Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Open, except that no one ever asks.

It's so much easier to simply keep it to myself but I feel that it's important to display to the world that we are around in large numbers and we are good moral people. However, it can be super discouraging to waste your breathe on people who just assume that you are evil because you reject their dogma so I am generally not very outspoken unless I am conversing with someone who seems capable of critical thinking.

Well I'm open enough about it that I post FFRF newsletters and alerts on my Facebook page. Anyone else?

Both. Generally, in my town, I am in the closet as this is very right wing here and people will not hire, promote, do business with you etc., if they know. However, I am open with my small humanist meetup.

I'm open to close friends and parents. Still haven't told my grandparents as I risk alienating myself from them near their deathbed. Something I don't (as of yet) feel is necessary. When the timing is right I will tell them. As far as social media I don't like to get preachy. Seems too much like my religious days.

I am an open atheist to my family and closest friends. As far as the overly conservative close knit community I was brought in goes, not a lot of people know of my deconversion.

I don't dichotomize it to begin with. I bear no responsibility to declare my stance in an imaginary battle. The people who are making unsubstantiated claims are the ones who have to defend their positions.

skado Level 9 Dec 27, 2017

Interesting viewpoint, and quite right I think.

I'm certainly not closeted, but there's no reason to bring it up unless it's relevant. I'm not ashamed of being an atheist, but it's only one facet of what makes me who I am (like 'American' or 'guitarist'😉...

I'm currently in the closet. I'm live in a religious family and despite them knowing that I value scientific reason over so called religious faith I'm scared to publicly drop what the call the 'A' word around them.

I'm open, but really understand why someone would remain in the closet.

I don't go out of my way to advertise it. If asked, I'll offer. If pushed or put upon by someone to do with their religion, I'll push back at least as hard.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

Open. Why? Life’s too short to hide your real self.

I am an open/active atheist, trying to be less confrontational & trying to "learn" Street Epistemology". I just got an "atheist atom" tatooed on my right forearm as a conversation starter (& because it looks so good! LOL). I will not hide, tho I try to be understanding & respectful, because as xtians are supposed to do, I disagree & dislike & disbelieve the viewpoint & religion, not necessarily the person who holds those views.

I am openly atheistic; as I feel strongly that people should witness for what they believe; and even more adamantly, I eschew superstitions and all the harm they have done, are doing humanity. Put another (positive) way, I urge other people to become themselves; to learn ways of knowing the universe that are real... to live their lives apart from mythos, deal with others humanely, improve the planet.

Closet, because my family and my job would be at risk if I come out right now. I told an atheist friend of mine that atheism would become the 'marriage equality' conflict for the next decade, only that we (atheists) would not get the same equality because unlike gender identity, we do make a choice to be atheist. His reply? "Once you have the facts, is it really a choice?"

Depends on whom I am with. I don't intentionally offend anyone, but sometimes it's very hard to keep my mouth shut when the religious babbling starts.

Marty Level 1 Dec 20, 2017

Very open. I totally feel I have an ax to grind over the religion that I’ve been exposed to.

I had been more or less very Open for at least 45 plus years I guess. But I don't try to bring it up. I recall arguments in junior high and high school. I was very solid even then... without doubts once I stopped praying at night before going to sleep.

if someones asks I will say otherwise I won't say anything.

I’m open about who I am and what I believe, but I’m not the type to force my opinions on others.

OPEN! I have nothing to hide, and am very true about myself with other people..and i am a NICE, GOOD PERSON!

Because it's a no brainer. Can't smell it. Can't hear it. Can't touch it. Can't taste it. I just can't see why I should waste my time. Even if something like it actually existed, so what? I personally don't have any use for something messing up my life any more that I have already done.

Closeted. I have no interest in hurting the feelings of people who are close to me, at some level, but do not share my views. Hence, my pseudonym.

Foot out of Closet. My family is unaware, my friends aren't. My parents are both religious and I don't want to ruin my relationship with them.

Sad

Don't feel bad for you are not alone. I know people who are stuck in that same predicament, and religious folks can be difficult when confronted. Your friends know so that may be enough for now🙂

@sloryd One of my sisters know, told her when I ran into her the other day and just told her while talking to her. She's not religious either and can understand legitimate reasons I don't share that with my parents.

Both. I work and live in a rural community and have a somewhat public position. I am not open about it with anyone but family and friends usually although often many of my employees know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.