don't believe in ANY religion, or "God" OR the bible.. I do how ever believe in Jesus, the MAN" and what he stood for and the MOVEMENT* NOT RELIGION, that he TRIED to create.. Everything about the man, including HIS NAME was hijacked by religion, when TRUTH be told, the man was more AGAINST organized religion than we are.. LOL So let them bring it on..

Why not let them hear a worthwhile idea or two, as long as they are not rude to others and don't waste peoples time. And I am sorry to disagree, but I have changed my opinions on several thing since I was twenty, (long time ago) and hope I always will, that is what keeps you alive and moving forward.

• I don't know what the rules presently say, but so far I haven't run into too many covert or overt theists.
  • If a theist wants to join as an overt up-front theist, I might be ok with there being some limited capacity for them to do so, perhaps in a cordoned off area where they can engage with atheists/agnostics who do want to engage with them. It is possible that someday I suppose I could enjoy some discussion with them, but it will damage the usefulness of this site for me if the site just becomes a broader mixture and if I am not able to zoom in and engage only with atheists and agnostics as the main activity here.
  • I am against theists covertly pretending to be atheists and joining, but it is something that is going to happen from time to time. I also usually succeed in avoiding wasting my time trying to figure out if someone I am speaking with is not being up-front aboout their theism. I guess I just focus on the topic at hand and eventually if they're a theist, hopefully they will just realize I'm not interested in their nothing game.
kmaz Level 7 Oct 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.