Agnostic.com

565 63

How comfortable are you with the word "Atheist" ?

We don't have a word for non-believers of Santa Claus or non-believers of The Tooth Fairy, yet we live in a world where those who don't believe in God(s) or supernatural religious philosophies are labelled Atheists. I think that the state of non-believing is the normal state of things as it doesn't need to be taught, unlike religions. I am consequently uncomfortable with using the word and I feel that I concede grounds to their insanity when I use it. What are your thoughts?

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

565 comments (476 - 500)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am neither comfortable or uncomfortable with the word "atheist" because it doesn't apply to me. Compared to the history of what we know of the current universe, humans created all their gods- and it was such a short time ago. It just doesn't interest me.

Meh.

To use it in some circumstances it seems harsh, especially here in the south USA. Sometimes I politely just say I am not a believer, or I might say I have found no compelling proof that it really helps anyone or is true. I have done many things for my community and have heard that people have said they didn't think an atheist would be as giving or helpful. I simply say we are all humans and are in this struggle called life together.

I don't have a problem with the term. It's just a word, and although many of the labels we ascribe to people can be too narrow and limited, I don't think "atheist" is.
Where it is a problem is when religious people think of it as another belief system.

JimG Level 8 Nov 5, 2017

Hi JimG, I am curious to know why you feel it is a problem if religious people think of atheism as another belief system?

@mrdunn the only thing we have in common is that we don't believe in gods. Theirs no atheist hierarchy or common ideology. Religious sects have a lot more in common and are more unified in their belief systems than we atheists.

Very comfortable

No problem.

Waltz Level 4 Nov 4, 2017

very

flora Level 3 Nov 4, 2017

I don't think I full understand it. I understand theist is belief in the existence of a god or gods. So why slap an a on the start and have that meaning be the opposite? Is this an English word? Who made it...We need to make a better one.

The "a" is from the Greek word "non" and it means that you are a nontheist.

I understand your point about the idea of labeling us as atheist. However, considering the way in which the English language is structured, we need an adjective to identify ourselves as non-believers. Since atheist has become the official term in the English language, I have no problem being labeled as atheist.

The word is a real word, with the meaning it has. There is no need to deny it describes you, But take ownership and include the context that atheist is a word that theists need, not atheists, and explain how there is commonly some inaccurate/inappropriate/irrational associations with the word among some theists.

Very comfortable; and indifferent to what others may think.

I think Atheist is just a word made up by people who want other people to believe what they believe.

argo Level 4 Nov 3, 2017

Extremely comfortable.

I think that image of G#d pushed at us by most organized religion is not only a grave insult to common sense but if G#d actually existed he/she/it would be supremely pissed at the triviality with which believers tend to describe "G#d" - a petty humourless, vindictive, narrowminded bureaucrat.
As for the term "atheist" - it has a ring of "believing" that there is no G#d (in the absence of possibility of proof). The best I can say - and stay intellectually honest is that existence G#d is highly unlikely taking into accounts facts known to me.

when anyone says merry xmas to me i want to puke. oh well let them celebrate their silly fairy in the sky.

can be construed to mean " here's to 3 public holidays and the winter solstice"

I'm comfortable with the word, but I prefer to call myself a non-theist (even though it really means the same thing) just because a lot of people have a visceral reaction to the word "atheist" and append their own baggage to the word, making productive conversation harder in some cases. When fewer assumptions are made about what I believe (or don't believe), the more opportunities there are to have fruitful discussions.

I realize the question is talking more about the need for the label, and I've heard the argument that we don't have a word for people who lack belief in leprechauns or don't believe in healing crystals, etc., which is true, but it's not merely because they are non-belief concepts that we don't have a word for it. The majority of people don't believe in those things. That's not the case with belief in God or gods. The reason we have a word for the nonbeliever is because the majority view is theistic. It's similar to how people who don't believe the world is round are "flat-earthers" and we don't have a real label for people who accept that the earth is round. I think it has less to do with whether the claim is positive or negative, or whether it's true or false, and more about describing the outliers.

perfectly fine

Perfectly

I don't like any label that defines me.

I understand your plight, but i honestly think its because as an intellect people we tend to need labels for all things, i guess for understanding and clarity towards it. Words like texting, aren't that old. But not believing in a doctrine that's shoved down the throats of billions entices the need of a label. What's sad is how misrepresented the non-believer community is, i honestly thought you all were satanic, but thats the southern Baptist talking????

I'm comfortable with the word, but it does carry a stigma with many people. I often find myself trying to explain what it means then answering a million questions after, it can be exhausting.

I have no problem at all using the word atheist and I don't feel that I've conceded any ground to the religious. I agree that the state of not believing should be the "default" state, and maybe someday it will be.

I've identified as an Atheist for my entire adult life. I agree that it's an odd word, considering there is no word for people who don't believe in Santa, the tooth fair, the Easter Bunny, etc. But I see no reason to be uncomfortable with it. The religious may not like it, but I use the word with pride.

Sometimes I'm uncomfortable with a specific situation, so I say I'm non-religious instead, just because that seems to be easier for people to get their heads around.

It is just a label

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:454
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.