Agnostic.com

55 13

What is the purpose of this site?

What is the purpose of this site? Is it like a dating site? Is it where non-belivers get together to swap stories? Im from the south, or better know as "the bible belt" so to come out as agnostic (or worse) can be very difficult. It divides families or even seperates family. Is this normal everywhere?

wayjoh 4 Oct 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Does any forum have an intrinsic purpose, or only whatever use made thereof by the end users?

I don't know if this site is a dating site or just a safe space for free thinkers. I'd like to think the latter. But in my experience living in South Dakota, the more I open up to people with my view of things the more our normal interaction change. I haven't been ostracized (yet) but I know it's uncomfortable!

@Shawappa44820 I totally came to the site just for the interaction of folks and ended up in a relationship. Possibly because I never responded to anyone on any dating site, this site made it easy to find someone with whom I connected.

@LimitedLight

What is Bucyrus? I looked it up, but basically only found it to be a city in Ohio.

@Shawappa44820 it's a dating site if you want it to be... You can choose "open to meeting men / women " or "here for community ", it's your choice...

@LimitedLight

Probably many people. Now it is your turn.
Tag, your it.

But seriously, in answer to your question. You tagged Shawappa44820. My question comes from your last sentence. Which I now see I have misread. Watch out for Lutherans IN Bucyrus. Thought it read AND.

Just like in life, the answer you seek is 42. It is always 42. It will always be 42.

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

@Paul4747 laid

All of the above

I grew up in (and still live in) the Bible Belt too, so I can relate. Most of the people in my family don't know I'm a non-believer, so I come to this site to see what other non religious people have to say. It's nice to meet others with varying levels of secularism. Welcome!

Welcome wayjoh.

I live in the bible belt and can relate to some of what you have said via personal experience.

In answer to your question. IMO. When I think of the purpose of this site, and I have, I suspect that its creators recognized the need and benefits of forming a community for the non secular. It's suspected purpose is to unite non theists and strengthen a non secular movement. It also serves the purpose of fostering new ideas.

Is this a dating site? IMO, that is one of it's characteristics. It is not it's only characteristic. I have met many people here, many of which are friendships not based on dating.

Hang around and probably the same will happen with you.

Again, welcome aboard.

The site professes to have a dual purpose, one being a dating site for nonbelievers, and one larger purpose being to provide a community for same. We are diverse and this site can be an alternative to facebook or used in addition to it. As for the dating site, you can treat it like the usual meat market but it can be used much more beneficially than that because of the community aspect. The more you participate honestly in the community, the more people get to know you and the more you get to know people. You don't have to reach out to potential dates on the basis of a photo or bio. You can see how folks behave here and they can see how you behave. This is much more realistic than just deciding you like a photo which might not even be of the party in question, or a bio that might be stolen off the net.

g

I read this site to be more the latter than the former. No, it is not normal everywhere, but then I'm in the UK.

"Unlike the USA, Great Britain admits the existence of atheists and that we don't eat children. There are even professed atheists in Parliament." - Harry Harrison, one of yours.

Before anyone takes umbrage at your "or worse", I know what you are and are not saying there. I hope others read that properly too.

Croeso i Agnostic.com, ffrind. Welcome, old chap. That's not a reference to age, I'm being awfully English there. The first bit is Cymraeg (I live in North Wales).

Are there Atheist LEADERS in Parliament like the Great Charles Bradlaugh of Northampton, MP 5 times ? Do these current Atheist refuse to swear to gawd&Queen ? How does the house of lords work to make Atheist Bertrand Russell a LORD ??

Whatever you make out of it. I already had good conversations here. Also a few laughs.

A half way house from replacing religion with Atheism to some other house of thinking. It is a good space to explore other resting places. Some people get stuck here but it is a good space. Best part is you can ask ANY question.

To meet like minded people and mental sparring?

I need to stop speed reading. I read this as "To meet like minded people and mental spanking"

@kiramea probably not much difference!

@kiramea like 50 Shades of Heathen Grey. 🙂

@kiramea "And after the spanking...."

Is there an intrinsic purpose to any forum, or rather, is thee merely by happenstance of whatever purpose whatever forum is put to by the end users?

I myself have been in the south too long so I'm not totally sure how it is anywhere else anymore. I'm originally from Wheeling WV. I don't remember things being as bad up there as they are down here. There is prejudice everywhere in the country but it seems they hide more behind the bible down here to justify it.

It takes a bit to figure it out and everyone has their own reasons/objectives. I joined because it said 'agnostic', expecting to meet agnostics, not thinking about the meet women or men thing. One person already mentioned about the distances most likely being too great.
Everyone has a story and this site is about stories and connecting. My aim is to meet people who feel and think (at least in the ballpark) the way I do. My basics: There is just one life per person, religion is a fraud and the supernatural realm does not exist. Happy Halloween. GROG

GROG Level 6 Oct 31, 2019

Same reason I joined.

It is common in any culture dominated by "true believers" in any dogmatic ideology -- political or religious. As a native son of the south, the region gives a double whammy -- both political and religious.

What do you want the site to be for you? Is it dividing you from your family? In my case that division was already there way before I discovered this site.

To pass butter

Cosmo Level 4 Oct 30, 2019

When you find out, let me know. 😉

Observably, the impact of religious difference within families and communities varies. But it may be observed to be greater within fundamentalisms and old time tradition.

Purpose: To get to the other side.

No....it is not normal for religious people to terrorize family or neighbors.....nor is it normal for Atheists to hide from their heaven bribes and hell threats....such bigotry is not normal towards Jews or Buddhists so why ASSUME Atheists deserve less respect ? The purpose here is to find mates and community artistic sharing....simple chatting friends with no alleged gawd agenda

The same as the purpose of life!

No it is not normal. In a secular country such as the UK. believers and non believers happily co exist.

What's the purpose of any group of people getting together?

This is the best format for a dating site. No other dating site provides this for those who reject the existence of an imaginary, all-powerful, invisible friend, telling them what to do.

Limited questions. (Although OK Cupid's unlimited questions provide significant insight to one's ideas and interests but only if one answers as many questions as possible.)

THE BEST BIT: if a particular personage appears appealing, it is possible to review their every post and comment, in CONTEXT, to learn about the real them.

It is possible, via this forum/dating format, to be very informed and prepared, when actually meeting a stranger, in real time, and have a reasonable expectation that such will not be a disaster to remember.

How can that not be wonderful?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:419932
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.