Agnostic.com

348 19

Are you an open or closet agnostic/atheist, and why?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

348 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Closeted....I’m just beginning the detoxification process myself and I want to be 100% confident and ready for the huge amount of backlash that is sure to come when the curtain is finally pulled back. My children are my main concern. I’m trying to do what’s BEST for them.

Kids are the most important priority. I admire your commitment to their psychological wellbeing.

Closet atheist...... Reason: I don't wanna die yet 😉 #livinginislamiccountry

Open but very few people ask and I am in N.Ireland now.

I'm open about being atheist with all of my close friends. I don't post it on social media because I'm afraid I'll be negatively judged by many people.

Very open. Why - because I believe in integrity and being honest about who I am and what I believe. I don't go around preaching the gospel of it though. Did that when I was a Christian, and vowed never to make the same mistake twice.

100% open. It took awhile to get there, but it was a lot easier after all my Christian friends bailed 😉

Open .not many people ask though!

I'm open about it. I have a friend who is a Jehovah's Witness, and he used to challenge me on biblical views. I've always had responses to his challenges, and eventually he gave up. Now we hang out, video games, grab a beer, or just go grab lunch and catch up. But I have been very up-front and open about my atheism to everyone I meet who inquires. If someone can't be friends with me for being an atheist, then I deserve better and more accepting friends who aren't judgmental.

I plainly feel and have expressed to all my family at every funeral I am asked to do eulogy or in my sons case I chose to do his eulogy. I ask no favors or forgivess I am an upright honorable man do stands up for underprivileged or senior citizens. I give best wishes as to prayers because I pray to no god who took my grandma at 45 my niece at 15 or a month ago my son at 35,

Wow man, I am sorry for your pain and loss. I'm down in Jackson, but make it up to Mayfield to get my RV services from time to time, as well as hit Eddyville and LBL during the summer. Hit me up if you know of any cool events up your way. Always looking for open and genuine friends.

Take care!

Open but reserved, engage when appropriate.

I'm open somewhat but very careful because some people could love your presence and if the word atheist comes up their whole mood and perception of you changes. If they decide to avoid after that, their loss thats how I see it. I do try to give signs so they won't be surprised when they find out. I don't like to be decieved so I search for the truth no matter how uncomfortable it is and some people dislike that.

Luis_T Level 2 July 18, 2018

I won't wear a ball cap or badge proclaiming my agnosticism, but if people start talking about religion I won't be shy about my position.

Neither. I don’t hide it but I don’t display it. If someone asks I’ll tell them but I don’t go out of my way to advertise it, I just live my life.

PDF Level 5 July 16, 2018

Open, I don't hide it.

I don't hide it, but I don't flaunt it either. Anyone who asks will get the truth. Being a business owner, I have to play nice. Probably about 90% of my customers are delusional about invisible flying magic interdimensional creatures that communicate with them telepathically (angels). So I can't afford to be as aggressive as I'd like.

Im wide open. I don't make a ton of friends in this town run/owen by a church. However i spent so many years playing by the rules im no longer afraid to step on anyones toes.

Open. Very open.

I'm generally open though the topic is not relevant in most of my dealings with others, so it doesn't come usually up.

I don't proclaim and proselytize but I don't hide anything either.

Tonight an atheist friend and I went to a wine tasting. He's 82 has tons of dirty jokes and can be an obnoxious atheist, definitely more than merely open about his atheism.

There was a Trump supporter at our table which really pisses my buddy off. He told jokes about a vibrator and another about orgies. The liberal older woman next to me asked if he always gets drunk in public and I riposted he's high on life as an atheist. She asked if I'm atheist, then we had a discussion on being atheist in Utah and went back to wine tasting.

Very open especially on social media!! I try to explain that the belief in a creator is dangerous because it makes us complacent to how precious we really are! If we believe we can be reproduced by a creator after a globally catastrophic event we have lost respect for our own existence! If we let many different religious beliefs separate humanity we may never unite as one species
I find it very sad and dangerous when religion replaces knowledge and understanding with belief and faith! .

I am open about it. However the same as I feel bout any (or lack of) is personal choice and something you can keep to yourself until someone asks

Closet agnostic. I'm still a dependant

sorry dude!

Just as much as I don't want a believer to wave their stuff in my face, I don't think they want me waving mine. As soon as they bring up the topic, I let them know it's not a good idea to bring that up. If they still pursue it, they get resistance to conceding any part of their delusion as being real - and that usually wears them out to the point where they stop bringing it up.

I'm an open atheist. I understand why people want to be in the closet, but I decided a of months that it's important for me to be honest with everyone. When I was doubting/questioning I was glad there were open atheists. The more open atheists there are- the more we will be accepted.

I don't volunteer it, but if it comes up I state I am an atheist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.