Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wouldn't call myself closet agnostic since most people who know me, know I question religion. But I am careful how much I do say on this matter, as so many of my friends & colleagues would be upset. And I just don't want to go there.

ags2 Level 5 Dec 12, 2017

Open, I'm not a fan of lying.

Like you, I am not a fan of lying, but surely you would agree that there are situations where lying is the right thing to do, if for no other reason than consideration of others. When someone close to you asks if what they're wearing makes them look fat, you might be able to avoid an outright lie, and skirt the truth. However, if you were hiding Jews from the Nazis during World War II and they came to your door, you most certainly would lie. In fact, to tell the truth in this case would be immoral!

Obviously extreme, life or death scenarios lying is necessary, but in extreme life or death scenarios murder can be necessary. I still don't think lying could ever be the right thing to do, only the necessary evil to do the right thing.

If I thought a friend looked fat in certain clothing and they asked, I would tell them the truth. Not as an insult or anything but they wanted an answer and I'm not going to lie to a friend.

In Nazi Germany I truly doubt I could even get into the situation of hiding Jews, I'd either already have left the country, or be dead.

I am an open atheist because I don't want to lie about a fundamental part of my personage.

I am open to those closest to me. The community I live in would probably burn my quirky ass at the stake if I was completely open.

I know that feeling!

I tell people what they need to know, basically I can convince people I believe and that I don't believe. Depends on what I have at stake and if there is a benefit to me appearing religious vs not.

If I worship anything, it is truth. I am open about not having spiritual beliefs of any sort.

I love my country and am proud to stand and put my hand over my heart to say the Pledge, but I leave out the "under god" part which was added when I was young, during the Cold War, to distinguish us from the "godless Commies."

Very open atheist.

Openly humanist/agnostic. Seems rare in my area and representation is important. Also nips religious-based event invitations in the bud.

Proudly open to all in all situations. It usually stops unwanted conversations with people who think it is there calling to convert anyone who doesn't follow there teachings and donates to the Con men on high. Mostly my own relatives! I don't condemn anyone for there beliefs but I love to debate. I have yet to be engaged by anyone as soon as I mention the facts know to science.

Completely open. Life is too short to live a lie.

I'm pretty open about it because I'm not very good at hiding things about myself for very long. I'm very outspoken and proud of my beliefs.

Absolutely 100% open atheist
Cause why not

I am an open atheist. I think the world needs a healthy dose of skepticism

With family I am more closed do to there beliefs.
If asked I am open.

I'm an open atheist because I think it's important to force people to accept me how I am, or get out of my life. I refuse to let societal expectations dictate how I express myself.

I am open but I don't shove it in peoples faces.

Open but I don't wear it on a T-shirt. Some people have figured it out and some have not.

I don't advertise but I don't hide the fact . Living in the Bible belt I get invited to churches all the time I just say I'm not religious and I'd be a hypocrite if I did attend .

If I am asked, I tell people. I will only voluteer that information if the other person is assuming I am a Christian and is using my lack of comments as agreeing to thier point of view. As in "We are all Christians here.". "Um, I'm not a Christian".
Tends to kill a conversation pretty quickly.

I live in the sticks of Ohio were everyone is a baptist i am a closet agnostic and a closet Marxist to admit to anyone of the 2 would be to be shunned and discriminated against.

Quite open now. I de-converted eight years ago, and kept quiet so as not to upset my elderly parents. But they are gone now, so I'm wide open about it!

I am an open atheist. I lost most my family and friends over it but I stick to my believe.

Good for you. If they can't accept you for who you really are, that's their problem.

i am open about my agnosticism. I really don't believe in a Traditional God figure, but there are too many unanswered quantum anomalies to have a dedicated belief one way or another. I am open about my beliefs because I don't care what anyone thinks. If people wanna follow Jesus then let them follow the bastard for all I care. I just can't be moved by something so trivial.

Open. In this day and age being closest is old school, backwards. What's the point of progress if you can't express yourself.

Open for sure, pretty much always. That being said it's not necessarily something I immediately bring up, it's just that whenever the topic does come up I make sure it's known. I really do wish that "atheist" were the default assumption of people's religious beliefs though, I always feel extremely uncomfortable when people assume I'm Christian.

I am definitely open I am to the point in my life where I don't need anyone's approval I am not afraid to speak my mind on any subject

Tovie Level 2 Nov 25, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.