Agnostic.com

32 5

How has learning science affected your life?

How has learning science affected your life? For me my scientific interests kept me from cult indoctrination. It kept my mind open and aware of how the world really works.

Tyrantmike 6 June 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I learned to accept that I don't have or need to have all the answers, that if I do need an answer then hard work is the best perhaps only way to get it, and anyone offering easy answers is trying to fool you.

I was brainwashed to accept nonsense on faith alone. Science taught me to question things, investigate them, and to put facts and evidence before blind belief. So, I give a big, grateful shout-out to science: THANK YOU, SCIENCE, for saving me from religion!

I like being grounded in reality;
Life is a process/ we owe the future generations to stay aware & updated.
Info is the new currency; Science keeps the
facts straight-allowing informed decisions and choices about every day events.
Thanks for the post.

BBJong Level 7 June 30, 2019

The understanding of how science works has taught me critical thinking skills as a young man, that I would not have achieved otherwise, but through experience.

Well, I did come to relized that religion does nto stand upo to scientific scrutiny.

Knowlege is power.

My scientific education was an exciting time of understanding how the world works! I’ve developed a discipline of skepticism, analysis and discovery that has sustained me into my 60s. I love scientist’s puckish humor, curiosity, and integrity.

Science informs my bull shit detector. If some one is trying to convince me of something and there is an element that is incompatable with the known laws of phyics, it's bullshit. There are tons of books for the average joe that explain the mysreyies of the known universe so you know the difference between a Scientific Theroy, a Hypothisis, and a fantasy..

To me the benefits are empowering, and never ending.
Alway a possibility to learn more and grow.

I had to think a bit to come up with just one thing. and to be honest it wasn't easy at all.
But the best thing, at least for me was learning HOW to learn, rather than what to learn.
The beauty of the Scientific method, is that it can, and should be able to be used in everything.

On a side note, that's one of the reasons I loved the show "Mythbusters" so much. none of them ware Sceintists, be they used the Scientific method for every thing, test, test, test. then make conclusions.

Well, that, and they blew a lot of shit up too. lol.

Gosh I miss that show, I need to rent the dvds or something.

Applying the methodology of science, and critical thinking, has helped me save the lives of loved ones several times over in concert with doctors, various websites on prescription side effects/interactions, and various people in forums on the internet.

I guess it isn't just being early to be and early to rise that makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. But that helps, too.

Wow, this is the "question" to me. I always was fascinated with science and nature. We camped a lot when I was growing up. My father showed my everything about the world just being outdoors. I love astronomy and l'm a huge fan of Neil degrass Tyson. To me, learning where we came from and how big the universe is, is captivating, mesmerizing and mindblowing! It always feels right. I was also raised Catholic by my mom. I never truly felt comfortable with religion. It took until I got old enough to trust my own decision, to feel ok. Science is everything, science is life!

I was lucky, my mom raised me to make my own choice. She made sure I had both a science background and religion. When I got older, I chose what I believed in based on my own findings. She never pushed religion on me.

For me, love of science came after the decision that organized religion was fishy......one of the good things my parents did was get me an encyclopedia set as a kid (admittedly, another example of someone trying to separate people from their $$, but nonetheless one that helped me become more curious about the world).....when I was about 15 or so, I learned who Steven Hawking was, and read "A Brief History of Tim'.....i fell in love with physics and chemistry, and came to Minnesota specifically wanting to study them at the U.....I eventually decided to major in something different, but I ended up staying here for going on now 25 years, because this place is awesome....so, yeah, without learning to love science at an early age, who knows where i'd be and what I'd be doing right now

It makes me leathal in a debate with a thumper.

I love science!! Physics especially. Opened my mind and world at 15 years old.

I don’t know much science. Chess, philosophy and logic have made me much humbler and shown me my ignorance and limitations of intellect in regards to our place in the universe and the meaning or purpose of our existence. I think there will come a day like in Star Trek where mathematics and the hard sciences will be as necessary as speaking English.

It has done nothing but improve it. So many of my questions answered, so many more questions to answer. Seeing actual progress and change within my own lifetime. Advancements in all fields. Progress. Real progress. Ever forward. Ever further. Inherent honesty of the scientific method, as opposed to denial, avoidance of the issue, and misdirection when making shit up fails of religion.

Yes, absolutely. I am a classically educated civil engineer. I am also a pk. There are soooo many things in the bible that go against what we KNOW to be fact. The age of the earth is a good example. Immaculate conception is a non-reproducible experiment, and thus, is fucking nonsense. A cover story for a girl who would otherwise have been stoned. The amazing miracles believers tout are typically explained thru science. The ten plagues. The parting of the Red Sea. Etcetera. Once you have studied gravity, light, chemistry, physics, biology, geology, etc., there are few mysteries in the universe. Dark matter, black holes and interstellar travel are about the only things we haven't conquered. 20 years time will likely see the end of disease.

20 years...end of disease.
Oh how I hope you’re right!

Well, as Chris Rock said years ago, there's no money in curing AIDS, the money is in maintaining. "Sorry I was out yesterday, my AIDS was acting up!" There's a new commercial with the rollerskating friends, to the point. Once big pharma looses the stranglehold they have on meds and r&d, cures will be more possible and likely. Look what's happening with smallpox now; that should not even be on the map save the ignorance of those who have their heads buried deep in their asses. Education (of those who still think vaccinations cause autism), r&d, and a lessening of the influence of religion to decide on medical matters will hopefully be the norm in 20 years. I believe in humanity.

I know nothing....perhaps I was Jon Snow in a previous life

Gave me a vocation and a carreer

t1nick Level 8 June 30, 2019

I know something.

Science was always fascinating to me. In its beginning we had oddballs. Before that we had goddidit.

I have in retirement become completely [well almost] making it my rest of life mission to spread science through every age group and ability with obvious benefit- see my science teacher's group on this site

It tells me the natural world is amazing...lethal, hostile, out to getcha, but luckily we don't have to live like animals...hahaha...get it?😀
Being agnostic makes me wonder what it's all about, it strikes me the mysteries of it are the most amazing part.
Science reinforces that feeling.

I've worked in science based jobs as a lab tech. Now I am studying the Social Sciences. To support this, I am a support worker for adults with special needs, in this employment I use psychology and sociology and little of other the hard sciences too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:367567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.