Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Open atheist - I suppose why not? - I don't proseletyse My Atheism means very little to me - merely an absence of, and not a fight, so - I think I would tell anybody without worrying unless they wanted to beat me up for it .

I'm open and honest with my Mother's (Baptist) side of my family about my atheism, and that's an interesting balancing act. I don't hide myself from those who love me, but I'm sure my mom feels that she failed at raising me. At least in God's view. This has got to weigh heavily on her, and I feel bad for her. Bad. For her. Not guilty for myself. Important difference. Still, it's a bummer. As far as the world at large, I would never lie, but I've learned to judge whether or not the beehive that is my present company whomever they be is worth kicking.

Open, but I don't feel the need to announce it to anyone unless I am asked.

OPEN ! I don't tolerate fools well, so I avoid random conversation. The FAM knows where my husband and I both stand, and choose not to open that conversation with us ever again. Good call on their part. WHY? Because I can. I'm ruthless to debate. My friends are intelligent, and we find more important things to discuss.

I don't do public speaking engagements regarding my atheism, nobody asked me so far, but I'll chuck in my tuppence worth in a discussion at work for instance. I'm certainly more vocal about not letting a god assumption be slipped in to a chat though.

Both. It depends on the context.

It can be dangerous for your work life.

Neither, because I'd like my lack of religious zeal to be a nothingness of no consequence to me or anybody else . I have no need to tell anybody what my opinion of a sky god is and I have no wish to hear about theirs. I wouldn't for example try to explain myself to somebody by telling them all the things I don't like we tend to make friends on positives "oh you like cheese on toast too! wow! come on! My treat!

Open. Because lol.

Open - because when i was a child I wasn't noticed by anyone ,left to my own devices, thought of as 'that strange child' I don't know why but I lied all the time - I never told the truth - at some point someone must have asked me why and as I didnt have a good enough reason I decided to always tell my truth - Its the least important thing about me, for myself, that I am an atheist so I don't mind who knows.

I am open to those that know me. If asked, I will for sure let them know I don't partake in any religious dogma. Its that simple.

I'm open about it. I think that if I am open about it, and there are other people around when I say it then maybe it will encourage someone else to admit it that may have wanted to, but are afraid of the consequences of saying it. Power in numbers and all that!

i flaunt my heathendom whenever the opportunity arises 🙂

I don't hide that I am agnostic but usually only mention it when when someone tells me about their religious beliefs or experiences. I politely tell them either that I am a non-believer or I don't believe in a God or gods. If I'm pushed on the agnostic part, I tell them that I only say I'm agnostic cuz I believe in possibilities. That I think it's more likely that aliens exist than God does, and no one has found aliens yet that I know of.

I am as open with being an atheist as I am open with being a gay man.

I firmly believe in being out and proud about everything, including being an Atheist. Most believers don't hide their beliefs so why I should I hide my lack of belief. Being visible and striving to be a decent person is how people's opinions of Atheists will, hopefully, change.

Out since kindergarten. Religiosos are often aghast that they "like" me, having thought we all were hiding horns & cloven hooves. Why am I out? How is the species supposed to evolve without secular humanism? If I lost any friends because of my beliefs they were not friends. They were doctrinaire. It was I who could not take their constant evangelizing, attempting to save my wretched soul. I did not attempt to convert them. But boy oh boy the onslaught of pressure became unbearable.

Open but not obnoxiously so. I don't fear or care what others may think about it. It's my right to believe and ain't nobody's business but my own(to quote an old Howlin' Wolf tune).

Open atheist mainly because I am not bothered to talk about it to 'anyone of any religion or none' if they want me to. I actually don't think its a very interesting subject I'd far rather talk about everyday things. I was brought up in a small suburb of London & religion was never really talked about - because it was personal. I now live in Northern Ireland where its a great topic of interest and seems to define people - as in 'I'm this not that' I find it difficult given that there is only one specific difference between the two ways of praising the same god and I sometimes think it isnt about the religion at all but a bit like a need for difference to maintain a sense of self.

Open...even became an ordained minister in the Church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster to flash my ordination card at religious co-workers and such.

Open. I don't hide it, though I don't go around shoving it in people's faces.

Open to friends and my brother. Family and co-workers not so much. My company is full of crazy religious people, it's just easier to not talk about. Smile and nod, just smile and nod.

I'm an open atheist with my family and friends. Generally, I respond by letting people know I'm an atheist when they start justifying their bigotry using "The bible says..." I let them know that I believe all religions are equally foolish.

MILITANT ATHEIST in that I go out of my way to respond to the 'buffoonery' (nice description memetolva) that some people claim as true and right. Respect for individual beliefs is one thing, once it enters into policy or practice that effects others, then I speak out. Their are some incredibly dangerous people in the world today, many are driven by religious delusions.

I am an open atheist because I feel that I have a right to show the religious crazies around here in oklahoma that people don't need a god to be good people. I volunteered at the local soup kitchen until they found out I was an atheist. I volunteered at the local thrift shop until they found out. So now I spend my free time with my kids and their friends keeping them out of trouble and keeping them busy. A few parents know I'm an atheist and I don't do anything to hide it but mostly they just ask me not to say anything to their kids. I have no issues with that request and even correct my kids when they speak up.

Open but it's trickier for my kid. She was hassled at her last school for not going to church and has lost a few friends at her new school by being open about it. She's only 7. I suggested to her she might want to keep it to herself at school (very small school in the South in the woods!) and her response was "I don't have to pretend to be like them. It's ok to be different". (So proud)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.