Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

open atheist/humanist. I'm a humanist chaplain now and working to spread seeds.. A guy last week was shocked and he said "how can you be a chaplain and not be xtian?"

open agnostic

I have no problem being open about my atheism. People frequently throw their religion in my face where I work, I have no hesitation letting them know where I stand as well.

Open to some (peers and friends), closeted around religious family.

I'm open about it, although I don't proselytize or push it into other people's faces.

After a lot of consideration and years of being in the closet on the religious side, I'm out about most things now. It's cost me connection with people, as I've not got embedded in the local Atheist community yet, but I am not sure it's cost me friendships per se, as I feared it might. I don't ramp about it, but anybody who asks gets the truth, and I belong to several Atheist and Agnostic groups on Facebook.

I am very open with my atheism. Why, is because I'm not living in a theocracy.

Always have been honest that I am not now, and have never been, superstitious.

Loren Level 2 Oct 28, 2017

Open if asked. Frankly telling people seems as invasive as being religious and having to preach. If someone is interested I'll gladly tell them.

Do you withhold posting about it on social media because you see it as preaching?

I agree with Raven. I think one's personal beliefs, or non-beliefs, are a private matter. I certainly don't like being preached at, and I try not to do it to others.

No I don't hold back on Social Media - it's whether it's appropriate to the conversation or not.

Open and widely. My stance is: If someone has the right to speak his/her thoughts so why don't I do the same?

open and proud. it actually helps prevent religious conversations around me. there are even a couple others at work like me 🙂

Grats on finding the coworkers!

Simple, do good things and avoid evil.

I was in the closet from about the age of twelve until one day, while on a job walk with one of my superintendents, a born again at that, I open the door and game out with both barrels blasting. I love being out and free to proud to say I am an atheist.

Open because I think that frankly most people are truly at least agnostic but they are so afraid that it isn't socially acceptable that they won't admit it. When the subject comes up (I certainly don't bring it up) I find that at least 80% of people I talk to who are under 50 don't believe that it is anything more than a fable.

I'm open about being an atheist. My workplace and community are not particularly religious, so it doesn't affect my job or relationship with friends or neighbours. I also enjoy a good debate, so if the Mormons or JW happen to knock at my door while I'm home, I'd invite them in for tea and a chat. They don't have any evidence that is likely to convince me otherwise, but perhaps I can sow some doubts in them.

I'm in a place of questioning and share with close friends about what confuses me about the supposed character of "God" and why the planet is in a state of pollution and corruption.
The jury is still out.

All the best in your quest.

Open. Why not?

Open, in the sense that if it comes up then I'll happily talk about being atheist. But if it's not relevant to the conversation, then I won't be the one to bring it up. Not a big fan of preachy, aggressive people whether their atheist or theist!

Open, although will not state so unless asked. What usually happens is someone (often a family member) looks to me for agreement that "God is good " or similar and I either don't respond, walk away or say something dismissive. Not intentionally. Just an automatic response. For years I haven't practiced Catholicism and can't remember the last time I said I would pray for or about someone, but none in family noticed until recently.

Open
I don’t get in people’s faces but:
I would join a march.
I would be in a debate if asked.
I have a bumper sticker that announces to all that “I am going to hell in every religion”
I try not to inflame reactions while not backing down from argument.
I try to keep a sense of humor.

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

I want one of those stickers.

Open. Glad to be counted with those who don't have an imaginary friend.

Open and happy about it.

open. It is my choice.

open to all that ask

Open and proud.

I'm not totally open in the sense that I don't generally announce it. When asked I'm not hesitant to state my views.

I get to "cheat" a little bit I suppose. When around fundamentalist Christians I can honestly say that I'm "Jewish/agnostic like my father before me and his father before him.

The "Jewish" bit give me a little leeway as most fundamentalists tend to respect Jews.

That last bit may well be changing what with Trump's friends giving the Nazi salute while chanting anti-Jewish slogans.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.