Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm an open one: I really like confrontation (a polite one)
especially 'cause I'm trying to live leading by example (kindness, generosity, etc support by knowledge) showing to religious people that we don't need a God to act in a good way;
usually, I like to show them that I know much more on their religious than them, quoting the bible against them (quite easy to do it)

I suggest to watch all the Richard Dawkins arguments on youtube that literally trained me to deal with that (now I'm able to argue with my evangelic sister that, opposite to Catholic, they know how to answer you properly making the discussion quite harder...

If someone asks about my religion I will tell them that I don't believe in religions and I'm an atheist, but I don't usually go out screaming in every face I meet that I'm an atheist

Johar Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

I wouldn't go on an Atheist Pride march (if such a thing exists LOL) as I don't think it is something to celebrate and it is not a headline label for me. However, I might mention it if asked or in a discussion involving religion.

I would go on that march 🙂

I don't hide the fact and would say as much if asked, but I really find the issue to be a personal one and not something that a polite person pries into.

I'm an open atheist. I'm not terribly vocal about it, but people that know me will know that trait about me. Most of my friends are not particularly religious so it makes it a lot easier.

none of my friends are religious either. I have a co worker that spends his sundays listening to lies in a baptist church, I don't get it, out of 2 days off a week you waste one of them LOL

As a brown Army veteran, I am less hated for being an atheist than a Muslim. If someone asks my religion I will happily tell them I'm an atheist. In the more common way I get asked, I refuse to deny being Muslim. I ask "does it matter?" and "why?" and wait for serious answers. But generally, I am very open about it.

I am an open atheist because it is important for people to know that atheists can be good people, and I try to be an example of that. If we are more open about our views, more people will feel like they can come out as well without being judged.

@memetolva I think you just paraphrased Marx there. I would disagree and assert that professional sports has replaced religion, at least here, as "the opium of the people." One good thing about the Trump presidency is that it has so clearly exposed the blatant moral hypocracy of the evangelical right. So there's that.

I am open about my atheism. I am surrounded by a family quite into religion and live in the UK. I feel for my brothers and sisters in more theistic communities, i.e middle East and the US where you would be forced into staying quiet...literally in some cases to save your life or your job!

I seek to fight intolerance in all its forms. This is fair, right and honourable.

Dont really talk about it unless im asked about it, it usually opens a can of worms that distracts me and whoever im talking to from whatever we were actually doing

as I stated earlier all my wife's family are religious so it is best to keep it to my self, I would not deny my atheism if asked but just don't openly reveal this, a few know most do not

Open. But for business reasons, I try to keep it quiet. I live in the bible belt.

It is the same for me. I only told a coworker because I was asked directly.

I don't hide it, but I don't push it onto my religious acquaintances and friends either. Some of my best friends are deeply religious, they know my belief/opinions, but we love each other like brothers and would do almost anything for our group of friends. So, y'all tell me, does that mean I'm open or closeted?

Hi Bob. Interested in your comments. I too have lots of religious friends and its great when you can discuss openly the topics on your mind. My religious wife is leaving me for a minister. Two families have been split apart. She is leaving because she sys she has more in common, which I get, but do see religion as ruining and spoiling a perfectly good relationship.

I have been an open and sometimes vociferous atheist/evidentialist/rationalist for a mite over 60 years. It has been a box of different rocks most of the time, but I have thick skin and a good understanding of human behavior and how the world works, so it has seldom been much of a sticking point.

As for the 'why' of it, I find it much easier to live an honest life and I don't like having to make shit up -- except when I'm writing a book, then I love making shit up.

Militant Open atheist. I want change to a secular society where decisions are based on science and reason, not dogma and rhetoric. Religion is poison, we have no use for it, apart from if you are a psychopath who needs money and power.

Here Here...

exactly right

Good for you! I also understand the risks of 'coming out' in certain communities. Even in some countries, atheists are still being killed.

I came out of the non-believer closet in January. I had to wait for my daughters to leave for college to do so. Boy oh boy did it stir up some noise in my small community in south Arkansas. 99% of people here would say they don't know an atheist/agnostic person. The few, very few that are here must stay in the closet or risk their careers and family.

I've been very open for about 40 years. If I am ask or questioned about my beliefs. I live in the bible belt and my beliefs cause many to question my value. I found very little problems in the educational surroundings I found in my life as a teacher.

I am an open atheist. I have nothing to hide.

Open cause it's something to be proud of!!

I'm 61, way past needing someone else to validate my thoughts. I simply don't care, it doesn't affect my life to admit I'm an atheist.

same here. I don't care what people think, its not my problem.

Open 100000% and it's gotten me into quite a few predicaments (living in the bible belt)

Open...all the way.

I'm an open atheist.

I'm an open atheist.
I remember as a small child sitting in Sunday school and thinking, "They're making all this stuff up just to trick us small kids." However after hearing that my parents and grandparents believed it, I spent years trying to believe and was convinced I might go to hell because I had doubts. This sort of brainwashing is an awful thing to do to any child.

Indeed it is awful 🙂

I would like to think I'm open-minded. I'm already for the most part set in my view points, but I have no problem changing when I'm either wrong, been challenged in which the evidence is overwhelming and convincing.

So your answer to the question is?

Open about it. When anyone ask me I just tell them but I also don't have a sign on me saying, "I'm an atheist"...though a neon-sign saying that would be interesting..

I am very open about my way of non believing. I don't flaunt it around at work or try to start a debate with anyone unless someone brings up religion, then I will let them know.

This is my same approach 🙂

me too 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.